Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SST 70, Change to Formula 75

Post Thanks / Like

Default SST 70, Change to Formula 75

From what I've seen and heard, SST 70 is a DEAD in the water class...

Why not change the Name and rules...???

Make it half of a Formula 150. Formula 150 is a REAL CLASS with real rules....

Vic Brinkman just bought an SST 70 off E-Bay complete boat, motor and trailer.....I was talking to him about keeping this Hemp boat and running a steel sleeved 2.5.......Might be a fun ride....and cheap, because an SST 70 requires a Stock SST 140 block, and where do you find one of those???

Post Thanks / Like

Ron:

If it is dead, why mess w/ it? We already have too many classes as it is.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Default Never Have Too Many Classes... Too Many Heats....

Combine the classes, run more laps and less heats..

Did SST 70 run at Kankakee this year????
    Vic Brinkman bought an SST 70 on E-Bay and didn'y want to buy an SST 140 block to race...

Post Thanks / Like

The last time SST-70 was run at Kankakee was 2002 or 2003.

Why doesn't Vic put an SST-60 on the boat and run SST-60 with it? Pretty much the same boat. Most people I saw run SST-70 had a modified SST-60 powerhead and Pittman and Kratchowill still beat them with their stock SST-60 stuff.

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Never too many classes

Quote Originally Posted by RonHill
    Combine the classes, run more laps and less heats..

Did SST 70 run at Kankakee this year????
    Vic Brinkman bought an SST 70 on E-Bay and didn'y want to buy an SST 140 block to race...
    I agree. I bet there might be many like me who don't care about (expensive national) points , but would just like to go out and mix it up (safely&friendly)& GO FAST . And a ribbon is just as good as a trophy, &a whole lot cheaper. In fact I have a suggestion : Let entry fees be cheaper, only a ribbon given out, but those who NEED a trophy , can purchase it at extra cost . (and, i don't care about the venom that might arise from my idea) it doesn't matter. P S ; it's easier to dust off a ribbon

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Vic

Vic bought the rig with intent to re-sell some things. I believe he has the same gearbox as the SST 120 guys had on this, and the same mid.

I don't think Vic is interested in racing the boat.

Does anyone know if the normal mid and gearbox used on a SST60 is the same as the SST120 ?

Post Thanks / Like

The midsections and gear cases aren't even remotely close.

SST120 uses a mercury racing midsection and a speedmaster gear case. SST60 uses a stock OMC midsection and a stock OMC gear case, modified from the factory with a nose cone.

Mark

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well whoever bought that boat is going to be in for a couple surprises. Midsections been modified, not legal for sst 120. Good for a lake racer.
    Check the gear ratio in that gearcase. Chances are that is not a 14:15 gearbox on the back of that boat. If the gear ratio is not the 14:15 they will not be the forged gears that the 120 guys run, and will make it out 1 or 2 times with 6 cylinders of firing on the back. Gearcase value will be of the housing only, saying its in good condition.
    SST 70 mercury boats were highly modified mercury engines. They were not just half of a 140 motor. Chances are they're has been alot of epoxy work on the intake manifold, pvc sleeves put on the other bank.
    Not to rip on the equipment the guy just purchased, but what he has is a good sst 60 starter boat for sale, and some parts for a lake racer to go use, and possibly a studs up housing that has had the skeg welded on from hitting debris in Sioux City Ia. Still got a good buy, and he'll get his money out, and maybe a few bucks, but I hope he knew all this going in.
    Brian

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I kind of got side tracked on that post, SST 70 was a very neat class. With the different rule combinations, it was a engine builders and tinkerers class. We really enjoyed the class, if there would be sst 70 running with a healthy boat count in this area, I'm pretty sure my brother Steve would have a boat and would be running it.
    And I also have SST 140 stock equipment. ( Ron Asked above)

Senior
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Formula-150 is just a start

Ron,

You are right about F-150 being a real class. This has been a poor year due to fuel and travel costs being hard on racers financially. Even so F-150 has continued to grow it's membership while other classes have lost membership.
    For those that think there are too many classes, they are dead wrong. When APBA-OPC did a wholesale slaughter on classes the OPC membership fell from 1200+ to 700+ and has continued to drop membership as classes are dropped. I personally have had seven classes kicked out from under me as they were dropped when they still had good numbers. Now the OPC Chair is suggesting that we get rid of old boats and buy new ones. How many will that chase out of racing? My boat will start it's twenty second year at Parker this Thanksgiving and will start my fourty eighth season of racing. With a short season due to finances my boat and I ran third in points in F-150and in the top half of SST-120 with a 1990 SST-120 engine.
    Now Ron, remember the conversation we had this spring?
    I plan on proposing not one, but two new classes at the National meeting. They are Formula-125 and Formula-100 for local racing to grow. I will get the rules to you next month. I will also propose that series races have their own points separated from non series race points!
    F-150 rules were arbitrarily changed and I will try to get them corrected.

Larry Swinford

Quote Originally Posted by RonHill
    From what I've seen and heard, SST 70 is a DEAD in the water class...

Why not change the Name and rules...???

Make it half of a Formula 150. Formula 150 is a REAL CLASS with real rules....

Vic Brinkman just bought an SST 70 off E-Bay complete boat, motor and trailer.....I was talking to him about keeping this Hemp boat and running a steel sleeved 2.5.......Might be a fun ride....and cheap, because an SST 70 requires a Stock SST 140 block, and where do you find one of those???

Thread Information