Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for someone to modify my 6hp powerhead

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for someone to modify my 6hp powerhead

Hi Folks,

I am down here in Bermuda and here we race British Seagull engines! Weird I know but its quite competitive.

I have a stock 6 hp Seagull (really now a Selva 6hp Sort made by the Italians) and I wish to maximize its performance. The porting is very "production grade" and there look to be some mistakes to my eye (It looks like the sleeve was put in lower than it should be).

I am looking to send my little powerhead to someone or some company that really knows the science of tweaking the cylinder head, block, exhaust, carburation and crankcase to maximize performance and who can do the necessary modifications.

I want someone who can modify the block and even re sleeve it if necessary, with proper porting etc. This has to be a professional!

Do you guys have a contact of a company that specializes in such things?

Please forward me that info as there isn't anyone here with these skills in Bermuda.

My email is (jayjays@northrock.bm).

Sincerely,
    JJ

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

alot of people have a bad time with them hear, has a bunch to do with the mixin oil, and the Brass, maybe thay don't makin them like that any more,

Anywho, could do it your self. then You would be the Man over thare, have not seen one in a while , but i think the jug comes right off, make some changes
    put i back on and go for a pull, thinkin that even if you over port it and have to get a new jug to start over, you would still be savin $$ by the time ya payed for shippin and labor .

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Fred,
    You know it is tempting to do it myself. I hear the steel sleeve is very hard though so I will need a proper porting tool. I don't think my dremel will work!

I've never seen one of these tools. Are they compicated or expensive?

JJ

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

dremal Works, with the right bits, it'll cut right through. get the cable drive pen attachment.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dremel works fine

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Fred View Post
    dremal Works, with the right bits, it'll cut right through. get the cable drive pen attachment.
    So does a good hand file The Dremel scares me, I get my work done on my 6's the old fashioned way.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

kinda like a power file, no way movein meat like a 1/4" aurbor bit, but More than the file, is nice when you can set the ports and then bore, but not allway the case. alot has to do with how fast you spin the bit and how hard you bare down,
    just by changin the speed and the bare down you can change the finsh effect with the same bit.
    stone bits, thay don't jump around, wich is good for say startin a finger port

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Nothing Like

Good Old Fashioned Elbow Grease. No slips, no jumping around. Steel sleeves are not a big deal when it comes to porting on them. Just get a sharp tool. Might have to sharpen it some as you go too. We use a Dremel with the cable tool attachment for the rough work, then finish by hand. You will need several different size hand files to get the job done, there is no one magic tool. Whatever fits the block and the space you are working in.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to use a dremel to work on ports etc. with the cable tool you can hang the dremel just above, clamp down the block and be free to use both hands to hold & steady. Small stone bits for steel and woodcutters for aluminum seem to work well for me. Ive been thru 4 dremels so a low cost ebay 1 is the best option then.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Guys,
    I played with the Dremel but just can't get the angles right. Is there anyone I could send my little powerhead to who can do the work and who really knows what they are doing?

Post Thanks / Like

Im kinda in a similar spot, want to hop up a motor, it isnt a mainstream race motor and some people answer - some dont. Part of it is on regular race motors data about an established method is available, so are parts. Othewise its hit or miss, might need to do more than 1 for testing. The cost of retro research & development for a 1 of a kind would be high [so would shipping]. If I knew were to send ya Id go too, just keep try-in.

Thread Information