Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: PROP slippage

22-R 23-R R-29 R-30
    Post Thanks / Like

Default PROP slippage

RON, using the same gear case and different props, but all of the same pitch will the props have different slippage ? Thank for your time...steve

Post Thanks / Like

Default Don't Know....

As Jimbo and I were drinking a beer today, with Jimbo's "SECRET" Hot Pepper juice...we were discussing propellers and all..We decided we both knew a lot about props.........and that was this bit on knowledge...."If it is a good prop, don't tell anyone how fast it goes or tell them where you got it."

As far as slippage....if anyone really knew the answers, there would probably be one prop to fit all...

You ever look at the PROPS THAT ARE RUN ON "A" STOCK HYDROS??? Some look like they were made in a Metal Shop in High School as a porject to get a "C"....Quincy claimed to be a WELDER...I claim to be a BLACK SMITH.....

JImbo told this story today and I hope I can retell it without offending anyone...

In the old days, Ernie Dawe's family owned a gas station in Needles and they frequently went testing on the river.. Ruben Dawe, Ernie's dad, always went too...Ruben loved boat racing like he loved Jim Beam....Ruben would pound on Ernie's props...sometimes he actually helped them..Jeff Fritz won the 1961 B Stock Hydro nationals with a prop Ruben had pounded on...It was a PH1 Michigan, that my brother had bought from Merlyn Culver..for his D Stock Hydro, but my brother could never pull it, so, he sold it to Ruben....

Back to Jimbo's story: He said, "Ruben had his hammer in one hand and the prop in the other...He'd get ready to hit the prop then stop..... Then, He'd get ready to hit the prop again and stop...After the third start and stop, Jimbo said, "Ruben, why don't you hit the damn thing?" Ruben said, "Well, I can't decide which blade to hit as I keep seeing four of them.".....We all miss Ruben...his stories and his love...

I went to College in Flagstaff, Arizona, Ernie Dawe was my roommate...All the guys got letters and stuff from their moms....Ernie's dad was the only dad to ever write his son...

Ernie and Ruben showed up at Blythe, about daylight one year...they'd had three or four flats on the way....Everyone was trying to sleep in the pits....Ruben got out of the car....and ANNOUNCED TO THE WORLD, "WELL WE'RE HERE." 45 years later, whenever I get somewhere...I get out and announce to no one in particular....maybe just to Ruben...Well, we're here!!!

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default NOT a "blacksmith"

I decided you are a "Silversmith", after gazing on that beautiful 4 blade you made for me ,it's such a piece of art , I think it just might end up mounted on my wall , where i was gonna hang a rembrant .

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by QUINAULTRACING
    RON, using the same gear case and different props, but all of the same pitch will the props have different slippage ? Thank for your time...steve
    Ive been giving the slip / resistance thing alot of thought [not that that means anything]. Id say yes you will have difference. In my case the RPMs will vary up to 1200Rs from a 11.5 pitch [Rons] cleaver to a 13 pitch Hopkins 2 blade however the speed will be within 2mph. As far as same pitch, Ive got 2 cleavers, an 11 x 7 1/8, lots of bow lift, good acceleration and a tendency to porpoise and twist, an 11 1/2 x 6 3/4 that rides true fast and smooth.
    Id say that slippage is the result of resistance, not 2 different things. Thinning blades, carefully matching them and balancing does get results. Theres no substitute for water testing and best = fast and handles well.

Thread Information