Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1979 Parker 9 Hour Winner??

SORRO
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    The 9 Hur was never won with a "GOAT BOAT", but the 1976 Parker 9 Hour was won by Bob Larson and Geoff Briggs. They ran a Scotti with a V-4 mid section and a near stock Evinrude V-6.

There was a year that Jmbo raced Evinrudes (Evinrude cowling) and his co-driver had a Johnson cowling. I'll ask Jimbo.
    I have to ``eat crow`` as the saying goes!! I was wrong!!, Don't tell my wife!that I admitted that. After i got your message i found some of our OLD crew, One Howard Bonnett said that I was right, but, when i found my co driver Ian Purdon he tended to agree with your explanation with the builtup engine.I'm sorry for offering the wrong imformation.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm Like My Mom

Quote Originally Posted by sorro View Post
    I have to ``eat crow`` as the saying goes!! I was wrong!!, Don't tell my wife!that I admitted that. After i got your message i found some of our OLD crew, One Howard Bonnett said that I was right, but, when i found my co driver Ian Purdon he tended to agree with your explanation with the builtup engine.I'm sorry for offering the wrong information.
    My mom always said, "If she ever made a mistake, she'd admit it." My 1979 Enduro experience was not good. First lap my MERCURY broke down, how I wished I had my 1978 WINNING Evinrude...Glad you posted.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Omc 2litre v6 engines.

The 9 Hour was never won with a "GOAT BOAT", but the 1976 Parker 9 Hour was won by Bob Larson and Geoff Briggs. They ran a Scotti with a V-4 mid section and a near stock Evinrude V-6.

There was a year that Jmbo raced Evinrudes (Evinrude cowling) and his co-driver had a Johnson cowling. I'll ask Jimbo.
    The Larson Briggs outfit would have ran the early 2.0litre V6 engines they all had V4 midsections we had 5 of these engines at the OMC Factory at Brugge Belgium in 1976 the first engine i had was that standard it had steel reeds when we swopped to plastic reeds it gained 300rpm.Veldon ran one in 1975 and the first thing he did was to chop 4inches out of the V4 midsection and shorten the driveshaft.When the CCC 2.5 engine came out they put the hammer through and destroyed all these older engines just as they were getting them more reliable?.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Where Is Jim Nerstrom? He Will Know!

I was under the impression that Bob Larson, who I might call tomorrow) might have worked with Tom Ireland to put this rig together. I was under the impression, it was a 149 cubic inch V-6, six carb "FISHING" motor that they bolted up to a V-4 Mid section. The only 2.0 liter OMC's I ever knew about were Fred Hauenstein's design...........maybe need to call Freddy on this. I think all the Belgium 2.0 for for Paris only...Larsen's was just a 149 that "RUMBLED ALONG", 9 hours was a long time to race!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Early 2.0 v6 omc

Name:  scotti 2.0v6 001.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  144.7 KBName:  NO 7 BRISTOL 1976 001.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  143.9 KBName:  NO 4 1977 THAMES RACE 001.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  169.1 KBName:  carr mill dam 1976 001.jpg
Views: 911
Size:  114.9 KB
    I was under the impression that Bob Larson, who I might call tomorrow) might have worked with Tom Ireland to put this rig together. I was under the impression, it was a 149 cubic inch V-6, six carb "FISHING" motor that they bolted up to a V-4 Mid section. The only 2.0 liter OMC's I ever knew about were Fred Hauenstein's design...........maybe need to call Freddy on this. I think all the Belgium 2.0 for for Paris only...Larsen's was just a 149 that "RUMBLED ALONG", 9 hours was a long time to race!
    Well Ron what you say makes sense running a stock 2.5 powerhead for a 9hr race`i was told by Barry Woods in 1976 that we had all the early 2.0V6 engines in Europe we could never understand this` he said he was still running the V4 engines in the US unless it was a major event.You mentioned Freddi Hauenstein who i only met once in 1977` i found Freddi a genuinely nice man he told me he really liked the design of the new Mercury engines and would be going to work for Mercury but he was still racing OMC the next year with you at Parker?.You also mentioned Jim Nerstrom now he is the man to enlighten us all about the small volume race engines OMC built he needs to post this information and give us the lowdown on all the development work he did.I have posted a few pictures of boats running with these early 2.0 litre outboards look how high the engine is on the no 4 boat then see the same boat no7 with a 2.5ccc engine.

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice pictures Steve..do you know the name of the man to the right first picture..??
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bristol uk 1975?

Name:  scotti 2.0v6 001.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  144.7 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars Strom View Post
    Nice pictures Steve..do you know the name of the man to the right first picture..??
    Hi Lasse i am going to take a guess at Eric the 3rd technician to work at OMC Brugge and can you remember the name of Paul Kalbs secretary?

