Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C, D Alky Deflectors - Magneto with belt idler pulley?

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default C, D Alky Deflectors - Magneto with belt idler pulley?

When rebuilding a 55H 3rd Port Quincy/Merc deflector with single ring Turners and gawd awful compression, the first time I tried to start it and doing so it snapped off the timing belt. I seen the same thing happen at a racesite to a Alky 44 on a Buyers hydro. Same thing happened the second time, so I went looking for a tighter belt in the pile I got finding 2 similar tighter ones out of some twenty new and used ones. I heard that someone had the same problem as well that the problem also happens with Mercs self energizing Lightning Ignition they used on some Merc 500s. That they resolved it by using an spring loaded idler pulley on the system to deal with slack belts or abrupt changes in belt tension. Does anyone have a picture of such an idle pulley setup system to stop belts from snapping so easy?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Belt snapping

Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor
    When rebuilding a 55H 3rd Port Quincy/Merc deflector with single ring Turners and gawd awful compression, the first time I tried to start it and doing so it snapped off the timing belt. I seen the same thing happen at a racesite to a Alky 44 on a Buyers hydro. Same thing happened the second time, so I went looking for a tighter belt in the pile I got finding 2 similar tighter ones out of some twenty new and used ones. I heard that someone had the same problem as well that the problem also happens with Mercs self energizing Lightning Ignition they used on some Merc 500s. That they resolved it by using an spring loaded idler pulley on the system to deal with slack belts or abrupt changes in belt tension. Does anyone have a picture of such an idle pulley setup system to stop belts from snapping so easy?
    I just built a 44 Mod engine using a Merc 500 for a base engine. I tried the stock Merc Lightning Energizer ignition and have not snapped a built except for the first time I tried to start it. It was a really worn belt and had the throttle opened too much. With a new belt and swinging the mag, the engine starts easy and have had no belt problem. I am goint to build another along with a C Mod Merc using the same ignition. I like the idea there are no points as the Magnito or a battery as with the Thunderbolt ignition. I think the key is to not lock the distributer in the advance position so it can bite. Bob Rusnak N-96
    Last edited by Bob Rusnak; 09-15-2006 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Wrong boat number
    Bob Rusnak

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default A swinging Lightening and Merc P4 both did it, so I locked

This slack belt problem is on the newer Merc 44 block, an Anniversary Special and it used the Lightening ignition system where the distributor is also the energizer instead of a magnetic flywheel its all in the swing out energiizer/distributor that has a trigger solid state box and that hockeypuck Merc coil. This slack belt problem exists, so I went cog hunting, came up with some nearly new/little worn cogs on both sides but still a slack belt being about 1/4 deflection that feels slack. It will break those two tighter belts whether its the Lightening system that has huge magnetic drag for what it is or the P4 magnetoes. When I used the swign out system I can't remember how many belts I snapped so I gave up my Lightenings back to the marina they came from and they phone me anytime they come across a P4 magneto in whole or major parts. I have not been back there and I am using P4 magnetoes because I got a good dozen and they don't snap many belts on these slackers like using the Lightenings did. I have 2 motors that are slack belted like this and somehow I gotta cure this. I never time higher than and between .265 to .280 maximum advance anyway (little performance differnces) and locked on 40s and 44s and the others never snap their belts, just these 2 slackers of which the one is the Anniversary Special Classic 44. I am rebuilding an old NOA registered Merc 40 cube Merc/Quincy Alky for a collector too and it also has the slack belt problem and he wants to run it on occassion so some kind of cure is needed on 3 fronts.

Its interesting that you are having success with the Lightenings, after 2 seasons here I gave up on them and that was still in the 1990s. I swam in parts for them and gave them all up to the marina a friend owns but I kept one real grundy system just to look at because its so sunbleached and decrepid, I felt like tossing it and its has just sat for years here on the shelf still, getting even dustier adding to its decriptude! When I saw what looked like them and then one having it all on a 44 Merc sold on eBay complete, I was shaking my head saying it can not be? I believe it was a motor assembled for sale by Fast Fred and it sold. That was the last I heard but even he used a smaller ignition coil on it than the big hockeypuck coil that normally goes on them.

