Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Need the facts (From the OMC xperts)

Post Thanks / Like

Tom has a a cardinal rule point here.... Whenever I brought a prop to Don Hendrich, the first thing he would ask me is how high my rooster tail was. Typically, if you can see the spray over the hood of an OMC motor under full power, you need to lower your motor, or figure out whats going on before you can get your set up to work. So, if the rooster tail is over 5' off water, you need to set the motor lower because the prop blades are throwing too much in the air rather than thrust behind the boat....

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tomtall View Post
    The thing that cracks me up when I watch the guys in our area with their $50,000 bass boats they bought at the local Bass Pro Shop store is they have a rooster tall 100' long behind their boat trimmed to the moon trying to get the bow to carry and going 65 mph. Keep the motor trim neutral with a laid down rooster tail. If you need a prop with more rake to get the bow up to do this, so be it.
    Yes, the bass boating 'subculture' is kind of funny to observe. Kind of like the golfers that buy all the latest gasget clubs to improve their game... Thats all I'll say about that. Except that where I grew up (S. Louisiana) if you wanted to catch fish, you use a fishing boat. Aluminum utility boats with homemade livewells is all we ever fished out of.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Choppers

the prop you would be looking for is a 14X22 which is commonly known as a small ear. The only other prop I would use was the sst rx which was a 23 but needs to be severely reworked, the 24 raker will most likely be too stiff, remember you have a taller gear ratio than the later engines which will throw you off.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Try this.

Try to find a 14x22 YAMAHA DRAG. (or a Ron Hill copy) great prop for lift, made a hell of a differance on my HydroStream but I was stupid and didn't buy it used when I had the chance so now I'm waiting to find a used one. My boat with my Raker even though it has quite a bit of rake still uses alot of trim because of weight distrabution. The YD worked perfect. But, new they are $600 bucks and thats WAY to much to spend to try one and it not work. I was lucky some of my buddies race trihulls and let me try for free. Don't we all wish props could be rented or something?
    THIBODAUX RACING... Timmy Thibodaux

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So if I come across a Yamaha drag prop that is 14x22, is that the same as a "Small Ear" 14x22?

This is a pic I found of a Yamaha Drag prop (Not for sale) with the same dimensions:

This is a "big ear" ? x22 prop I saw on Ebay:

Bill, do you happen to have any literature that would have a Part# for the prop you are describing? That may be the most foolproof route for me to take.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big ear.

That big ear looks like to much for a V4. May be for V6 Merc.(merc hub anyway) I haven't had much luck on a V4 with the couple of big ear props I tried RPM was low and holeshot real bad. Also keep in mind 14 diameter is all a V4 can run. Just tryin to help.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I was just trying to get an idea if thats the type of hub and general shape.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thats close

Thats a chopper like you need but be real careful not to get one for a V6 merc because they are a dime a dozen. That motor won't turn anything more than a 14X24 maybe 26 but not likely. Also, you don't need more than a 4in setback plate. Anything more than that will change the angle of attack to much and cause a bad porpios.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont worry, I will scour the earth for the proper propeller.

Bill Gohr, you should consider writing a book. I'd buy it.

Post Thanks / Like

My 140 had no problems turning a 28. 5800 out of the box, with a vented hood, 6200. Seemed just perfect to me.

Thread Information