Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Skip Talbot: Stockton to Colusa 1967

Post Thanks / Like

Default Skip Talbot: Stockton to Colusa 1967

These pictures show Skip Talbot leading. The drivers were to follow the pace boat until the flag was dropped. But the flag holder fell down in the boat, and everyone saw the flag "Drop" so they started.

Skip was leading when he hit a CABLE that was submerged. as you can see he kind of went "*** OVER TEA KETTLE" when he it it. No one was hurt, but Skip got sued by the city for hitting their cable....Makes sense to me!!!

Jimmy Clinkenbeard, owner of West Anaheim Marine, driving a RUSS HILL balanced Merc, stops to help. OPC Racing (Outboard Pleasure Craft) was doing quite well, on the west coast, without APBA in the 1960's....OF course, law suits, helped people like me, point out that APBA would have covered Skip's suit...

Leo B. Wildman's photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up great photos

Great shots of the start do you know if this is one of the stylecraft boats? Are any of them left in the world today? I have just found this site and am realy enjoying it looking at all the old photos and reading about all the names i remember from back then as i worked for stylecraft in the old days. I would love to see more photos thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Ron:

The story my dad told me was that he hit a cable that was "supposed" to be about 5' under the water, it was used for one of the delta ferries. If I remember correctly, it was the ferry just north of Rio Vista.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Default Skip Talbot

At the drivers meeting we were told to run to the Elk Horn ferry and thats where the start would be as they had no way of controling the ferry . { There is a bridge there now. }When the ferry isnt crossing then the cable was deep enough to pass. As luck would have it the ferry was going across as the boats approached . They were supposed to stop . I have heard that the flag man fell [ thus the flag went down ] and the boats started racing.
    I vividly remember going past the cable [ we were in jp class ] and seeing that stylecraft just hanging there.
    The part that most dont know is the start back from Colusa. All these boats milling in a very small slough waves 6' high , from 40 hp mercurys up to the twins, my guess 75 to 100 boats , Most with bad hang overs from the party the night before [ as we were ] and finally the start . The first race for the Allisons in our class , blew the doors of every one else.
    God , boat racing was good in those days.
    Joe , I think I posted a pic. of your dad in that race a long time ago at BRF.
    The race was actually from Sacramento to Colusa . The last time it was ever run .
    P.S. The last I heard Skip is living in Discovery Bay and doing good, but that was a few years ago .
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Right now I have the checkered flag hanging in my shop that my dad and my uncle won in the 1962 Stockton-Colusa race.

Jack: Since you were there, I guess you would remember the details.

Joe

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default stockton to colusa

before those races were the Stockton to Redding race. one way. Later it was changed to Stockton to Colusa (one day ) and back (next day .

bill boyes

My father bought me the D runabout that won the Stockton to Redding race. I have a picture of me running it at Hart Park somewhere. I will post it when I find it. I was 14 years old and Dad wanted me in a big boat. 14 foot DeSilva. When i was 15 & 6mos you could get a drivers learner permit in Calif. That is when Bill and Ralph put me to work after school and Saturdays. $1.25 an hour.

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default DeSilva Boat Shop

Quote Originally Posted by bill boyes View Post
    My father bought me the D runabout that won the Stockton to Redding race. I have a picture of me running it at Hart Park somewhere. I will post it when I find it. I was 14 years old and Dad wanted me in a big boat. 14 foot DeSilva. When i was 15 & 6mos you could get a drivers learner permit in Calif. That is when Bill and Ralph put me to work after school and Saturdays. $1.25 an hour.
    Where was their Boat shop in those days ? When MercMac & I went to see them , their shop was in Sabastopol, California .
    Last edited by Roy Hodges; 07-06-2007 at 02:40 PM. Reason: spelling

bill boyes

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Hodges View Post
    Where was their Boat shop in those days ? When MercMac & I went to see them , their shop was in Sabastopol, California .
    Culver City. On La Cienega Ave between Washington Blvd and Venice Blvd. I would drive from Moringside Park on La Cienega Blvd turn left on Washinton Blvd to La Cienega Ave. Then right and you were there. Very close to the movie studio's in those days. Had many movie people come visit. I still have some wood working tools that I brought from a nearby hardware store. I still use them today. Billy married late in life and his wife had family property in Sabastopol. That is how they ended up there. Now you know more than you really wanted.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Skip Talbot

Yes that was a Stylecraft cat..and Skip's leg was hurt pretty bad..in fact he quit racing shortly after the Drag Boat Natls in 67 because of the injury..he moved to Nevada and became the father of civilian 50cal shooting..held all the records, made rifles, and sorry to say passed away at a match 2 years ago..

http://www.fiftycal.org/skipt-eulogy.php

Thread Information