Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: heads up

Post Thanks / Like

Default makes sense

Yes, I see where the 49ci flywheel would fly appart, I believe how the 49flywheel would fly appart. I've saw the 56 flywheel but none of them have ever flew appart, so the flywheel shaved just helps the acceleration. I believe i might try it and see what it does, i've got a spare and a spare hood so i guess we'll see.

Post Thanks / Like

Default methanol

what's anyone think about a dual plug head, runnin 6 coils, and lettin it drink methanol???!!! Just an idea but wonderin what kinda compression I could get outa this settup. Thinkin bout runnin this one with some finger ports, some other port work, the head shaved, runnin big bore pistons, lightened flywheel, and mod 50 front half, on a 15" mid with long aluminum tuner, dry stacked. Think it could be pretty wicked. Nebody tried any of this or got ne thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

Default scratch that

Quote Originally Posted by iwanajohnson
    what's anyone think about a dual plug head, runnin 6 coils, and lettin it drink methanol???!!! Just an idea but wonderin what kinda compression I could get outa this settup. Thinkin bout runnin this one with some finger ports, some other port work, the head shaved, runnin big bore pistons, lightened flywheel, and mod 50 front half, on a 15" mid with long aluminum tuner, dry stacked. Think it could be pretty wicked. Nebody tried any of this or got ne thoughts.
    ok on the prevoius post i'm scratching the lightened flywheel part cuz i don't want a chunk of it coming through the hood and going through my skull, not a pleasant thought!!! Is a dry stacked exhaust the best practical 3 cylinder exhaust out there or is there something better. I've saw some runne and hustler type exhaust that dumps it all out twoards the block and none out in the mid. but didn't know how loud they were or how much more hp they gave ya. anyone got any thoughts, feedback or tried the dual plug methanol tripple idea, it's still a thought i've been tossin around and think it would make a killer drag motor, that's what it would be used for, but i'd like to know what everyone else says or thinks about it. leme know thanks everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

I have not seen the Hustler exhaust run any faster than production exhaust and it is very loud. The Runne exhaust dumps into the mid in the normal way and does not need to be any louder than stock while adding at least 10 mph to FE's.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=iwanajohnson]are you talkin about travis fulton in mid missouri? The motor I'm working on is for a jet drag boat. I'm trying to get about 6k-63k rpm's out of it and not much above that, above about 6200 your impeller starts to spin more water than suck, so above that is just wasted and can even slow you down.
    Your right on at the above 6200 idea. We run the 49.7 cu.in 3 holers and though not the fastest in the country we run very competitivly. We use a 3 pipe megaphone type exaust. we don't do a whole lot of internal mods but have found on the dyno that above 6200 the HP starts dropping off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iwanajohnson
    How about reliaility on a nitrous shootin motor? I would like to have that extra little shot of power but I don't believe it would be too practicle. would be nice put prolly not now. Sandpaper to a head, that takes some big ones. I understand the resource thing but don't think I could do it. so besides the chance of it exploding does shaving the fly wheel improve performance any at all? What kind of fuel pumps do yall run on your hopped up 3 cyl. omc's. I'm thinking of going with a electric holley.
    Ive messed with and abandoned the flywheel cutting thing, on the 2 cyl motors I work with.. nothing gained worth all that work to start with and I was kindly warned too. If 1 exploded it would exit at about 200 feet per second + ... multi directional ... got a helmet? Thanks again Sam & Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Default yea, about that

I'm pretty sure the flywheel thing won't happen, atleast for rite now, i might cut a spare next summer but cash is gettin kinda thin so rite now just gettin the motor put togeather and workin, all that good jazz. Got a good oval port block if anyone would wanna trade it for a 56ci square port block. neone intersted pm me. I'm wanting to try this methanol motor pretty bad though.waste of time and mony possibly, best thing since sliced bread, maby, noone has one rite now though hehe lol just playin round yall thanks for the info.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wilbur and Wayne Weeks drag raced a 3 cylinder on methanol back in the lated 70's early 80's.

Post Thanks / Like

Default and then

and how did that work?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

They were sucessful at drag racing. I have used methanol on the omc crossflows and intend to use it on my looper. I have never fooled around much with 3 cylinders.

Thread Information