Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: SST 70, Change to Formula 75

  1. #11
    Administrator Ron Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tustin, California
    Posts
    8,343
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Good To Hear From You.

    Seems to me, that you and I have always seen "eye to eye" on classes...What does it hurt to have 5,000 classes???Just run them in groups, even set up handicaps, like Parker had...

    Throw these two class rules at us...

    AND what was changed in Formula 150 that you want changed back...?
    WHAT I'D RATHER SEE, THAN "PARK" OLD BOATS, IS THAT CAPSULES GET side pods, AND CAPSULES GET SOME CARBON ADDED TO THE INSIDES.

    I WAS LOOKING FOR SOME 15 "A" JOHNSON THROTTLE PARTS TODAY, WHEN I FOUND SOME PICTURES I'D LOST...I found Buddy Babbit's side pod design for tunnel boats...I'll post the pictures tomorrow, but think there time has come...

    Before I see your rules..do either of your classes allow stock gearcases with bottom water pick ups?? And right hand rotation....

    See you at Parker, Thanksgiving.......

  2. #12
    Team Member Joe J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Vacaville, CA
    Posts
    173
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    With the limited driver pool we have, it seems to me it would be better to focus on existing classes, and try to build the numbers up in them.

    I too remember having 10-12 DIFFERENT boats, in 5-6 OPC classes. I do not see this happening again, which is too bad.

    Joe Johnson

  3. #13
    Administrator Ron Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tustin, California
    Posts
    8,343
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Carl Bought A Barn

    Carl bought a barn to build clutches in....or something like that...In this barn were a bunch of outboard motor parts from a company that went broke...

    Carl put the motors together, got them running right and sold them...You can almost plot OUTBOARD RACING's Group from when Carl started producing outboard motors until the date his board of directors kicked him out....

    Western Engine distribued Tohatsu engines and Volvo Sterndrives.......Mini Boat Racing was going and growing until Western Engine lost their distributorship of Volvo engines...They took their $28,000,000 and moved back to Wisconsi...

    The country is full of racers.....BMX, MOTO CROSS, Junior Dragsters, Go Karts....

    No one, I should say, almost no one looks at these other RACING ASSOCIATIONS to see why they are totally kicking *** with races, equipment and growth....

    I talk to Rich Job ALL THE TIME...Rich raced 20, "C", OSY 400, his son raced J and A....Rich would still like to race boats...but he and his son race Go Karts, probably spending more on KARTS than they did on boats......but they race all the time and have two carts..

    But there are short races, long races novice races, fat man's races, junior races....sometime all on the same weekend....He tires me out telling me how much they race.. To run five classes in outboard racing he needed three boat, maybe four motors or different sizes....

    Anyway, there are people that want to race boats...we just haven't reached them....
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 11-12-2006 at 09:43 AM.

  4. #14
    Senior
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default New Classes

    (Quote=Larry Swinford)

    5000 classes is a little overkill.
    Mike took it on himself to restrict carb. venturies.
    Somehow someone allowed the new 2.5 injected engine to be oked to run in Formula-150. It is also allowed in SST-120. It kicks a-- in both classes and defeats the purpose and intent and rules of both classes.

    Any center section and gearcase will be legal just as it is in F-150.
    The whole purpose is to have inexpensive classes for local racing as there are a lot of used boats and older engines available at low prices.
    I build all of my engines out of throwaway parts from Marinas.
    Existing capsules can be beefed up and strengthened.
    Yes to the right hand gearcases.

    Larry



    Quote Originally Posted by RonHill
    Seems to me, that you and I have always seen "eye to eye" on classes...What does it hurt to have 5,000 classes???Just run them in groups, even set up handicaps, like Parker had...

    Throw these two class rules at us...

    AND what was changed in Formula 150 that you want changed back...?
    WHAT I'D RATHER SEE, THAN "PARK" OLD BOATS, IS THAT CAPSULES GET side pods, AND CAPSULES GET SOME CARBON ADDED TO THE INSIDES.

    I WAS LOOKING FOR SOME 15 "A" JOHNSON THROTTLE PARTS TODAY, WHEN I FOUND SOME PICTURES I'D LOST...I found Buddy Babbit's side pod design for tunnel boats...I'll post the pictures tomorrow, but think there time has come...

    Before I see your rules..do either of your classes allow stock gearcases with bottom water pick ups?? And right hand rotation....

    See you at Parker, Thanksgiving.......

  5. #15
    Administrator Ron Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tustin, California
    Posts
    8,343
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Laser Injection???