I had a Merc with trigger box and 4 coils that required a magnetic flywheel that was near as heavy and draggy as the Merc/Mariner 2 carb 3 cylinder 65s and 70s. I believe that is why Merc/Mariner 44X stockers used factory aluminum racing flywheels instead of the casting and flexplate ferros type. Here magnetos are plentiful in my garage, so I don't even want to begin to screw with that system which I hear is not trouble free either?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ignition

Quote Originally Posted by David_L6
    Bob,

Does the ignition you are using require a full flywheel with magnets? If it's what I'm thinking of it has 4 coils mounted on the side of the block towards the rear???
    No, just a small rope plate is needed. The magnets are in the distributor. It is the same size as a Magnito with out the points. There is a small CD pack and a coil which mounts seperately. It came off the mid 1970's Merc 500 engines. If you need to see what it looks like I can post a picture of it on the engine...Bob N-96
    Last edited by Bob Rusnak; 09-15-2006 at 06:59 PM.
    Bob Rusnak

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1,000 words

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Rusnak
    No, just a small rope plate is needed. The magnets are in the distributor. It is the same size as a Magnito with out the points. There is a small CD pack and a coil which mounts seperately. It came off the mid 1970's Merc 500 engines. If you need to see what ir looks like I can post a picture of it on the engine...Bob N-96
    Pic. please, David seems to be asking my questions,lol.
    RichardF

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Merc Ignition

Quote Originally Posted by RichardKCMo
    Pic. please, David seems to be asking my questions,lol.
    RichardF
    Hear are two pictures of the D Mod with the Energizer Ignition
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Bob Rusnak

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Similar setup but still snapped slack belts

That is basically the same way I toiled with it in your pictures, the CD, but Merc 55H stock racing flywheel instead and Keller rope plate instead but still used the big hockey puck coil after being advised that the small coils would overheat and fail??? so I stayed with it big. The core on a lightening similar to a P4?? Not really, its bigger/wider with a lot more drag than the P4 magneto. Same trigger box but distributor/energizer locked in BTDC degrees with throttle coming off the bottom carb bottom shaft output. Snapped belts and belt was slack to begin with along with a host of new and used belts tried. For you it, the CD system in the picts must obviously work, I got tired of broken belts and quit using it. It still snaps the odd belt with a P4 magneto because it still slack though now I use Merc 500 flexplate type cores instead of made for racing flywheels like for the Merc 30H and or 55H. I have this belt slackness on 2 others to varying degrees but the tensioner/idler setup I hear about but have not seen yet. Will have to see how automotive jocks deal with belts to get some idea on inventing a version I suppose.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Belt Tension pully

Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor
    That is basically the same way I toiled with it in your pictures, the CD, but Merc 55H stock racing flywheel instead and Keller rope plate instead but still used the big hockey puck coil after being advised that the small coils would overheat and fail??? so I stayed with it big. The core on a lightening similar to a P4?? Not really, its bigger/wider with a lot more drag than the P4 magneto. Same trigger box but distributor/energizer locked in BTDC degrees with throttle coming off the bottom carb bottom shaft output. Snapped belts and belt was slack to begin with along with a host of new and used belts tried. For you it, the CD system in the picts must obviously work, I got tired of broken belts and quit using it. It still snaps the odd belt with a P4 magneto because it still slack though now I use Merc 500 flexplate type cores instead of made for racing flywheels like for the Merc 30H and or 55H. I have this belt slackness on 2 others to varying degrees but the tensioner/idler setup I hear about but have not seen yet. Will have to see how automotive jocks deal with belts to get some idea on inventing a version I suppose.
    I had a C alky merc that used a simple ball bearing mounted on a cam style sleeve that would ride on the outside of the belt. It can be adjusted by loosening the attach bolt and rotating the bearing. This was used because the Magnito was fixed in the advance position and would bite when trying to start. I believe by rotating (swinging) the distributor will stop the belt breaking. These belts run year after year on pleasure engines with out any problems. I have not used this bearing on the D mod as I swing the disrtibutor. The bearing (idler pully) is very similar to the Konig rotary valve belt tension and alignment system....Bob N-96
    Bob Rusnak

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Region ?

Bob, what region do you race in ?
    I live in KC Mo.area and go to some NBRA races,i've only seen a couple of non mag ignitions. It seems as though some sure have problems with mags.

I wonder about cost , i've heard some elect. ignitions are pricey.
    Thanks for the pics.
    Richard

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Bob, Your description is a viable/doable one

I went to the local wreckyard this morning and seen some serpentine belt apps for the Ford Taurus V-6 in particular and what you described in your earlier post today is what I saw applied as you described. Just a bearing spindle fixed on an adjustable plate either stiff or spring loaded leaning on the reverse side of the belt on either side (carb or otherside) will do it like you described. With reading your post I went out to the garage into my bearing supplies and found that ideal bearing, the same being run under the cog pulley at the top of the magneto adapter assembly. Fashioning the the spindle and mounting plate even spring loaded on paper looks like an easy adaptation to mount either inboard or outboard crank wise off the front case. The only thing the Ford Taurus has is a pulley covering the bearing with a lip so the serpintine belt doesn't jump out, but that is un-necessary with a Merc 4 as the belt is well contained at the flywheel and at the magneto cogs. With thanks, idea has been verified.

Thread Information