Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Larry Latta

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Larry Latta

Larry Latta.... Schaumberg, Illinois. I will always remember that from the many roll calls at the driver's meetings. His number was V-29. At least that's the only one I knew him to have. He started racing way before my time and until long after. Joe tells me today he was originally from Iowa and was living in Keokuk at the time of his death. I started this thread because I was afraid everyone would post their immediate thoughts on David Weaver's notice of his passing. Thanks David for letting us know. But Larry needs a place in the encylopedia so everyone will know where to go to find out about his history.

Paul, I hope you have many more stories to tell. I like the ones about hanging around the shop and working on ideas.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Larry

I will never know how Larry and Francis ran all of the classes Larry drove.I will allways remember Larrys taste in cars.Boy did he have some good ones.I also will remember the talks Larry and Tim Butts use to have. You could feel the all the gears turning .Boat racing was a great love to Larry and he was a great role model. Ialso use to hear the stories larry and Tim told about some of Joe Michilleni and some of his projects.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope I can find a photo of Larry's trailer. Man, talked about filled with boats. If I can't find one, somebody out there must have one.

I talked to Tim Butt's yesterday about Larry. He was a long time member of the famous Outboard Club of Chicago and a good friend of Joe Michelini. Tim said Larry probably knew more than anyone whatever happened to Joe's stuff. He had a warehouse full of boats and motors going back to the 50's...some never ran.

Larry also served on the APBA Pro Racing Commission beginning under Chairman Mel Kirts in 1978. Don't know if he had served previously or how long after I quit in 1981.

Larry is in the foreground running beside Bob Rake's CSR, but that sure doesn't look like Bob in the cockpit. The photo was from DePue 1974.

Post Thanks / Like

That's not Bob, just remember the size of the man! Besides, Bob was usually seen with his butt sitting right on the carb, not sitting up and over the wheel with water like that.

Looks like a rookie with a stripe on his helmet.........I wish someone loaned me a rig like Bob's my rookie year!

Nice pic of Larry! Thanks Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

Along with C Service, I think Larry really enjoyed MOH/125ccH. Here's Larry on the outside of Gary Pugh(driving Nydahls W-17) at Alex in 1981. Pete, were you of parental probation?

Larry had a boat by Bunky Bowerman, both are powered Christner Z-125's. Ray Nydahl use to call them drill press engines

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't realize that I hadn't posted more of Larry on this thread. Well, I found this one from Alex 1978. I have some of Frances to put here as well. One of the pics I found I will send to Paul Christner because that's where it belongs. So you can find it at the Quincy site.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice pic of the Z Wayne...........there seems to be a whole new interest in Quincy engines now, especially the eleusive Z engine.

I know someone who will be very interested in seeing the way the ignition is set up this engine........right Frank?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Frances Latta

It was good to see Frances Latta at the DePue Reunion. Larry had passed not that long before so she could have just stayed away. But that wasn't Frances. She really enjoyed seeing the racers and families she and Larry spent decades tramping around the pits with.

I know all the wives of the Lone Star racers from those days, and I knew many from the drivers from other states. I very seldom took pictures of racer's wives except if they raced, scored, registered or otherwise were part of the event. The same goes with Frances. You can see on this pic, as crank rope hanging from her jeans. Frances is one of the few pics I have of racers wives. It's apparent from this pic that Larry did good. And I am thinking that she fired him off.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default your right jeff

jeff,

i am interested how's ya guess. what in need is the dimention from the center of the crank to the center of the distributor pulley. i have the distributor frm a z with the mounting bracket and want to rig it so i can use it on a looper. any help out there?

hoope to hear from you today jeff!!!!!!

frank

Thread Information