Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: what`s the deal?

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

thats it,
    Will the 49" cranks fit the 56" motors and vice versa?
    yes, rods too.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tried It

I think you are on the right path, if I can understand your accent....hehehhe.

We have tried a lot of Mod 50 stuff, and so has Ralph. You want the honest truth ? We threw most of it away. No real performance advantage except for exhaust, and that is minimal. I beat Ralph last year in Okalhoma and Centralia one heat using a stock exhaust opened up a bit. Much less expensive, easy to find, and cheap.

Pistons, I had an orignal set of Mod 50 pistons from Europe. Had the rods to go with them. We fitted them into out 49" and farted around with them. I was faster using stock stuff. So, the expense and hassele of finding Mod 50 parts to run in Mod is a myth. You can make the cheap easy to find stuff run as fast if not faster. Ever find a Mod 50 set of pistons laying in the junk pile anywhere ? Not likley, or any Mod 50 part. You have to get lucky to know someone who knows of someone that had a set and track the stuff down.

Quote Originally Posted by David_L6 View Post
    Dave,

Do you think that maybe that's because of the weight of the cranks vs the weight of the pistons and rods? Not sure how to word this...... The cast crank is lighter therefore there is a greater difference between the weight of the pistons and rods and counterweights of the crank and the forged crank is heavier so there is less of a difference. ??? Hope that makes sense to someone!

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

so then did you want to sell that Mo'no go 50 exhaust?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default No

Fred,

I assume you mean the Mod 50 Exhaust. That is about the only thing that works reasonably well. I have built many a duplicate to it using some angle aluminum, and some tig welding. Not difficult at all. Just easier to whittle on the stock exhaust and gain equal performance. My Mod 50 Exhaust is on its last leg, two ears cracked so I am afraid the next time I try to remove it it shall be the last. To much oil inpregnated in the thin spots to try and weld it.

At any rate, if your rules in SLT allow you to make your own exhaust, I would highly reccomend you make a copy. With your skills as a engine builder, I am sure this will be easy. The only tricky thing is if you want to incorporate a water jacket cover along with it, or just drill some holes like i did and allow the water to flow onto the exhaust plate.

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

in "X" class the rules are vary simple, 61 cubes or less, exhaust must exit through the mid. thats about it, them guys at the factory made tons of dyno pulls, why try to copy a dunkin donut, any who, hears a tip, reed block IS the LIMITING FACTOR, i guess i'll just buy some new ones, again , if you change your mind let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

Fred did you look at the 90 yham reed cages and see if they will flow more and fit?

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

i don't think thay will fit, but, on the 49 reed block, cut the webbin and the center bridges out, two stage reed, top reed is one Big peddle, so what you have looks like a one over one peddle reed block, wach out for a lean sneeze, had them blow apart.

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lean ?

Which part blue ?................................................. .......in my not so humble opinion, lean is bad news for 2 strokes. They always blow . maybe not quite so bad for a kilo run .

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

lean sneeze, happens at low speed, mostly at start up, one cyl only gets a parshall charge,burns lean lights off the in comin charge, burps out the carb, i've had this sistuation blow the tricked out reed block to bits.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default You Lost Me On That one...

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Fred View Post
    in "X" class the rules are vary simple, 61 cubes or less, exhaust must exit through the mid. thats about it, them guys at the factory made tons of dyno pulls, why try to copy a dunkin donut, any who, hears a tip, reed block IS the LIMITING FACTOR, i guess i'll just buy some new ones, again , if you change your mind let me know.
    You are saying you want one, but the factory teams have them and dyno tested them, so you don't want one because of what they have seen on the dyno. But if one in its stock form comes along, you want one.

Did I get the jist of that right ?

Thread Information