Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 1979 Parker 9 Hour Winner??

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Lasse

Yep. Cees's 2.0 power head stayed in the Cardiff scrutineer's car's "boot" overnight while the boat went away for repair.

At Parker 1980, the Mecury T-4 on Seebold's boat (the only 3.9 liter T-4 there, the others were 3.4 liter) did not fail, the tunnel roof near the rear of the boat caved in and separately some trim pump wires burned. The only problem Merc had was with the new gear cases which we had never run more than about 3 hours. Earl Bentz was sharp enough to notice his gear case failing soon enough to get it back to shore with it intact so we found the problem and could fix the weak housing castings. The others ran to complete failure and holes through the housings.

Just some inside informatin to set the record straight.

Fred

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Fred,

You should write a book about Outboard Racing History..

I think this is from Cardiff 1975..
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Lars;

Looks like it. You mentioned how rough it was at Cardiff and I agree. However, that was one of Cees' strengths - he could really handle rough water better than most. Thanks for the picture! Lots of good memories.

Jimbo had used that 2.0 looper power head two weeks before to win both the MOD 120 and MOD U APBA National Championships in Miami. When he got back, we converted the engine to alky and shipped it to Holland. When we started testing with Cees, the filler we used in the carbs to prevent stalling in turns (Devcon) started melting. We were out of business until we used more alky to scrape the stuff out of the carb bodies and Cees's friend at the university made up some aluminum fillers. Then we did very little testing and went to Cadiff. Lots of hard work and luck involved with that win.

Fred

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Fred: I haven't heard or seen you since St. Louis (God knows what year) and we talked about hi-sil pistons. Wasn't long after that I heard you were using them at Merc. Hope all is well
    Rotary John
    aka John Sheldon

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi John:

Nice to hear from you. And yes, Mercury was using hi-sil pistons long before I got there.

You retired?

Fred

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Hauenstein View Post
    Hi John:

Nice to hear from you. And yes, Mercury was using hi-sil pistons long before I got there.

You retired?

Fred
    Yep. I called it quits about 8 yrs. ago. Have done some consulting for a couple of companies on rotary engines and am working part time at a sporting goods store now. Gives me something to do and gets me out of the house for awhile. I first put die cast hi-sil pistons in production in 1978 in chainsaws. Most of the engine people are using it now or the newer hyper eutectic alloy from NASA (OMC). What are you up to? Do you still have doings with Rick? I hear tell he is working with his son on a V-8 outboard.
    John

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default World championships cardiff 1975

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Hauenstein View Post
    Hi Lars;

Looks like it. You mentioned how rough it was at Cardiff and I agree. However, that was one of Cees' strengths - he could really handle rough water better than most. Thanks for the picture! Lots of good memories.

Jimbo had used that 2.0 looper power head two weeks before to win both the MOD 120 and MOD U APBA National Championships in Miami. When he got back, we converted the engine to alky and shipped it to Holland. When we started testing with Cees, the filler we used in the carbs to prevent stalling in turns (Devcon) started melting. We were out of business until we used more alky to scrape the stuff out of the carb bodies and Cees's friend at the university made up some aluminum fillers. Then we did very little testing and went to Cadiff. Lots of hard work and luck involved with that win.

Fred
    HI `Fred a lot of water has passed under the bridge since we last exchanged a few words 1977? I remember Barry Woods in this race he ran the 2nd Marlbro boat one of Cees old sprint Molinaris he had while still with Mercury.Before the race i can remember Ziggy swopping the 6 carb set up with much larger carbs and manifolds on his crosssflow engine`i think he was either 2nd or third before he barrel rolled it `but somebody should have told him before the race those sprint Molinaris had quiet a narrow tunnel?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here we go again------me and my mouth, one day it'll get me into trouble.
    BarryWoods was always his own man and didn't ever need any reminding on how to drive a boat.
    I had one of the shortest Molinari sprints ever built, there was nothing wrong with the tunnel width.
    If your balls were big enough, you would win, or roll it trying.
    As Andretti used to say----if your not driving over the top ------your not driving hard enough.
    In it's day, that little 15' and a smidgin Molinari was the greatest boat ever( but only for 2 years) .

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

More interesting reading from the On World Championship race in Cardiff 1975.
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2.0 Liter Evinrude: Jimbo's "T" National Chairmanship Rig???

I was reading somewhere above, that Jimbo won the Nationals in Miami Marine Stadium with twin 2.0 Liter OMC's. Is this the boat?

Thread Information