Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Super E/Formula E

Post Thanks / Like

Just measured mine. 35" bottom with a 13-1/2" x 3/4" tunnel. All I can do is bolt the monster on the back and see what happens.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default You are Fine

36" is a very nice width for a SEH. I have never run anything wider and don't have a lot of trouble with ET through the corners. I would not build anything much wider than 36" for a competition SEH/FEH. That is packing a lot of air and can lead to unwanted developments when gusts come around, or entering a corner.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 36 is OK

Wider will not be a problem either. John Runne made one 40" wide and loved it ... planned on making the next one even wider. From what I saw of the 40" wide boat it had very good manners; as far as I know it is collecting dust
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 42" bottom

I do know of an FE boat that has 42" bottom and it is one of the most stable boats I have seen in the class. If you do build wider bottom 38,40 etc... Then there is nothing saying that you cannot take some lift OUT of it when you build it.

Regards,
    Dave Scott
    Ottawa, Canada
    Need Race Parts - http://stores.ebay.com/Aim-Outboard-Recyclers
    www.aimoutboards.com

20-CE DSH
    20-CE DMH

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lift

Take lift out, lose the Pop out of the corner in my opinion. Just in my opinion I think 36" is fine and wider is not needed in most cases.

Tim, Double up the cross frames in the transom, and the next two or three and your twisting and tweaking problems go away. If possible sandwhich some carbon and glass between them. It makes them unbelivablly strong. A cheaper way than carbon is to use some 5mm or 6mm plywood with the grain going the right way. This adds a lot of strength without adding a ton of weight. I have a Roper Hydro (currently MJR Composites) that is almot 14 years old, and it to this day has not tweaked. I ran that boat a LOT until a few years ago when I built myself a lighter boat. The old girl just gained to much weight over the years to ET out of the corner with me in it. Dad in it brought it back alive and won a race against the top competitors fairly easily.

Just some thoughts in case you decide to modify the hull you found. Yes, the OMC 3 Holers torq worse than almost any Alky, and vibrate....... my gosh, they shake until you hit RPM. I check all the nuts and bolts after every weekend, on the boat and motor. The newer style cranks are a little better than the older for balance, but they still are not good.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Runne Custom 2-Strokes

973-948-8885
    Brent 17W

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tim

If you need any help with something, give me a hollar, glad to help out if I can. Good to see ya at the NBRA race earlier this year. Should be fun mixing it up with you this next season.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Serial Numbers...

Are there any special serial number that are the one people want for a Formula E? I'm heading to Apple Valley Marine, this Friday, and would like to dig through a pile of motors, but don't want to dig out junk....

I know it is powerheads only, that are needed, but are there certain years that are in demand???

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default No

Nothing special I know of. There are so many of them it is hard to find a bad one. Just get a 70 HP OMC. Call it a JohnRude if you want.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Formula E

Ron, this is insider information - the best blocks were always kept to build Evinrudes. Why do you think Jimbo was always so fast!!

Thread Information