Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legg Lake Racing...

Default Legg Lake Racing...

Grouchy Jr. gave me this CD at Bakersfield....Let's see what he'd got...
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Default Well, Hell...

The man in the sport's hat is Jimmy Johnson, of 45 SS, Mod C and tunnel boat fame....The older of the two is Jim Sr.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 10-04-2006 at 02:07 PM.

Default Making Progress...

This gentleman, is Jack Oxley, NAMBA's chief spokesman to the county. Jack use to rce for McCullough, now he works with NAMBA, they have cement grandstands, and cement area for the racers...

Grouchy, Jr. rest of the pictures are too large...and....I don't know how to make them smaller...

Maybe, SAM or Broc will help me!

Thanks fore the pictures...

Default Great to see

Its great to see Legg lake back up and running. I heard they had quite a weed problem this spring and had to shut it down . Sure would like to see Jack get involved with BRF. He must have some old storys and pictures to share. If nothing else just show us rc boat pictures. Rc boats are really a kick and just as tempramental as any Alky around.

Team Member

Default Model pond?

Shure looks like the model lake at Vacation Village in Mission Bay S.D. Ca., neat.
    RichardKCMo

Team Member

Default Further Explanation

I have to thank Mr Ron Hill, and others, for putting this site together and allowing us the opportunity to learn the "real facts" about boat racing. All of the pictures that Mr Hill was able to post were directly "borrowed" from the www.namba19.com website. This is our model boating "bible" and has hundreds of photos, resources, and links to the rest of the model boating world.

The first five pictures are from Camarillo, Ca. The top picture is Jimmy Johnsons' fleet of boats. The second is typical inboard mono action. The third is an outrigger style 3 point hydro with one too many engines. The fourth is Jim Johnson launching his dads boat. The fifth picture is Jimmy standing near two of the tunnel boats he would gladly help you with in becomming an RC boater (go to the namba19.com website for more details).

The sixth picture is a fleet of yellow mono hulls at San Diego Model Yacht Pond located on Mission Bay Vacation Island (directly across the street from where the unlimited hydros pit during thier September race). Pictures seven thru nine are "major league" model booaters at McKellips Park in Scottsdale, Arizona. Picture ten is catamaran and mono back at Camarillo.

Picture eleven is the 1/8th scale unlimiteds at Concord, CA (these boats are not usually for the Novice level boater0. Picture twelve is to let you know that "little boats" can generate "big appetites!!" and that this is a family based sport that takes the time to have fun, tell "big" stories, and eat some food. Remember--we don't have to fit inside our boats!!

Picture thirteen is an example that advertising/sponsorship opportunities can be realized at a reasonable expense (Sport-21 or 3.5cc engine). Picture fourteen is another "hobbyist" with a desire to use one too many engines. Picture fifteen is a "cool" looking tunnel (#1150) with a modified K&B engine.

Pictures sixteen thru nineteen were correctly identified as RC boating at San Diego. Sixteen is Mr Jack Oxley. Picture seventeen is an outboard mono (This is one of the few classes that has mostly "original" home built boat designs. The boat pictured is being controlled by an 80 plus year old former mideget racer named Friday Shackelford.). Picture eighteen are tunnel boats racing on either Labor Day or Memorial Day weekends at San Diego. The last picture are those beautiful 1/8th scale boats.

I'll post more later if people are interested.

Thumbs up Post till you drop

I , for one , would like to see anything you have to post. Some of us oldtimers have dabbled a little with rc boating and really enjoy it and the more you show what is available the more racers can see that the objective is to have fun . I am not saying to take away from BIG boat racing but to have fun at a race after all the heats are over . Let the grandkids run some good rc boats and see how much fun it is to compete with each other. Then they might want to experiance the real thing for a while.
    I dont understand why Bakersfield , with all there little lakes do not have anything set aside for rc boatracing. You try to run something out there and they run you off. I have talked to parks and rec. and they said " come talk to us and we will see what we can do "
    There is a new lake in the works just out of Bakersfield that someone is building that will be tied in to a hobby shop that sounds like it will be a good race site for rc boating. Its around Shafter somewhere . If there is any intrest I can check with a local hobby shop that was telling me about it and get back with the info .

Team Member

Default Same but diff.

Just as much fun to watch, except [GO FAST TURN RIGHT].
    Was at Mission Bay in 70s when they had boats that were mailed there from other states to Race, lasted all weekend.
    RichardKCMo
    Last edited by RichardKCMo; 10-06-2006 at 12:55 AM. Reason: spellig

Default Met Some Nice Guys Today...

Not sure these guys names...Bunker Hill is on and so is Rob Hitchcock...But here are some pictures...

Default Didn't See Bunker's Fishing Poles, Did You???

Somebody left Bunker's fishing poleat the lake...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information