    Is that EFI you are talking about like the Laser? I have two 2.5's, one is on my daughter's boat the other is all over the shop, block's at John Lane Racing....These were both 1995 motors....Are you saying these will out run good carbs???

    Well, with 5,000 classes you'd sure have a lot of boats at the races...

    Combine classes and give points to one boat if that is all that shows up...

    I went to The Run to the Sun Car Show with BIG FRED.....as in Fred Bowden....There were a thousand cars being shown......There were so many classes to win in Fred tried to explain, then just said drink your beer , I always win MY CLASS!!!! In fact he said, I ain't never been beat... At that point, I was afraid to ask how many were in his class....

    There were 1,000 cars, and all they did is sit around and polish them....but there were about 30,000 there watching people polish there cars...Seems to me agood boat show could draw a crowd, then we could put on a race or two while everyone was there!!!!

  6. #16
    Senior
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Not a Laser

    It's the new cylinder injected engine that is clean and you can't change any thing on it. Mercury sent one out to Rick to test. I think there are only about five of them being tested. Last year I could beat it but with new props and maybe a chip change (?) it has come alive. I don't know if it is on the market yet.

    larry



    Quote Originally Posted by RonHill
    Is that EFI you are talking about like the Laser? I have two 2.5's, one is on my daughter's boat the other is all over the shop, block's at John Lane Racing....These were both 1995 motors....Are you saying these will out run good carbs???

    Well, with 5,000 classes you'd sure have a lot of boats at the races...

    Combine classes and give points to one boat if that is all that shows up...

    I went to The Run to the Sun Car Show with BIG FRED.....as in Fred Bowden....There were a thousand cars being shown......There were so many classes to win in Fred tried to explain, then just said drink your beer , I always win MY CLASS!!!! In fact he said, I ain't never been beat... At that point, I was afraid to ask how many were in his class....

    There were 1,000 cars, and all they did is sit around and polish them....but there were about 30,000 there watching people polish there cars...Seems to me agood boat show could draw a crowd, then we could put on a race or two while everyone was there!!!!

  7. #17
    Senior
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Optimax

    I had brain fade the other day.
    It's the Optimax. It has been shown at a Florida boat show, but I don't think it is in production yet.
    larry



    Quote Originally Posted by larry swinford
    It's the new cylinder injected engine that is clean and you can't change any thing on it. Mercury sent one out to Rick to test. I think there are only about five of them being tested. Last year I could beat it but with new props and maybe a chip change (?) it has come alive. I don't know if it is on the market yet.

    larry

  8. #18
    Team Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Wildwood Missouri
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Opitimax results

    Larry...We ran the new Optimax all this year in SST120 running in Champboat and also in APR Superleague. Driver/Owner Kelly Kidwell out of ST.Louis...

    The motor shows promise and has good punch and top speed, the problem being is it wont come off the dock. Because of the design that Merc has in it, the motor has to turn so many revs before it can fire. By the time it fires, you usually are 4 or 5 boat lengths behind. It runs great once ya get her going. I pit for Kelly and its frustrating to always have to be chasing down the other boats. We usually catch and pass about half the field but its a lot of work. No problem with reliability, and not having to mess with timing and jetting is great. Its got potential for sure.

    Just thought I'd throw this in for grins. By the way it takes a BIG Wheel!!!

    Be interesting to see what works in 07.... Pitboss 77

  9. #19
    Senior
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Kidwell

    Help me!

    Is Kelly a son of or related to Kerry Kidwell.
    If so I need a phone number for both of them.

    larry c.



    Quote Originally Posted by Pitboss
    Larry...We ran the new Optimax all this year in SST120 running in Champboat and also in APR Superleague. Driver/Owner Kelly Kidwell out of ST.Louis...

    The motor shows promise and has good punch and top speed, the problem being is it wont come off the dock. Because of the design that Merc has in it, the motor has to turn so many revs before it can fire. By the time it fires, you usually are 4 or 5 boat lengths behind. It runs great once ya get her going. I pit for Kelly and its frustrating to always have to be chasing down the other boats. We usually catch and pass about half the field but its a lot of work. No problem with reliability, and not having to mess with timing and jetting is great. Its got potential for sure.

    Just thought I'd throw this in for grins. By the way it takes a BIG Wheel!!!

    Be interesting to see what works in 07.... Pitboss 77

  10. #20
    Senior
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Optimax

    Quote Originally Posted by larry swinford
    Help me!

    Is Kelly a son of or related to Kerry Kidwell.
    If so I need a phone number for both of them.

    larry c.
    Are you starting with 12 or 24 volts?
    Are you using full size batteries that have 1000 cold cranking amps.
    Those big props need lots of oomph on a dock start.

    larry

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •