Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quincy Welding Speed Secrets Revealed

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RichardKCMo View Post
    Frank, where you from.
    RichardKCMo
    Originally Detroit. My dad and I ran D stock and a D looper in Michigan in the 60s. I'm now in Dallas, TX.

There was a guy that lived in St Clair Shores, MI (i think that's it) that owned a machine shop and cast and machined Quincy knock offs. I can't recall his name and probably wouldn't even recognize it if I heard it. Maybe some of you know who I'm talking about.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default More Quincy Speed Secrets Revealed

Rotary Valve, Piston Port & Reed Valve Theory

When my father and I re-instituted the Quincy R&D program in 1975 to create the "Z" engine, we experimented significantly with rotary valve, piston port and reed valve intake designs. Believe it or not, the piston port design had a slight advantage but not at the top RPM as you would expect.

There's an experimental Quincy M out there somewhere that has to be worth a fortune as it had rotary valve, piston port and external reed valves ALL functioning for the purpose of establishing what we felt was, at that time, the ultimate intake system or combination. I remember running it on the dyno with my father, Chris, and juggling between the combination of partial reeds and rotary or partial reeds and piston port or all 3 at once. Each system had it's own carburetor and I remember the best combination was wide open carb with multiple external reeds in conjunction with 1/3 open carb with piston port.

( Note: We machined a considerable amount of deflector race engines with the internal 3rd port - piston port set up. We left most of that development set on the workbench at that time in 1975 while we were desperately trying to re-institute the pro outboard Quincy development program. )

I believe, personally, that the internal piston port in conjunction with the Mercury internal reed valve hasn't even begun to be fully developed or progressed for the Mod Mercury engines.

Since we went out of the racing business in the early 80's, I have come up with so many new ideas to try - you can't imagine. The old saying "you can't see the forest for the trees" is very applicable to racing development -- when you're away from it, the ideas start flowing. When you're actually intensely doing development, progressive ideas become as scarce as winning lottery numbers.

Case in point: when we invented the converging pipe exhaust in the early 1960s, it had almost the same top end but considerably better acceleration. Therefore it was faster around the race course and other engine makers followed our lead. Looking back, the propellers were obviously antiquated in design by today's standard. There's no doubt, with today's propeller technology advancements, individual pipes on mods and deflectors would produce more horsepower and run faster around the race course.

The things that my father taught me never to forget in engine development are the 3 p's: pistons, ports, pipes. The integration of the 3, and the various combinations, has almost infinite possibilities for performance gains.

My advise? Keep thinking outside of the box.

Paul A Christner

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Paul--here are those pics I PM'd you about. They were Alex 1977.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Allen J. Lang

Quote Originally Posted by franka View Post
    Originally Detroit. My dad and I ran D stock and a D looper in Michigan in the 60s. I'm now in Dallas, TX.

There was a guy that lived in St Clair Shores, MI (i think that's it) that owned a machine shop and cast and machined Quincy knock offs. I can't recall his name and probably wouldn't even recognize it if I heard it. Maybe some of you know who I'm talking about.
    Franka- Are you thinking of the lte Bud Parker of Birmingham, MI? Bud built a small amount of Loopers in A,B and D. They were set up for acceleration rather than hi end. The only known ones I have seen are owned by Tim Kurcz of Milford, MI who bought Bud's machine equipment. I last saw Bud at the July2006 AOMC meet at Constantine meet and he passed away a few months later. He was a great guy helping the mod guys set up. He was always a joy to talk to.

Ye Olde Desert Geezer Al Lang

Post Thanks / Like

Mike Schmidt, some years ago there was (and might still be) a small aerospace subcontractor in Southern Cal that did a little sideline work for owners of old Brit-bikes. These products of pre-Thatcher English labour had so much porosity in the crankcase castings that they leaked oil right through the crankcase walls! The SoCal outfit took new or vapor-degreased castings and immersed them in a vat of Loctite and drew a vacuum on them, to fill the porosity. More to the point here, they did a similar thing to fill any gap between cylinder sleeves and blocks. BUT, they thought this might IMPROVE heat transfer . . .

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

In reading Paul's post, he made a comment:

I believe, personally, that the internal piston port in conjunction with the Mercury internal reed valve hasn't even begun to be fully developed or progressed for the Mod Mercury engines."

This is so true! While job shopping, I had the chance to talk with a bunch of guy's that are into performance and as I was talking to them, I keep my mind open cause some times comments get made that really hits home when you stop and think about it. Man, did it ever!! I don't have much in the way of a large collection of Quincy stuff, but what I do have does cover a very long period of history. I was looking at the stacks and a question came up to me:

Our props have come such a long way, so have the progression of hydro technology, the question is; Is it time to look at older technology, and would the ideas thought of back then be made faster yet again? I firmly believe the answer is YES!!

If the new job will allow it and the owners of "Lake X West" will allow it, I'm gonna spend an aweful lotta time down there testing! Stay tuned for further developements..film at 11!

Thanks All.

Don

Thread Information