Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Formula1 Oz Tunnel Boats

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Molinari V8 OZ

More pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful job.......... Congratulations.

T2x
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

Preserving OMC Heritage LIQUID NIRVANA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wonderful work!!!

Guy,

That truly is awesome. You should be proud that it is almost finished. The team who did this amazing restoration should be congratulated for their beautiful work. Now lets see that motor completed & dialed in. Us plain envious folk have just gotta see lots of PICTURES & VIDEOS of it on the water. Please share it with us. You all have done yourselves proud. Congratulations.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bert and Helen Hines

Hi Ron,
    Here is some evidence for you of the existance of Bert and Helen, this shot was taken at their home in Sydney 3 days ago in the trophy room. They were absolutely rapt to here that you had asked after them and would love to make contact and if you could give me an address for them to send you a letter; they dont use a computer. Apparently there was something said about a missing prop that did not get back to you, but maybe Bert can explain that.I spent many hours with them that day talking about "the good old days" which I believe were! and I was born 20 years too late. I also followed up your old boat that came out here that Bert sold for you. It was bought by Darrah Sheather, do you remember him? unfortunately he had the boat up until last year stored for over 20 years , when a bush fire went through and whiped nearly everything out except their house!!!!! it would have been a beautiful rig!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bert and Helen Hines Look Great

Too bad, they didn't have a guy like Ross Wallach around. Ross told me if he wanted him to support him for OPC Chairman, about 1998, I'd need to do E-Mail... Ross started me on a journey that I see no end to it...

I sure wish Bert and Helen "COMPUTERED"...

I got so excited to think you'd found my OLD SCOTTI...then to read it had burned ina wild fire...My mind's eye, just saw the whole boat going up in flames...

Love to get with Bert and post some of his Boat Racing pictures, of which I'm sure he has hundreds...

Not sure the prop you were talking about..but some how feel it may have been a little tongue (LOL) in cheek joke....as Bert and I did a lot of prop dealing over the years.

Did he fill you in about the Molinari?? Did bert say much about the Scotti he bought from Mike Wallace that my dad and he rigged at my dad's?

E-Mail me at www.hillmarine.com or go to sales...as my current e-mail is history anyday now...(I didn't nofiy them I was moving so,...anyway... www.hillmarine.com is how to get a hold of me)...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bert and Helen Hines

I have some of Berts photo albums here and will in the future post some pictures and articles, I will need a scanner I spose or could try photographing them. I found amongst the news paper clippings a letter of congratulations from Ralph Evinrude on Berts breaking 100 mph in 1974 actually did 102.145 in January 1974. I am sure many people will find these interesting. i will be formating and compiling as much as I can on this era of racing. Talk to you soon, I better go and get this V8 running.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ken, and T2x thanks for the great comments , Ken i had a look at your liquid Nirvana site , you are doing a fantastic job, some pictures i have never seen before and I have really looked!!!! ckeep up the great work.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes its a long slog finding all those pics. What do you think of the twin F1 V8 on the Molinari, driven by Renato. I believe he was racing in the UNLIMITED UNRESTRICTED inboard & Outboard class. This was APBA virtually anything goes class. Boats like Budweiser & the like. Boats had to be 28' long His boat was around 21 feet but with a wing on the rear to bring it to 28 feet. VERY VERY SCARY. Up with the John Rudes. Wish I could get some help from some of these F1 drivers. Mark Rothamel has contributed. Love to here more from Jim Nerstrom, Johnny Sanders, Gene Thibodaux & Cees Van de Velden . They must have so many cool pictures. All this cool picture history are hidden in thousands of shoeboxes. Guy, your boat is a beautiful bit of gear mate. As far as I know there are no other Race V8's in Australia. Those Yanks have absolutely no idea what they take for granted. One day all these engines will all be gone & the heritage will only exist on sites like this.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Twin V8 Molinari

The twin V8 Molinari was raced at the Unlimited Gold Cup Race in Clear Lake, Texas. Jimbo ran the Second Effort four engine V8 tunnel at that race and finished second in the Gold Cup final. Jimbo went through a roster tail from one of the unlimited boats and the water spray hit him so hard it broke his nose. The Molinari was so small, compared the the rest of the field, it looked really out of place. Renato made special motor covers for his engines which were more aerodynamic than the factory cover. We tested these later and used the idea when we designed the new cover for the EFI V8. We went to Gilly's and the Italians had a great time riding the bucking bull. This was when the Unlimited guys were still running piston engines, pushing lots of Nitrous Oxide into them and had high failure rates. Although we were not quite as fast we could finish the race.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NERSTROM View Post
    The twin V8 Molinari was raced at the Unlimited Gold Cup Race in Clear Lake, Texas. Jimbo ran the Second Effort four engine V8 tunnel at that race and finished second in the Gold Cup final. Jimbo went through a roster tail from one of the unlimited boats and the water spray hit him so hard it broke his nose. The Molinari was so small, compared the the rest of the field, it looked really out of place. Renato made special motor covers for his engines which were more aerodynamic than the factory cover. We tested these later and used the idea when we designed the new cover for the EFI V8. We went to Gilly's and the Italians had a great time riding the bucking bull. This was when the Unlimited guys were still running piston engines, pushing lots of Nitrous Oxide into them and had high failure rates. Although we were not quite as fast we could finish the race.
    Jim, that has to be one of the most amazing pieces of HERITAGE I have ever read. I had no idea. You have things tucked away in that brain of yours that would enrapture many of us for a very long time. I'll be here when you are ready. THANKYOU.
    PS You should write a book mate. I'll send a deposit. I'll pay for it today if you like.

Thread Information