Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Need the facts (From the OMC xperts)

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Chopper

Ok Bill, I have a 14x22 Chopper now, but have to get it rehubbed. It looks like the little 'spikes' on the backside need to get ground down. Any specific instructions I should give to the prop man? (If you know any prop. guys near Atlanta, Im about 1 hr from E. Atlanta)

And what do you think of those srx props that I was talking about (388884 srx) 13 3/4x23. I've seen people refer to these as an "omc chopper", I think it's called a "silver streak". Would I be able to spin this?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Little spikes.

Sounds like you got yourself a Merc chopper. Better recheck the diameter.
    THIBODAUX RACING... Timmy Thibodaux

Post Thanks / Like

Default Merc chopper

A Merc Chopper from the 1977-84 era will fit the new design V-4 (streamlined) gearcase, I had one and yes it's close but will work. I'm not sure about the blunt nosed 135 case diameter. I second checking the diameter before you shave off the nubs.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Had a chance to buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by Skoontz View Post
    A Merc Chopper from the 1977-84 era will fit the new design V-4 (streamlined) gearcase, I had one and yes it's close but will work. I'm not sure about the blunt nosed 135 case diameter. I second checking the diameter before you shave off the nubs.
    I didn't buy it because I didn't think I could turn it. The merc chopper has way more blade area than the standard V4 style chopper.(14x22 yamaha drag). I guess if you got the money to spend go for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, the method to the madness! yer right, that thing looked like a Basset Hound ear welded to a hub!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Whats wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Skoontz View Post
    Ah, the method to the madness! yer right, that thing looked like a Basset Hound ear welded to a hub!
    Skoontz, are you ok? That almost sounded like you agreed with me for a change.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It fits on there, but the hub is too big. Bill told me to get a 14x22 chopper and have it rehubbed to fit my propshaft. My propshaft has 13 splines. This chopper has 15 splines and has a slightly larger diameter hub.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Salsman View Post
    It fits on there, but the hub is too big. Bill told me to get a 14x22 chopper and have it rehubbed to fit my propshaft. My propshaft has 13 splines. This chopper has 15 splines and has a slightly larger diameter hub.
    Merc made some choppers that ran real well on the old inline 6 that would probably work ok but the couple I've seen didn't have the "spikes" on em like the V6 chopper.(witch is more comon and easy to find) Give it a try, hubs are only $60 bucks.

Post Thanks / