Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleek Craft Patent MOD VP

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sleek Craft Patent MOD VP

Never knew about this. Jim Buckhorn gave me the first issue of The Western Boatman, February 1983...

Sleek Craft ad...
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

Default Inquisitive minds have to know

I was always under the impression that Sidewinder boats were the first ever to successfully gain a patent for their hard lined design and wrap around windsheild that was integrated to the deck. Soon after that year, which was 1968 or 9, many companies saw the success that design had and made similar versions. Switzercraft for example took the Super Sport foot print, integrated a wrap around windshield and called it the "Playboy". Sidewinder later filed suite against some manufacturer and everyone's designs changed soon after. Sleek Craft appears to have done it for the bottom design, have there been any claims by them against those who copied them???

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Patents

Patents on boat hulls are nothing more than marketing hype. In the 80's, a big contingent of boat builders tried to put some teeth into boat patents. Supreme Court tossed it out saying that there were too many variables in the industry and that putting a patent on every boat mold would hurt the boat business more than help it. How well it gets thrown against the wall and sticks depends on the court. If a case goes to the high court it will get tossed out. I remember years ago seeing a patent on the "stepped transom". How many people claim to have invented that?

I do remember going for a 100 mph ride in one of those Sleekcraft Mod-VP's. Very solid ride for a mono bow style design.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Do Know...

I do know that there was a boat company called Ranger (Not Ranger Bass Boats), but Bruce shut them down and got their molds.... I think the anti-splash laws actually have some teeth in them today....

Here is a picture of the LATE Kim Howard when he won Havasu...(I have no details on Kim's passing except to know he passed around CXHristmas, 2006..)...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

The reason boat hulls couldn't be protected in the past was due to one judge who made a ruling that 10% of a hull had to be changed before it would not be considered design theft. This judge had no clue what was involved in designing boats, nor what constituted the most important aspect of a boat hull. He didn't understand how easy it would be to take someone else's years of work, and make a non-running surface 10% modification. In other words, that one ruling destroyed all design protections the true builders once had.

Today, you might not be able to put a patent on a hull, but as of 1998, you can definitely get a copyright on your original hull design. The fine is $50,000 and destruction of all copies and molds + any loss of sales. This law actually sticks as it has already been used a few times.

Here's a link to this new law:
    http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap13.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Poole View Post
    Patents on boat hulls are nothing more than marketing hype. In the 80's, a big contingent of boat builders tried to put some teeth into boat patents. Supreme Court tossed it out saying that there were too many variables in the industry and that putting a patent on every boat mold would hurt the boat business more than help it. How well it gets thrown against the wall and sticks depends on the court. If a case goes to the high court it will get tossed out. I remember years ago seeing a patent on the "stepped transom". How many people claim to have invented that?

I do remember going for a 100 mph ride in one of those Sleekcraft Mod-VP's. Very solid ride for a mono bow style design.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Splashing

I guess in this part of the country nobody bothers to copyright a boat. As soon as anyone builds a 15 to 22 ft. fishing boat that sells it gets splashed, and splashed again. It is stupid funny how many of the same hulls are built by different companies. Many times there are no changes made at all. It has been years since I have seen an all original design show up around here.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Perfect.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I have three friends who all have the same boat with a different name, Cobra,Viper and Hawk all the exact same boat 2 are the same year.
    THIBODAUX RACING... Timmy Thibodaux

Team Switzercraft TomAprilsSwitzers's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Couldn't be more wrong about the Switzer Playboy

Quote Originally Posted by Skoontz View Post
    I was always under the impression that Sidewinder boats were the first ever to successfully gain a patent for their hard lined design and wrap around windsheild that was integrated to the deck. Soon after that year, which was 1968 or 9, many companies saw the success that design had and made similar versions. Switzercraft for example took the Super Sport foot print, integrated a wrap around windshield and called it the "Playboy". Sidewinder later filed suite against some manufacturer and everyone's designs changed soon after. Sleek Craft appears to have done it for the bottom design, have there been any claims by them against those who copied them???
    Skooonz the Switzer Playboy was first molded in 1965 but not released till 1966. The Switzer Playboy was a Square nose V bottom that looks tri hull in design but actually is a V. This boat was a hybrid combination of the Switzer Holiday Hull and the Switzer Shooting Star Deck. They made only 50 of these boats; 25 14 footers and 25 16 footers. I was able to find an original 1965 before the fins in back were changed from pointed to flat. Captain Nabbers Boat Shop in Morris Illinois pulled a mold off that boat,modified the motor well and built me a new one,which sailed for the first time last fall. You can see it on my site at www.freewebs.com/switzercraftreunionregattas/ ...Now I have seen what looks like a Switzer SK 175 on the Switzer Yahoo site that matches your description but the SK did not come out till 1977....Tom Arambasich...Come on Summer!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Tom:

Since I posted that I did some digging...I know the Playboy.... The boat I speak of that was kind of like a Sidewinder copy, was a 17' Switzer. Rounded nose like a Super Sport. The transom had wrap back wings like the later editon Super Sports...But, the side ran up like the Sidewinder, and connected at about the same height to the windsheild similar to the Sidewinder. Dont know this model name, but, the time frame was 1970/71. Our neighbor bought one new from Carl Stirn's Marine with a 125 Johnson.

About 1977, some genius running with no lights 4th of July night after the fireworks T boned him and we ended up working hard to get him to shore before his boat sank. The boat was a total loss...Anyway, that is the boat, any idea what model it may have been? There were not too many made at all. If you see Bobby, he may remember the boat, it was Aqua Marine metal flake.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAprilsSwitzers View Post

Skooonz the Switzer Playboy was first molded in 1965 but not released till 1966. The Switzer Playboy was a Square nose V bottom that looks tri hull in design but actually is a V. This boat was a hybrid combination of the Switzer Holiday Hull and the Switzer Shooting Star Deck. They made only 50 of these boats; 25 14 footers and 25 16 footers. I was able to find an original 1965 before the fins in back were changed from pointed to flat. Captain Nabbers Boat Shop in Morris Illinois pulled a mold off that boat,modified the motor well and built me a new one,which sailed for the first time last fall. You can see it on my site at www.freewebs.com/switzercraftreunionregattas/ ...Now I have seen what looks like a Switzer SK 175 on the Switzer Yahoo site that matches your description but the SK did not come out till 1977....Tom Arambasich...Come on Summer!!!!
    Bill Schwab
    Dirty Deck Brewing
    Company

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Poole View Post
    I guess in this part of the country nobody bothers to copyright a boat. As soon as anyone builds a 15 to 22 ft. fishing boat that sells it gets splashed, and splashed again. It is stupid funny how many of the same hulls are built by different companies. Many times there are no changes made at all. It has been years since I have seen an all original design show up around here.
    A reason that some are still not using the new "hull design" law is that you can't copyright any design that existed prior to 1998. Starting in 1998, it became possible to copyright your original 1998 or newer design, but you have to provide extensive proof that your design was not based on any pre-existing design.

In other words, you must show proof that you were the sole designer: You do this by providing drawings, architectural invoices, and photographs of the plug as it is being made (and must be a stand-alone plug that is 100% your design - one that is not formed by using a part of an existing product).

Basically, you provide the copyright office with all the evidence that you were the original designer - 100% - including photographs of the laborious and time-consuming procedure of building a raw plug from scratch/drawings - things a builder usually is not able to produce if the boat is not 100% original.

That last step is preventing many builders from being able to secure copyright protection, because many builders are using hull parts from designs established before 1998 - which are not allowed even if those hull parts are their own.

Thread Information