Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50 hp

Post Thanks / Like

Default 50 hp

Ive got a 1972 OMC 2 cyl. 50hp Im thinkin about Rat-ify-in, before the time and expense I wonder if anyone knows if it has the same footprint / shaft spline size as a typical E,F 3 holer? In case I wanna do it differently further on down the river.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking The Old 50 Omc'zer

The Best Way To Fix That Eng Is To Tie A 150ft Rope On It, It Will Make A Ggggggrrrrreeeeaaaattttt Anchor:d :d :d

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mercmack View Post
    The Best Way To Fix That Eng Is To Tie A 150ft Rope On It, It Will Make A Ggggggrrrrreeeeaaaattttt Anchor:d :d :d
    LOL!!!
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Post Thanks / Like

That bad eh? It still runs, Ive got lots of WOT time on it, It will start instantly after a winter aaannd has 175 lbs compression with no work done.
    I put a Merc 50 on the same boat thinkin itll go now... ALMOST but no, the truth is the OMC outperforms and WAY outlasted it. still goin in salt.
    Keep point-n & laff-n thats all fun but does anybody know?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mercguy View Post
    LOL!!!
    Have you test run the Bass Too-Hot-Sue ?? How is it?

Post Thanks / Like

LOL, after you've seen one modded to go 100 mph, you'd have a different used for it
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking True Store About The 50 Hp

Many And I Mean Many Years Ago When I Was Stationed At Homestead Afb, Fl..i Went Down To The Maithon Nationals In Key West, Fl ..back When The 50 Hp Had Just Come Out..i Was Taking To A Omc Rep That Was There..he Said If You Rev The Shi## Out Of Them They Will Live For Ever..its The Fishermen That Have It Proped To Only Turn Said 4600 To 4900 Rpm; That Kills The Eng..yes It Kill The Mercs That Day..not That I Want To Say That..
    So If You Get One In The Shop That Wont Idle At All, Run Great Above Say 1500 Rpms And You Give It A Leakdown Test And Its All Leak Down..its Time To Make The Square Holes Round Again..
    I Had Two Of Them This Past Summer At The Part Time Job..one Was A 60hp And I Am Stilll Trying To Talk Him Out Of It Now.(is On A Pontoon Boat)...:d :d

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Many And I Mean Many Years Ago When I Was Stationed At Homestead Afb, Fl..i Went Down To The Maithon Nationals In Key West, Fl ..back When The 50 Hp Had Just Come Out..i Was Taking To A Omc Rep That Was There..he Said If You Rev The Shi## Out Of Them They Will Live For Ever..its The Fishermen That Have It Proped To Only Turn Said 4600 To 4900 Rpm; That Kills The Eng..yes It Kill The Mercs That Day..not That I Want To Say That..
    So If You Get One In The Shop That Wont Idle At All, Run Great Above Say 1500 Rpms And You Give It A Leakdown Test And Its All Leak Down..its Time To Make The Square Holes Round Again..
    I Had Two Of Them This Past Summer At The Part Time Job..one Was A 60hp And I Am Stilll Trying To Talk Him Out Of It Now.(is On A Pontoon Boat)...:d :d
    The 60 would be a 3 holer? The 50s 2, Ive got it bolted high, tilted out on a 15ft aluminum Cherokee, [its heavy duty]. Yup it gets airtime, I ran this for about a decade, always on it and even ran 12 gallons of 100 to 1 by mistake no problem. Definitly a posterchild OMC.

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 50 horse 2 holer

he is talking about a 60 horse two holer . Not talking at all about 3 holers.( merc mack is my buddy)

Post Thanks / Like

Just askin a Q, aint got an answer. I can find out and all, just hoped askin here might be an easy button. Seems instead I knocked on the cabin fever door. I know I got it, aint been on h2o since the 6th.

Thread Information