Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are these Quincy pipes?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Are these Quincy pipes?

I was hoping that someone might be able to verify something for me. I have attached two pictures of exhaust pipes for an A or B deflector Mercury. If my fading memory serves me correctly, these are Quincy Welding pipes from the early 60s. They are steel pipes and there are two water relief holes at the top of the plate & two in the front of the plate. All four holes are drilled on an angle to spray water on the pipes and elbows. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I bought these pipes just the other day. While they are pretty old, there is no evidence that they were ever used - not even bolted to an engine. I am glad to have found them. Quincy pipes?

Thank you,

Barry Rees
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, those are Quincy pipes

The reinforcing gussets and distinctive high quality welding give them away
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post

Thanks for your help, Sam. I appreciate it.

Barry

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, those are 99% sure Quincy Welding pipes. Unless someone was an expert copier. And based on the age of the pipe, would tell me they are true Quincy pipes. I know, I have a set of them.

Mark Crabtree

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Something to ponder :Question for Mk75 H

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......................Many years ago , talking to Lon Stevens , he told me that Quincy pipes on a STOCK Mk55H (4 pipes) put out more power than his own 2 pipe system, BUT, a full house Mk55h would get more gain with his two pipe system. Why is that ? size /and or length of pipes ?

Post Thanks / Like

Paul Christner says the dyno logs from Quincy show that the one pipe per cylinder Quincy stacks always pulled the most power on the dyno. But - the converging pipes help motors with less peak power win races. Racing isn't who has the most power or who can run the highest top speed, it is who is "firstest" as someone said long ago.

I have a set of converging pipes made by Freddie Goehl, faithful copies of Quincys, and a set of Stevens pipes and feel that the Stevens pipes give more power. There are slight differences in the lengths overall, sizes at various points, the length to where the pairs converge and difference in the megaphone angle. I suspect the length to the merge may be the key. I could be completely wrong, it may be some other factor or the combination of all of the differences.

Some years ago I asked O.F. if the length to the merge was critical and he told me that they didn't do much if any research into different lengths for the merge; it worked and that was enough.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not trying to highjack this thread, but since I built most of the pipes that came out of Quincy Welding between 1962 and 1973, I feel perhaps I might not be out of line. (Also I'm not too savvy at starting my own threads).

I had a visitor at the house yesterday.

Rich Hivley raced Modified during the 70's. Jack McGrury built all his engines. Jack considered Rich his son. Rich and his brothers Sam and Floyd were even listed as "family" in Jack's obituary!

When Jack was still living I would give him my past issues of "Propeller" magazines. Jack would then pass them on to Rich. Since Jack's death I have accummulated quite a few copies of "Propellers". I invited Rich over to pick them up.

As we were visiting, Rich noticed my Gerry (Jerry) Waldman plaque from the reunion at DePue. As we talked about my involvment with Gerry, I became a little emotional.

Rich commented that whenever Jack talked to him about Gerry, He got emotional as well and added, "He must have been quite a man".

Yes he was Rich, and by the way, so was Jack!

Post Thanks / Like

Default 4 Pipes

I ran a Quincy 4 pipe set up on my DMH in the early 70's.This motor was all ways in the front, It finished second in the 74 MOD Nat's, won the first heat hands down was in the front in second heat when the motor clamps came loose. most all of the other boats had Bayer pipes. On our EMH we had Quincy 2 into i pipes It won 74 Nat's with most others running Bayer. Sam, i can tell you that the merge makes more diff. than any other part of the pipe sys. My dad later built all of our pipes. He
    had me testing all the time until he got them right. One kind of merge will run top end another will come out the turn good, some won't run at all. We had water injection on one set on a 20H, because they would go out like chambers do at lower speed. There are people who want to copy some of these pipes today but that not going to happen.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Good Point Danny

Merge does make a difference. Keep those little tidbits quiet for a bit. We still run DMH and EMH with the NBRA.

I don't remember your 4 pipe engine, I was all of 3 that year, but I have seen some with a 4 pipe set up. It sure looks mean as hell.

I guess after being around this most of my life I have picked up speed secrets from my Grandpa and my Dad. Would I ever share those ? Not a chance. Some things you just have to honor.

I sure wish we could test open pipes around me, I have so many ideas I would like to try, but having to travel a couple hours to test them makes it tough to want to. I can say one thing about megaphones, they sure do work on a OMC. I can say that because I saw someone else try it first. And they kicked my butt.

Post Thanks / Like

Did Quincy ever build any staged megaphones for the deflector Mercs as they had on their own flatheads? I saw staged megaphones on the 4-cyl F class 850 Mercs, not built by Quincy I don't think, but don't recall seeing them on A-B-C-D engines in the '60s (tho' the MOD crowd, which came along later, may have adopted them).

Thread Information