Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Quincy Looper Pictures and Collections

Post Thanks / Like

What is this motor?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

It is not a Quincy Looper, therefore off topic in this thread and forum. That's why the post was moved to a more relevant place.

It is indeed a Yamato alky motor, a 350 or 500
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

that picture was posted BY Original Looper 1 in THIS thread, so I assumed I should ask about it in this thread.

I didn't realize the first one was moved, I had so many tabs open I thought I posted it in the wrong thread.

Silas.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Message to Calendar Girl 9B

To Calendar Girl 9B,

I am Original Looper 1, and this section is titled Quincy Welding Loopers & More. You are correct, there are many types of engines posted in this section, especially under the Collections thread, where you saw the Yamato 4 cylinder picture.

I personally don't have a problem with you posting pictures of your personal collections or motors other than Loopers here - that's what the thread is about, collections & diversity. Hey, we gearheads love them all.

My father, O. F. Christner, owner of Quincy Welding and creator of the Quincy Merc, Loopers, Z engines & Christner 2-4 cycle engine, loved ALL racing outboards. So do I!

Hope to see you post here again.

thanks,

Paul A Christner

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Photos - Mirror Lake Auto & Boat Show

The same weekend as the Lake Shipp, FL antique outboard meet, there was a big antique auto & boat show at Lake Mirror in Lakeland, FL. Lakeland is just a few minutes drive from Winterhaven & Lake Shipp.

Those of you that knew my father, also knew he was as big a fan of cars as he was of boats & boat racing. I know my dad would have enjoyed the show at Lake Mirror, so in his honor I am posting a few pictures of some of the boats & cars from that show. By the way, the 1st picture is of a car that can also run in the water like a boat!

Thanks,

Paul A Christner

PS: Stay tuned!

Post Thanks / Like

Paul, we had a customer at the boathouse who had an Amphicar that same year and color. We took it down the Fox only to get stuck on a sandbar, so, he kicked into drive gear and drove off the thing!

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a picture of Mama Smith driving one of those into the water on the cover of one issue of Roostertail. What caught my eye Paul, and Skoontz will recognize, are the second and last pictures. In the foreground is a lapstrake Thompson. I don't know what wood the hull or ribs were made of, but the wood topside is mahogany. You can see the ribs in one of the pictures. The lapstrake sides were bolted with brass bolts through the ribs. In critical areas, the bolts were closer together, then all the bolts and nuts were coated with some sort of sealer after everything was made up tight. I couldn't afford one made with that kind of quality today.l

Great pictures Paul. And thanks for showing us some beautiful works of the past.

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne:

Thompson's were made in Peshtago, Wi, about 2 hours from our shop. About a block away, was a huge lumberyard with rail access. Next to that, was a siding company, which at the time, cut cedar shakes and lap strakes for houses, and also had a contract for Thompson using Mahogany siding for boats. They were very strong, and light as you well know. One of my early Boathouse memories was when Phill Elburg, Dad, and myself went to pick up 4 boats. Dad had the 1960 Olds wagon with a 394 V-8, thermal quad carb and 4 speed tranny....I get out and there is this 3 year old Newfoundland dog that let me ride him....So he takes me over by the barrels or brass bolts, and boat nails....I grab a couple handfulls and drop them on the floor....When's the last time anyone saw a barrel of any kind of bolt, let along brass?

I remember one of those boats was yellow under wood, one white, one red and another blue. Anything other than white was rare, yellow second most popular, then red and blue.....

Was it Thompson that was owned by Cruisers, Inc, or Cruisers owned by Thompson? I know both companies ran until the great late 80's boat building disaster after Regan signed that luxury tax bill....Still standing is Cruisers, Inc....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quincy Power head

My brother Alan bought atruck load of stuff from the Ted Lewis estate an in the pile were 2 Quincy powerheads. In a tool box was the receipt for one of them. Is there any history available on the powerheads.

Thanks
    David Van Weele
    www.aeroliner-boats.com
    Old Race Boats Still Flip You Out

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default ted lewis estate

dave,

i got a few looper pieces form his estate. i also bought his marchetti that i'll be restoring for the quincy c loopers i'm working on now. it looked like he had a ton of stuff. working on getting the marchetti to maryland. i had the marchetti logo digitized and had some t shirts made to match the color of the looper.

frank

Thread Information