Post Thanks / Like

Nja..not sure Steve.. Do not look like Eric. He was one of the better Brugge technicians. Well..the man is using a Johnson racing jacket. Thats good.

I don't recall Paul Kalbīs secretary. I do remember the OMC PR division in the main building.
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Correction?

Hey Ron,

I'm pretty sure Ken Stevenson won Parker in 1980. I mostly remember it because Mr. Garbrecht made a tactical decision that cost us the race when we had a fairly good lead near the end. Seebold's boat broke, Bentz failed a gear case near the end of the race and had to be changed in the river (no trailer), and Percival? turned over. Bad day for us at Team Mercury. But these T-4s were fast.

Fred

PS: There were some OMC cross-flow 2.0 V-6s in Europe at some point before 1975. Not my project. In 1975 Cees van der Velden won the 2.0 liter (ON class) Worlds in Cardiff with the first OMC 2.0 looper V-6 (my project) on the first of the CCC short midsections (on alky, too) and 1975 Amsterdam had a few of these 2.0 loopers (on gasoline). -FH

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...9+hour+winners

Parker Enduro Hall of Champions

1963 Tom Davis
    1964 Mike Wallace and Bill Cooper... Tiny Tim
    1965 Bob Nordskog.. Viking Spirit
    1966 Mike Wallace and Bill Cooper... Tiny Tim owned by Tim Wallace
    1967 Louis H. Brummett...Rawhide
    1968 Louis H. Brummett...Rawhide
    1969 Howard McCormick... How About That
    1970 Allan Stinson and Jerry Walin...Outboard DeSilva Wing
    1971 Johnny Sanders and Tommy Posey... Abilene Marine owned by Alan Yaw
    1972 Jimbo McConnel and Ted May...Black and White Scotti
    1973 Denis and Duane Berghauer...Mercury/Molinari
    1974 Bill Seebold, Jr. and Cee Van der Velden
    1975 Renato Molinari and Bobby Herring
    1976 Geoff Briggs and Bob Larson...Larson Marine, Stockton Special
    1977 Renato Molinari and Bobby Herring
    1978 Ron Hill and Fred Hauenstein...Brad Miller's Crazyhorse Campgrounds
    1979 Bill Seebold
    1980 Bob Spalding and Kenny Stevenson
    1981 Johnny Sander and Don Johnson...Arcadian Motor Sports owned by Jim Hauenstein
    1982 Jimbo and Ron Acerman
    1983 Art Kennedy
    1984 Jimbo McConnell
    1985 Mitch Lemke...Speed and Marine Jaguar Powered
    1986 Dick Sherrer...Crusader powered by Ed Lane 2.4 Mercury
    1987 Don Johnson and Johnny Sanders...Arcadian Motor Sports
    1988 Don Johnson and Johnny Sanders...Arcadian Motor Sports
    1989 Scott Gillman
    1990 Francois Salabert (France)
    1991-93 No Race
    1994 Greg Foster...Crane Rental Service
    1995 Jason Campbell...Steel Marine of Phoenix, owned by Scott Steel
    1996 Todd Bowden...Concrete Coring Company
    1997 Todd Bowden...Boat 34 Bowden Development
    1998 Todd Bowden
    1999 Todd Bowden
    2000-04 No Race
    2005 Ben Marrone and Paul Grichar...Plan B...Frank Marrone and Sons Pumping
    2006 Chad Hill and Pat Bowman...BMB Storage, Parker and Fred Bowden
    2007 Joe Abellera...Havasu City, Arizona
    2008 John Lane and John Roth
    2009 Gary Hairbedian Schida Twin Turbo[/I]
    2010 Joe Abellera 2.0 Liter Mercury
    2011 Greg Gluck/Mike Nobel Rayson/V-Drive
    2012 Greg Foster and Chip Watkins: John's Custom Marine and Bowden Development (Al Stoker and Fred Bowden).
    2013 Tim McDonald and Mike Quindazzi, Jr. STV 2.0 Liter Mercury

Todd Bowden is the only four time winner...
    Johnny Sander and Jimbo each have three wins..
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 11-25-2013 at 11:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Fred,

I remember the ON World Championship race in Cardiff 1975 very well. Extremely interesting as a OMC racer and dealer.

(I was there racing SE but the "little swimming pool" where the race took place was to rough for my Clerici)
    http://svera.se/blogg/racing-histori...nd-later-1975/

Cees boat broke and was out of the pit overnight for repair.
    The new OMC 2 liter looper power head you built was faaast..and finally the OMC V6 engine with the cut down mid section looked like a race engine.
    Big win for OMC..

Here is info from Parker 1980..I guess Ken Stevenson and Bob Spalding won.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Thread Information