Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Need the facts (From the OMC xperts)

Post Thanks / Like

Ralph was a great guy even though he worked for the other team. He ended up buying the 155XS I took off my Switzer. I remeber lots of stories about Ralph through my dad and Charlie Rullman. Seems he used to use hundreds of carb floats until he found 6 that displaced equal amounts of fuel. He did Charlies J motor on his Hustler tunnel and Charlie won or placed very high in the nationals that year...Has Ralph passed on or is he still with us? He could tell some interesting tales on this forum if he is still here.

Post Thanks / Like

Ralph's problem is he can't type, I talk to him once a week, he's all good been trying to get him to close that joint up and go travel, that's all he talks about

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gohr View Post
    No, never a bassboat, many 15 Allys though, have one right now that is getting, guesswhat, a modded V4 crossflow.

When you were talking about filler blocks I thought you meant exhaust. Yes, the intake fillers are good to have, we stopped using them only because they were not alcohol resistant parts and there were reports of them falling apart from certain fuels. The 392000 part number you listed are exhaust parts.
    BIll Gohr: If I had one to go off of, I could make a copy out of epoxy. Lets see some pictures of that Ally & project V4! And what year was that BWB article that you were talking about?

And Thibodeaux, I dont kneaux what you're talking about, breaux... You & me are running different motors, aint we?
    I'd like to see some pictures of that roll-cage you use in the tri-hull racing.

Post Thanks / Like

Default go back and read...

I don't have a tri hull. If you read back it says some friends of mine let me try some props. Thought I could help you with boat setup since I currently run a V4 powered sport boat but sounds like you've got it all figured out. By the way, no E in Thibodaux.
    THIBODAUX RACING... Timmy Thibodaux

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe you can't find any of those intake fillers laying around, take some more motors apart you'll find them.

That article had to be 97' 98', I had one here I don't know where I would find it.

The Ally is derigged right now, cleaned it up and ran the buffer over it, it's mint, all original, the center section is off being cut down and the gearcase is down at JC's getting a nosecone, as soon as I get that stuff back I'll get it together and get the center section and gearcase on it and start rigging it. That will be fun, can't remember the last time I had a boat you could rig in one day. The powerhead is in pieces right now, making a flywheel for it.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=[I]Bill Gohr;29648]I can't believe you can't find any of those intake fillers laying around, take some more motors apart you'll find them[/I].

Yeah, I picked some up today. But I dont keep motor parts laying around in the backyard, man

...the center section is off being cut down and the gearcase is down at JC's getting a nosecone,

Im thinking the best nosecone for this fat '76 135 gearcase is the one that Hydromotive makes for the V6 OMC. This gearcase is the same identical one used in the Stern-Drive V6's for several years (Up til the 80s I think), part for part.

For the record, just because Im trying to squeeze as much info as I can out of Bill about various modifications doesnt mean that Im going to jump in and do all of them. I plan on doing Reeds, Intake Fillers, and Nosecone/LWP to start with. I also value Bill's propeller reccomendation, as the '76 gearcase is a different animal than the other V4's. Also, carrying on a conversation via PM would not benefit anyone else that might want to come along down the road looking for the same information that I am seeking, and I know there's probably others with old V4's following this thread and not saying anything.

P.S. I found a virtual treasure-trove of a parts source about 45 mins. away from where I live. Like I was stepping back in time, no kidding. Who needs '73 heads? More details later, gotta eat!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up 73 heads...

I need 73 heads. Part #'s 317849/317848. What ya want for em?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Intake fillers.

The intake fillers are only going to make a little more crankcase pressure. The reeds will give you a few more revs but most of all save the motor if one brakes because it'll just spit it out the exhaust. You need to run a leak down on it first to get an idea if it's even worth spending any money or just find one a couple years newer that has the new trim (inside the clamp brackets) and the better gearcase.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, what's a fair price for the '76 135 heads, new? The guy I met today has so much crap, he doesnt even know what he has. I got those filler blocks, every kind of gasket I probably will ever need, went to the attic and picked out a new looking 1975-ish cowl. (He probably has at least one of every size for every year OMC made motors)
    I asked him about those Pollari heads, he asked me how many I wanted. I asked him how many he had, he said "How many you want" I told him Id get back to him.

He said he was pretty sure he had a few new, and knew he had a lot of scrapped 73 motors on shelves that could be scavenged. I had already run the guy breathless getting my stuff that I told him Id come back again when I had more time. Real nice guy.

You go to pretty much any new boat place around here, and they almost laugh at you when you ask for a part, gasket, etc for something thats over about 5 yrs old. They cater to the rich. This place was out in the sticks, I saw about 3000sq ft floor to ceiling of old OMC parts in dusty old boxes. Plus a huge amt of powerheads, lower units, intakes, everything. Like an OMC museum. I told him he could sell a ton of this stuff on Ebay, he said it's too much hassle....

I will go there again this week, & get him to dig for some new 73 heads, and get an idea how many he's got new vs used. The only thing that wouldve made it a perfect day, wouldve been a room full of 2nd-Effort stuff, but he acted kind of funny when I asked him about having any of that.

Post Thanks / Like

Does he have any 15 parts? Particularly gear case, powerheads, etc??????

Thread Information