Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Technical Info on Ray Hardy's "GADGET"

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

No Jeff--Mine and Tim Butt's.

Corin--I was long out of racing by the time Peer started, but Walt Blankenstein left the injection system over there and it was made out of the same type of equipment that was described earlier. I just didn't remember any check valves.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yes.........Valleyfield. I thought you were saying a Canadian had one.

Post Thanks / Like

No, I kind of cheated on that one Jeff. As I remember...the question was whether or not one ever made it there......eh?

Somewhere I have some notes made up by Harry Pasturczak regarding rotary valves. Anyone who has ever seen notes or drawings by Harry will remember them as masterpieces. Everything he did was extremely precise.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Adjustable RV's

[QUOTE=Master Oil Racing Team;28143]Seems to me we did a little bit of thinking along those same lines of your mechanical advance also Sam. That was before Ray came up with his automatic advancer.

We used to have a degree wheel that fit on the rounded upper portion of the flywheel nut. I think we got it from Harry Pasturczak when he first started making rotary valves. His were much better than the original Konig rotary valves which tended to warp while running and hang up on the housing when closing. Later Konig valves were of a better metal.
    QUOTE]

Wayne,
    I ran RB and 350 Hydro back in the late 80's & early 90's. Jack Gosman did most of my (and my fathers) motor work (as we both lived just a few miles from Jack), so I used to hang around his shop quite alot. I definetly recall back then, Jack designing & experimenting with a mechanical Rotary Valve advancing/retarding strategy on one of his 500's. If I remember correctly, he was basically trying to allow the Rotary Valve to stay Open longer only at WOT (wide open throttle). Without reveiling to many of his secrets (yes I agree with you, that performace enhancements should be "Learned" and NOT "Shared"), he basically made & installed a "2nd" Rotary Valve plate that was adjusted based on a certain throttle percentage.

I thought his idea & approach was original and pretty ingenious, but then I also thought "with how smart & creative Dieter definetly is, wouldn't HE have already thought about and experimented with having an "adjustable RV" long before this?".

Anyway, to make a long story short, it didn't really work. After some tweaking & adjustments (to the engine AND the 2nd RV), "it" never seemed to have showed any substantial performance increases (bottom, mid or upper levels) as was expected.

But like someone else said, there's a whole new breed of designers, engineers & motorheads in the world now who can/has/will apply alot of New Technology to Old(er) applications for significantly higher performance gains.

Case in point, who else here remembers being at Lakeland and watching Chris Hellsten totally annihilate most all of the best "350's" in the country with his new Rossi "250" (and he really didn't even get a great Start to boot)! After that first heat was over, everyone pretty much knew that they've just witnessed a whole new page (in Technology & PRO Racing) has been turned.

Guy

Post Thanks / Like

Jack Gosman definitely did good motor work Guy. When your Dad showed up at a race, he was always one of those to beat. He was plenty fast and knew how to drive.

As far as Dieter goes, I am like you and think he must have played around with it. He may have decided potential problems outweight any gains. You know his motors were really pretty basic and would run good out of the box. When you think about additional gadgets to perk up the motor, you also throw in more things to happen.

And your point is exactly right about the technology Guy. That's what always kept us in the Pro division. If we wanted to play around with something we could do it without having to worry about any gray areas. We never thought of the concept of the additional rotary valve plate, but who knows---someone else could come along and combine or improve on ideas and make it work.

Hope you and your Dad make it to DePue. (Is is still on?)

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Three at Valleyfield

Valleyfield was one race where I ran my gizmo. I also used water injection for quite a few years, but it mainly helped really low RPM.

The RV timing on the Konigs varied with displacement (volume and inertia of the air stream). Wayne: I think your valve timing numbers refer to something other than closing. I ran about 0.750 ATDC closing on my 500 and 0.850 on my 700, if I remember right; and the 350 ran 0.575 to 0.600. I found a ZAK note on his RV disks. I'll scan it (- then I'll "foul out" on posting....help)

Sam: Hint: You need to retard the RV at high speed, not advance.

A note about RPM-related, adjustable devices linked to the throttle. They only work if you intend to accelerate at part throttle.

Fred

Post Thanks / Like

You know Fred, I was wondering exactly the same thing when I looked at my old test sheets. There were a couple of entries that seemed crazy. It's been too long for me to remember exactly, but I think it is all a matter of reference points. I think we were measuring from a point of the disc just starting to close rather than at the physical point of closing.

The way our CAV and the later RAV was set up was at lower rpm's it would be close to the static closing as we measured. When it was at speed, the timing would change. At least it would on the RAV. The changes on the CAV were only temporary on the occasions that it wouldn't stick. On the CAV the timing would change temporarily as you accelerate, but when the rpm's stablized on the straights I think the timing moved closer to the original timing. At least that's my opinion. We called it advancing because of the way some similar devices worked, but I get confused on which way it went. I need to free up my old RAV and check it out.

Fred when you say you "foul out" after posting, do you mean you get a notice that you are not logged on? If that's whats happening you can do something with the remember me box, or what I do is scroll down and log back in then the post goes where it is supposed to.

Thread Information