Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OPC when it was Outboard Pleasure Craft

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sportmaster

I had a Sportmaster too. Won FH Albany to NY with it in 1965 It was very sensitive to props. John DiPetra work my Sportmaster Props (Mercury). Didn't realize Michigan had Sportmaster Props or I would had had some. MIchigans were my best stock unit props and speedmaster props. Boat was a 1964 15'2" Allsion.

Also had a 1000 Speedmaster would run 70/71 on the Speedometer on the Allison.

Still have the Speedmaster prop we set the SH record with in 1968. Boat was the above pictured Switzer.
    Last edited by Ted March; 02-06-2005 at 12:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default props

Only used a Michigan on my speedmasters..the same one on all of the engines, just wound the motor tighter..I don't ever remember seeing one for a sportmaster..the boat handled so much better with it..Marcel Raveau was my prop man...with a ball peen on thr trailer hitch..then we would sand it smooth..lots of hammering for the 1000..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Misunderstand your post

Props were a bitch on the spoetnaster. Couldn't really make them work, but
    the bottom line is, as bad as they were, the sportmaster set up was better that the club foot.

Only props I ever ran on the speedmaster were Michigans. Went through the same experience with Paul Allison and the ball peen hammer and you went thru with Marcel

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Powercat
    Ted:
    That explains it then.. ... .....
    But since these were supposed to be "pleasure" craft that would
    be a logical rule. Kept the older motors competitive for several
    years also... Glad you cleared that up...
    Thanks
    Danny Leger
    You could and Iam sure a110 or 100 power head in a 8oo cowling and use the DR feature and speedmaster amd sportmaster Fleetmaster was the club foot Sportmaster was half as big
    Lloyd Burns MVP 49

Post Thanks / Like

Default My 1000 Speedmaster

was a 1000 powerhead on an 800 frame. The only place it was legal was in the unlimited classes.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Yep, nearly 6 mph faster on a flat bottom wooden Allison, with 17" or 19" Quicksilver prop, can't recall which pitch we ran in 1960. Busted 60 mph with the 13' Allison driving from backseat. Our Quicksilver props arrived cupped from Oshkosh, although we were as capable as Paul of doing the right job with a ball-peen hammer on the edge of an old chrome-plated bumper. Paul had a tendency to cup too much by 1961.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted March View Post
    Props were a bitch on the spoetnaster. Couldn't really make them work, but
    the bottom line is, as bad as they were, the sportmaster set up was better that the club foot.

Only props I ever ran on the speedmaster were Michigans. Went through the same experience with Paul Allison and the ball peen hammer and you went thru with Marcel

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Was there an OPC race in APBA anywhere except at the Orange Bowl Regatta in 1961? Must have been 1962 that Allison boats won at the Orange Bowl Regatta-? Yes, my old friend Edgar selectively wrote OPC history as if NOA never existed (he does know better), but OPC had exploded in NOA during 1957-1960.

A different question: when did Roy Rogers run twin Mark 55s on a 14' Yellow Jacket, and under what racing organization?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    The calender year was 1961, the month was December. APBA's racing year runs from November 1 the previous year thru October 31 of the calendar year.

Records set and races run in November and December of 1961 count as 1962 events .... with 1961 dates.

For a few years before that, OPC ran as a probationary division under APBA's "Special Events" division. Edgar Rose drafted the rules, you can guess who they favored.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Opc

The South Florida Outboard Marathon Club was the first sanctioned OPC club, and we put on the first races around 60-61. We raced all over. The term Orange Bowl came from the Orange Bowl Regatta that was held every year around Dec or Jan..It was mainly an inboard event, with Stock Outboards added sometimes..The OB Regatta lasted a couple weeks, to get in all the events, including the Around Miami Beach Race..It was a spectacular couple weeks..
    The Nine Hour Race was I think an APBA event, with just about every class you could imagine..I know it was an UIM event..The Six Hour was strictly OPC. We raced OPC all over Florida. I went in the service in Jan 64, so the best man to fill in the gaps would be Velox on S&F..

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have seen the reprduction wooden allison on S&F allison anniversery celebration..does anyone have a pic from a boat back in the day?

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

The one you refer to was a step-plane, Paul's first boat, if a photo of the original exists then it would be in the Knoxville area owned by I don't know whom. The wooden Allisons raced 1958-60 were flat bottoms and are shown under my 'NOA' posting. Below is Darris with the copy of the ca. 1955 step-plane that he made for Paul's 81st birthday. Also shown are an 'old Allison' and an 'old Allison driver', photos from Sept. 2008 at the factory in Louisville, Tenn. and from Paul and Lucille's house in nearby Friendsville.

Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    I have seen the reprduction wooden allison on S&F allison anniversery celebration..does anyone have a pic from a boat back in the day?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thread Information