Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bundy outboard motors.....

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bundy outboard motors.....

....Does anyone have any info on an outboard motor that was imported by Bundy corp.??? It supposedly won some enduro race in the 60s. I saw an ad for sale on ebay pertaining to this and it got me wondering.....Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Bundys were Crescents made in Italy. There must have been some tarriff/trade/tax reason to make them at a second plant in Italy instead of just shipping them from the main plant in Sweden. The famous Bundy endurance win was a single class entry (no other motors were entered in their class) ... but at least they did finish the race

I think this was a 30 or 35 hp 2 cylinder fishing motor
    Last edited by Mark75H; 12-18-2006 at 01:35 PM.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Now maybe you are wondering what a Crescent outboard is ... Crescent was part of what later became the Volvo outboard company in Sweden.

It started out as the Nyman company of Uppsala, Sweden. I think they made bicycles first, then motorcycles and scooters ... your basic 2 stroke motor device company. Thru the 1960's they sold outboards under both the Monark and Crescent names (like OMC did with Evinrude and Johnson in the US); later they used the combined Monark/Crescent name and then Monark/Crescent/Volvo

Uppsala is also the home of Huskquvarna and Electrolux manufacturing plants
    Last edited by Mark75H; 12-18-2006 at 02:34 PM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks again!

Thanks, I've seen/heard of Crescents, I was under the impression that they were strictly race motors, I've never seen a service version of a Crescent (or Bundy)... I would be interested in seeing a pic if anyone has one.

Post Thanks / Like

This web site was set up by a former Crescent employee, Carl-Eric Zander. I understand he is no longer in good health and the web site is decaying some:

http://www.nymansuppsala.se/hemsidan...inmodeller.htm

Last edited by Mark75H; 12-19-2006 at 05:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

why ya want one?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks

Thanks, Sam, it's nice to have somebody like you reporting who really knows his/her stuff. Keep up the good work.

Separately, on the subject of Swedish outboard companies, where does Archimedes-Pinta fit?

Russ

Post Thanks / Like

Russ, they all eventually rolled into one, sort of like OMC buying Johnson, Evinrude and Lockwood - and OMC later selling under the Gale and Buccaneer names as well. Another analogy could be the American Motors/Jeep combination of Willys Kaiser Frasier Nash which was later rolled into Daimler Chrysler.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Translations & such?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    Bundys were Crescents made in Italy. There must have been some tarriff/trade/tax reason to make them at a second plant in Italy instead of just shipping them from the main plant in Sweden. The famous Bundy endurance win was a single class entry (no other motors were entered in their class) ... but at least they did finish the race

I think this was a 30 or 35 hp 2 cylinder fishing motor

Sam the only Crescent at the Bundys are the decals, they are all-out Italian motors. The Crescent company had them imported to Sweden and re-decaled with start in '62-'63, this was ongoing for a few years only. It was a temporary solution before their own motors of about that size was ready for production. Crescent's main competitior the domestic Archimedes and Penta had just introduced a 25 hp and had a 43 hp in pipeline, so there was some stress at Crescent. You are interested in Crescent history??

The orange 55 is made in Uppsala
    Attached Images Attached Images   

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Could this Euro Crescent have been a Crescent Tornado hybrid?

This pictures Crescent 500 had high compression Alky? or different model - Crescent Tornado? It had type pistons distinctly different from the stock gas pistons I obtained that were knotched through machine work to lower the compression. Clearly this Crescent is unlike any I have seen operative here in North America that always had carbs mounted right on the block 90 degrees off crankshaft direction. In North America there were 2 variations of carbs as well, the Solex carbs and the Bings. Bings are featured in these pictures with their velocity stacks that are distinctly different than the straight stack extensions seen particularly on Alky Crescent C engines in North America.

Enjoy the pictures. This engine is currently undergoing further development and modernization.
    Attached Images Attached Images         

Thread Information