Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bundy outboard motors.....

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This looks like the typical 600cc block. It's origin could be of the Tornado or 600gtx. It could also be a hopped-up fishing block or an early E50. A picture of the crank and a piston could maybe clarify things a little.Only a little. Nice project

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default I will take some pics of the old innards for posting

The cranksahft is not full circle but a very sturdy press fit unit in any case. I have replaced the old pistons with Kawasaki pistons and rings that needed a little machine work to do the trick. The old chromed bores are replaces with liners are now full length cast iron (it was all awful expensive). Nikaseal would be out of sight! The original ignition uses a megentic flywheel with 3 sets of points and condensers, with 3 energizing coils that provided power to one secondary discharge coil per sparkplug. I am unsure I am staying with that seeing the cogged belt drive Mercury CD tripple setups I have seen put on other Crescents already that are very reliable and that also lets you lighten the flywheel too. This engine is destined to have expansion chamber exhausts, a 3 into 1 system. At least the midsection and gearcase are all ready and need nothing further.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

With the 3-point ignition and the bottom-hose carbs & air horns, if they belongs to the block it is most likely of a Tornado/55sport motor. About '70-'72 era. The 600cc was originally launched in '63 as the Penta/Archimedes E50 of 43hp. Last 600cc was the VolvoPenta60hp -'76. GOOD blocks are VERY hard to get. Pic shows the Tornado's fishing brother with the new gearcase.

In '66 Nymans took over Electrolux' outboard manufacture of Penta/Archimedes and moved it to their new plant in Uppsala. They got a line of 4-43 hp's, but theCrescent engineers rejected everything except the 600cc and it's gearcase/transomstuff. Later they used these underwater parts in improved form for various powerheads. The third pic is of a E50 '63. Everyone on the lake could hear them coming. Coolest sounding fishing motor?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Matts, I did some looking for commentary

Your latest pictures are very much like this engine, its probably a Tornado 55.

I got out the Crescent's box of "kaput" parts, the 3 pistons. All 3 were overheated and scored into being useless. One piston had a uniform flat top while the other 2 had sections of their crowns machined down to lessen their compression. They all used 2 rings that are pinned and rectangular in shape. Each long skirt knotched piston measured 62 millimeters in diameter in their sorry scored state.

In the ignition spare parts box there were TT 2ndary coils as well as Bosch secondary coils not unlike you find on snowmobile engines used everwhere.

The crankshaft is a rather beefy non-full circle pinned unit made up of 3 sets of paired "porkchop" plates to hold the big end pins. Ironically the crankshaft output to driveshaft splines are the same as Mercury 30H drivshaft splines for input.

Carbs are all Bings but someone across the pond there put 3 nice aluminum belled velocity stacks on each one. The Crescent 500 Alkys I have ever laid eyes on have a kind of carb barrel extension that reminds you of a straight hog's nose screwed onto the barrel of the Bing! I have a couple of them but the third is missing.

The last time I saw a Crescent Super C 500 gasser was in Alberta, Canada. It was a Dick O"Dea prepared engine and the owner and driver was from Montana. He had no one to run with so he was merged with some 20+ D-Stock hydros for a couple of heats, the rest of the hydros were powered by Merc 55Hs at that time (1979) which in the end he, the Crescent lapped us all anyway! And proceeded to do all that over again in the second heat too! That motor was what we called strong silent power!

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Here is some pictures to help ID this Crescent engine

I hope these pictures help ID the type of Crescent this is. It had 2 kinds of pistons in it that were different. The crankshaft is beefy enough and the ignition might help too.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Some of the extra carb stuff that came with it too

In addition to the 3 gasoline Bing carbs with 90 degree mounting manifolds and belled velocity stacks there was these 2 converted to Alky Bing carbs with their hog's nose type velocity stacks as well that you only ever seen on Alkys in these parts of North America. All this and 2 types and compressions of pistons that came with the block makes one wonder what this engine was all about? It came from Europe somewhere via the UK so maybe someone might know its history. Evidently it also had a set of stacks hanging from it too, which I don't have. Any ideas or answers anyone?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The crank and armature plate assy looks like typical 600cc stuff. (the plate were used on some 500 fishing motors too) The coils are of the old '60s design. The 600cc sport cranks have a little "+" etched on them.

Have you seen this old Volvo commercial? Seven minutes of 600cc, mainly from Rouen '75
    http://www.penta.volvo.se/history/lo.../honken_T1.mov

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Quite the video even dodging lumber!

They were brave people there dodging wood and trash in the water. I saw a DSH hydro fall victim to a 2 X4 x 8ft floater that shot the driver knees first right through the front of the raceboat taking steering cowl and all with him as if he was bodily cleaning out a cattle feed trough!

Its nice to know what this terror ahemmm! Crescent Toronado is about. I wonder of there is some way of sneaking it into Super E with a canvass bag over the powerhead!

Post Thanks / Like

Hej Matts,
    could you contact me, please? I have quite a big collection of Crescent stuff (also member of Nyman Vanners). I think you could help me out with some info Im still missing. Im happy to share everything I have...
    You can contact me via email or PM
    Thanks
    Roman

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bundy AD´s

Here you can see the original Bundy ADá without a Crescent sticker..

Thread Information