Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Formula1 Oz Tunnel Boats

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonHill
    I'll say this about your Switzer project, I know thle lift moves forward very fast on those mother at around 100...and one 2.5 S-3000 of today will, and..hell, I'm telling you, the man who did all of the testing for Mercury's S-3000, how much power those mothers have
    !!!
    Ron:

I'm afraid you've got me confused with Sherlock.

T2x
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sorry, I was Confused

You screwed me up, I saw the wing with Sherlock's name painted on the side.....and off I went..

Add to the weight of drivers: I do know that at one time, OMC hired Rick Keller to time all their boats and all thier drivers....I know that: 1. My laps times were very consistant 2. My laps times usually were faster than expected, considering the power I had..... That was why Jimbo and drove together at Paris, 1972, my last Paris.... OMC put their two best Paris drivers together...

This statement "no kahunas", I missed the happy face. I've been assured he'll take it very easy....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonHill
    You screwed me up, I saw the wing with Sherlock's name painted on the side.....and off I went..

Add to the weight of drivers: I do know that at one time, OMC hired Rick Keller to time all their boats and all thier drivers....I know that: 1. My laps times were very consistant 2. My laps times usually were faster than expected, considering the power I had..... That was why Jimbo and drove together at Paris, 1972, my last Paris.... OMC put their two best Paris drivers together...

This statement "no kahunas", I missed the happy face. I've been assured he'll take it very easy....
    Having been quite thin at one time in my life, it seems to me that a larger guy could spend more time focused on running hard through the slop and less time worrying about trimming into head winds....... It always amazed me how 5-10#'s in the nose of one of my tunnel boats made fantastic differences in trim....... Perhaps, you were able to use a more positive trim setting to achieve the same attack angle as a lighter competitor...... and thereby have a free-er handling boat as a result?

Whatever, with the aerodynamics, limited HP and high tunnel compression we were dealing with back then there were definitely "different strokes for different folks".

T2x
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default No Kahuna's

Confucious say: sometimes man with no Kahuna's also have no sense of humour

Seriously guys I meant no disrepect with my comment, it was all in jest and have the upmost respect for you guys who have been there and done it all before me.

I also have a very healthy respect for what can happen with high powered race boats, I too have a great deal of experience with them and have seen good friends passing away prior to the introduction of cells.

Umm just a quick question, T2X's Switzer V's Guys Mollinari, does anyone really believe that the Switzer would be faster?? I would have thought it impossible to get that thing up to the top speed of the Mollinari without it blowing over backwards.
    Cheers Des

Post Thanks / Like

Default No Kahunas

HEY ALL....AM I OK HERE???

I meant no disrepect TO ANYONE for sure......

I have tons of RESPECT for John Sherlock and T2x.....(Just reading you moto: I can break anything.... when I first raced for OMC, Mouse would say, Hill can break anything we make)....I just thought you were obsolete and pround of it...I didn't know you could break things, too!!!!

Am I correct that you, John Sherlock did much testing, under contract for Mercury Racing, the S-3000 engine. I was told this, but not by you...I know for a fact, you did th piston testing for the Formula One/Champboat engines..(S-3000)...

Be safe, all of you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onwatermarineservices
    Umm just a quick question, T2X's Switzer V's Guys Mollinari, does anyone really believe that the Switzer would be faster?? I would have thought it impossible to get that thing up to the top speed of the Mollinari without it blowing over backwards.
    Cheers Des
    Since the Wings don't have a major history of blowing over and the fact that Dave Switzer himself has said he thought the larger ones were underpowered, I'd say there is a very good chance that T2X's rig would be as fast or faster than the Moli and not have any difficulty staying upright ... but, most likely - like how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll ... the world may never know.
    Last edited by Mark75H; 11-17-2006 at 06:11 PM.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Parker 2007???

What is the chance of us seeing this WING at Parker 2007???

I'll pay the entry fee in a heart beat!!!

And if we could get El Diablo, too!!! WOW!!!

Remember "THE OLD DAYS" at Parker???
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Preserving OMC Heritage LIQUID NIRVANA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default F1 V8

Does anyone know if there any other EFI F1 V8's in Oz. They are very rare now! I believe there is one in Chicago on a Seebold with new ignition & EFI system running at 10600rpm. Total reliability, crisp BRUTAL acceleration. They are the engine to have. With the RIGHT TLC they WILL anniahilate any outboard ever built with total reliability.

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

crisp BRUTAL acceleration.
    WILL anniahilate

twin 8's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onwatermarineservices
    Cheers Des
    Good question.....

Power to weight goes to the Switzer...but the Molinari is a much newer design...so how to determine?

If this was an 18 foot Wing, you could make a case for the Molinari, because the 18's had a backflip or two at between 115 and 120 mph. However,the book on the 20' Switzer is somewhat different in that it had a bit less lift and more length, designed specifically for bigger engines and more speed than the 18. One other point however is that the worst backflips with the 18's occurred with power trim and admissions afterward that the drivers had trimmed out prior to the blowovers. Ken Kitson, probably the best wing driver of them all, is insistent that you must run a "tuck under" engine angle...and a fully deployed tunnel tab to raise the stern at speed...anything else will raise the attack angle of the wing section and cause "lift off". The truth is that the same disastrous effect will occur with an over trimmed tunnel hull.... the only difference being the engine angle at which it occurs.

On paper..(again no proof) ..The Wings are 4 point hydros and a hydro...3 or 4 point should be able to attain higher speeds than a tunnel hull strictly based on attack angle. Tunnels must have some form of positive hull angle..even if only 1-2 degrees because of the sponson length, whereas a hydro can run dead level or even a tad "downhill".).

The wild card is the lift built into the wing section of the old Switzers and whether or not they will remain level given a higher speed ground effect and the compression inherent therein. We (George Linder and I) designed an updated Wing about 10 years ago for a world speed record attempt that never quite materialised. The goal was 200 mph..and the wing section on the design had drastically less lift than the Switzer (As did the entire hull)..... but the power to weight ratio was not that different from mine.

My guess..and it is just that a guess...is that the Molinari will max out at 140-145..and the Wing might stay on the water up to that speed.... I'd like to be in neither hull at that moment .

Acceleration goes to the wing( purely based on the power of twins)..and turning prowess goes to the Moli..rough water is a draw IMHO. On a race course take the Moli...for a kilo...I'm not so sure.

T2x
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

Thread Information