Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Remembering "The Legend" Tom Gentry

www.SharkeyMarine.com SHARKEYMARINE's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Remembering "The Legend" Tom Gentry

January 15th, 2005

May we all take a moment today to remember Tom Gentry.

It's been over 11 years since his Key West crash and 7 years ago today since he passed away.

Tom Gentry was a legend offshore powerboat racer who set several world records before a crash at the 1994 Key West World Offshore Championship that left him hospitalized and in a coma for 4 years. Just a month before the crash, Gentry, who already owned the transatlantic speed record, captured a new world record, reaching an average speed of 157.4 mph.

Tom Gentry died @ age 67 in Honolulu, Jan. 15, 1998 of respiratory failure.

May God bless him and his family...

Info on the Gentry Eagle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hawaiian Sports Hall of Fame: Tom Gentry

Aloha Ron,
    My name is Candes Gentry, I am Tom Gentry's youngest daughter. I don't know if you remember him, or perchance knew him. He was an offshore Power Boat racer who won the world championships in 1976 he brought the Sam Griffiths Trophy back to the United States, becoming the UIM World Champion. Gentry won his second World Championship in 1987, and that same year, became “The Fastest Man in Offshore” when he shattered the World Offshore Speed Record. He also won the World Championship in 1989 among other records that he set in 1993 and 1994 before his tragic accident in the 1994 World Championship in Key West Florida.
    Anyway, I was doing some research on line and saw your forum. It looks like you are very knowledgeable in the Sport of Power Boat Racing and I was wondering if you might have a story or two to share with me if you knew him. Tom Gentry is being inducted into the Hawaii Sports Hall of Fame on February 6, 2007 and I will be receiving the award on his behalf. I would love it if you or anyone you know has a word or two to say about his impact on the sport of boat racing.
    Much Aloha for your time, Candes
    Candes Meijide Gentry

www.candescd.com
    www.misshawaii-1999.com
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 01-09-2007 at 10:46 PM.

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember Tom Gentry very well.
    He raced Getingloppet 1976 outside Stockholm Sweden same weekend as the Roslagsloppet.
    The boat was a Cigarette 35, American Eagle /Spirit of America and he won that Race.

Result Offshore I Getingloppet August 1976 Öregrund, Sweden
    1 / Tom Gentry USA Robert Beinch/Richi Powers American Eagle Cigarette/Aeromarin 63,9 knots

I talked to him after the race and he was a very nice man and I made a story in Sweden about me being in Key West
    when his Cat turned upside down outside the Pier house 1994.

A very sad day, Tom Gentry was my Offshore Hero.
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/

Thread Information