Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bill Tenney's Class C Alky Twin Engine Couplers??

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=1182

If you could redo some of those images at 200 dpi instead of 72 we could see them better
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Not in the cards right now but the future?

It would be great to do it all over again or redo some with more commentary and in between racing and pit shots too on these Anzani engines but time is not handy right now but sometime in the future as things slow a bit maybe possibly.

Post Thanks / Like

Default More Bill Tenney

Here is a shot of Bill running a Neal Hydro with I think an SR. The other is Larry Swor in a Dubinski with the motor that, later on, had the double setup of megaphones and expansion chambers. I want to add a little note that my racing partner at the time, Denny Guentzel, bought a B Konig from Dieter in Bill's driveway. Dieter was Bill's guest and had a Konig for sale that he was personally racing here in the states and Denny went over and bought it. I don't know if Bill ever knew.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Nice Picts

When you look at the Dubinksi hydro with Anzani, that engine is one that required 2 DelOrto remote fuel bowls, that engine was hungry! You could tell which Anzanis could potentially run faster by the size or the number of DelOrto remote fuel bowls that were held aloft on the metal stick higher over the Anzani flywheel feeding that Vacturi.

The Dubinski hydro itself I can remember the style of hydro. I never recalled what the bottom looked like but the top is reminicent of Hal Kellys' Jupiter and Ben Hur but also of in later years the Hedlunds you saw running B-Stock with Merc 20H conversions. Those Anzanis sure hauled. I remember in one heat one year it was nearly all Anzani with the odd Konig with real long bells on it like the air horns off a semi-transport truck and Alky conversion deflector Mercs mixed in too but the Anzanis did all the winning.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Tim - Where my albums ended up

I used to have 3 major picture albums mainly of black and white shots from the mid 1960s onward taken initially by my parents who enjoyed boatracing that I entirely took over and kept filling after that. Unfortunately I was also dumb enough to catalogue the negatives with the albums at the end of the pictures sections. Well, I loaned those to a local racer who I didn't know was in the weird science trade of drugs and he got bust! His wife while he was in the hoosegow for a 5 year sentence, she sold his house, car, truck, clothes, furniture and all including his 2 raceboats, trailer and engines plus another local racer's trailered raceboat stuff, same classes times 2 and she went home to mom to Toronto with the proceeds, never to be seen again. My albums either got sold with all the stuff or tossed at the end so she had no reminders! I still have some slides but they are of my early days running stock and I did find a picture of the big spoilered F hydro G-711 that now sits in a collage picture on the wall with other tidbits scrounged from other boxes. I am a bit of a packrat too but those albums I am always going to miss.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dubinski

Dub Parker took the Jupiter and enlarged it a little to a size the alky could use and it still had the "S" bottom. I scaled one down as a J for one of my boys. At that time the 60-J held the APBA record at 38 mph. Ours showed 42 on a speedometer. First ride my kid came in with eyes the size of dinner plates - he was flying the sponsons 6" off the water. My other boy wanted one too but I built him a picklefork and it was a dog. And I understand your loss of the photos I had a collection that the widow of a photographer in Minneapolis gave me (racing pics from 1930-1965). I had them at work in my spare time shooting litho negs, planning on printing them in a book. The janitor threw it all away.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default I found the majority if 1 Amal Monbloc for the A Anzani

Tim"

To make that original picture of the British Anzani 4 cylinder as you have in the picture, I would need a couple of Amal Monoblocks, so I went looking in the bins and found one without the round slide, jet needle, spring or body top cap. I supposed lost somewhere, but not here, I am packratish. Went to a local British bike store known to have Amal carbs and parts around for British bikes....... with prices that would take your breath away! I am gonna look in a few more cotton padded boxes at home, just by chance something might turn up but it seems everything has been tosses at least once. For a 25 mm Amal Monoblock sidedraft complete was $250.00 plus taxes for a used part??? Ouch.

Is here any possibility in your pictures you have a somewhat seeable running or stopped picture(s) of the Anzani with the 2 stage switchable exhaust system. Since I have the one section of what appears to be one expansion chamber they were developing, maybe the picture can give approximations on the whole look of one or both pipes attached or beside the motor when they were doing it? Making it does not have to be dead accurate but close enough to be a reasonable recreation. Some people that see this stuff in local shows seem to think all 2 stroke technologies just happened on very resent times. How wrong they are.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 4 pipe 2 cyl Anzani

I don't think I have a photo of it bacause back then if there was a choice of spending the buck and a half on a six-pac or a roll of film - the film always lost. Maybe that's why I have a digital camera now. I'm thinking the expansion chambers curved, like a rams horn. But, maybe that was something Kay Harrison had. I know Kay had one where the pipes pointed to the front of the boat with the motor fixed and only the gearcase turned. I do have a couple of photos somewhere where Larry and I are running side-by-side but I think they pre-date that setup.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default The beer versus the film and then the rumor mill

Your oh so very right about the beer versus the film or for that matter busy people being asked to take your or some other pictures for you. The one time I absolutely said yes to was while I was in Miami I was asked to take a picture of New York's biggest bookie, his girlfriend a third of his age to shortly become his wife and the elderly fella that asked me to with his New York accent. I think you know why I said YES! to that request.

The only section of pipe I have that could be some expansion chamber begins with spring loading from the block/exhaust port side then straight though from the join collar to the rest of the pipe which is exponential to its center flange that locked up with more exhaust after that yet in the middle with a 9 nut and bolted flange. This section bears no resemblance to anything even off my oldest computer pipe formulas so it remains a mystery.

I heard but never seen the fixed engine and pipes concept that the gearcase turned as a unit. Some one there I heard developed a kind of system when the driver turned the engine "knuckle" holding the gearcase would kick the gearcase and prop out slightly and when aiming the raceboat straight again, the knuckle tucked the gearcase in again but I never did know if that was on a hydro, runabout or what kind of engine or for that matter who did that????

The twin megaphoned upper and lower exhaust system probably worked fine within its concept but the pipes all setup with megaphones and those switchable elbos weight a full 3 times more than a standard set of braced pipes. The cast aluminum tower neck was being asked a lot of by look of the broken one. There is a casting mark on all the aluminum castings, the word is "Lynite". Some type of aluminum alloy or the maker company? So far internet searches have produced little on that name. I have some castings with the word "Lodite" on them like the Anzani racing pistons. Again, the maker? or the alloy??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor
    There is a casting mark on all the aluminum castings, the word is "Lynite". Some type of aluminum alloy or the maker company? So far internet searches have produced little on that name.
    Lynite was a name brand aluminum-copper alloy (2% to 11% copper depending on the application). Practically all 1920's & 1930's light weight pistons and lighter case castings were made of Lynite and advertized as such by the motor manufacturers - Johnson, Evinrude, Caille, Lockwood, Cadillac, LaSalle, etc It was a product of LYNITE LABORATORIES, THE ALUMINUM CASTINGS COMPANY, CLEVELAND, OHIO. Cases were this alloy: 90% aluminum, 7.8% copper, 1.5% zinc, 1.3% iron
    Last edited by Mark75H; 09-25-2006 at 05:05 PM.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Thread Information