Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quincy Welding Speed Secrets Revealed

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Quincy Welding Speed Secrets Revealed

How many of you know that the very first Quincy stacks were made from my mom's brand new vacuum cleaner attachments?

Mom still tells me the story of how in the 1950's she finally saved up enough money to buy a brand new Kirby vacuum cleaner with all sorts of attachments, and dad came home at lunch with pipes on his mind. He saw mom's brand new chrome vacuum extension "pipes" and persuaded her to hand over the attachments so he could try them on his motor as tune pipes.

Well, she never got them back. Somebody out there may have the original Quincy Racing - Kirby pipes. I came across this picture of a Hurricane motor owned by Bob Dunlap, and this could very possibly be those 1st original Quincy pipes. That motor has got to be worth a fortune now if it is indeed the original one.

Now tell the truth, how many of you out there stole your mom's vacuum attachments to experiment with on your motors?

thanks,
    Paul A. Christner

Please note: the pictures are for your enjoyment but are not to be copied to other web sites without written permission.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default More Quincy Welding Speed Secrets Revealed

Sometimes some of the best racing innovations come about by accident. 2 major Quincy Welding racing advances started out as flukes.

The 1st was water injection. We had an extremely porous aluminum cylinder casting on a Looper that significantly leaked water in the exhaust port area. It had phenomenal torque down low but couldn't seem to rev up. After discovering the leak by pressure testing the block, we knew we were on to something and started the process of developing water injection on the Loopers in the mid 1960s. Jerry Waldman won many championships using Quincy Welding's water injection systems.

The 2nd fluke was loose sleeve liners. We had 3 A engines that were dimensionally exactly alike. However, 1 consistently pulled significantly more horsepower on the dyno. That drove my father crazy for 2 or 3 years. We finally found out one day, when dad pressed the sleeves out, that the sleeves were barely making contact around the exhaust area or a major part of the cylinder. We then intentionally designed an experimental A with loose sleeves & it pulled more power. Quincy Welding then tried tighter sleeves on that engine and it then slowed down. This was quite a discovery. We're talking 3 to 5% difference in horsepower.

I might add, yes you can have sleeves that are too loose. Ideally, for our use, we ended up using a sleeve with 1/2 thousands interference and a large shoulder to secure it's stability. This area, I feel, has much yet to be discovered.

More coming, stay tuned.

Paul A. Christner
    Quincy Welding & Quincy Racing

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The water injection intrigued Dieter very much Paul. Walt Blankenstein had watched Jerry and them some others doing well with the water injection. In 1976 Walt took a water injection system to Berlin and installed it on an A Konig with the injection tip at the convergence of the manifold.

Dieter fired up the Konig on the dyno and got maximum torque and Walt hit the button. You should have seen Dieter's eyes when he shut the engine off. When the water was first injected the revs came up faster than Dieter could control the water brake on his dyno. I don't remember everything we tried that day, but we figured out if you kept injecting water too long after the intial burst, the engine power rapidly fell off. I don't know if it reacted the same way with the loopers and megaphone exhausts, but Dieter was definitely turning some wheels in his head.

I imagine he did further testing, but I never heard anything more. If you could find that book of his and read German, I am sure there were some very interesting remarks.

Post Thanks / Like

Water used to pull more torque on megaphone exhausts similarly to what you are explaining here. Why? With a mixed fuel crossflow motor at lower speeds dad always said if it was held into the chambers longer it would fire harder, i.e. bigger explosions. If you hold the water button down too long, you're creating more back pressure and the engine has too much burned/dirty air in for the next charge.

The loose cylinder liner is pretty fascinating. Perhaps the way they expand as the motor heats up???? I dunno....

Post Thanks / Like

If you are injecting enough water to create higher back pressure you are probably injecting too much.

Water changes the temperature of the exhaust gases in the chamber or megaphone ... slowing down the sound wave ... same effect as sliding the pipe longer
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team MSR
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Loose Sleeves

When I ran the Yamato piston port 250 motors, I changed out a lot of sleeves. Not fun. Freeze sleeve, heat block in wife's oven, stink up house..., get burnt trying to get ports lined up. Ports dont line up just right, start over.

Used the same .003-.004 interferance fit on my Kawasaki based 250 motors. I built my own sleeves from blanks. It was a huge pain to match the ports to the ducts in the cylinder castings. Used to spend days (not hours) with the die grinders.

After some suggestions from Harry and Mitch Meyer, I started slip fitting the sleeves and having Harry molly coat the O.D. of the sleeve to get the correct interferance fit. It was much easier to do the porting when you could slip the sleeve in and out to grind on it or the cylinder casting. Was much better, but still a pain to get everything lined up when hot....

One spring I was in a time crunch, like most boat racers and decided to try something new. I glued the sleeves in with Loctite Quick Metal. I had been useing it for several years on bearings. Thought it would work, so gave it a try. That set of cylinders ran VERY well. Won Depue Nationals with them in '96.

My thinking is that they do not have a bunch of stress pushing on them, so they stay straighter. ???? Kind of neat, both finding this speed secret on "A" motors, 30 somthing years apart.

Michael D- 1

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Run them hot

[QUOTE=Mike Schmidt;27047]

One spring I was in a time crunch, like most boat racers and decided to try something new. I glued the sleeves in with Loctite Quick Metal. I had been useing it for several years on bearings. Thought it would work, so gave it a try. That set of cylinders ran VERY well. Won Depue Nationals with them in '96.

My guess is that the glue provided some insulation thereby causing the engine to run hotter. Hotter = more HP until it reaches oops temperature. Have accomplished the same thing by squeezing down the water discharge.
    Neil Bass

Post Thanks / Like

This thread was going pretty off topic from Paul's original theme, but was pretty interesting so I moved the other posts to this new thread:

Water injection questions from ...
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Neil_M50D2;27349]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schmidt View Post

My guess is that the glue provided some insulation thereby causing the engine to run hotter. Hotter = more HP until it reaches oops temperature. Have accomplished the same thing by squeezing down the water discharge.
    Neil Bass

I would guess the sleeves had room to expand and the piston and ring fit became looser than the original set-up that was done at room temperature. As a consequence of the looser fit the rpms went up and more horses were set free.

That's just a educated guess.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default better than a W.A. G.

Frank, where you from.
    RichardKCMo

Thread Information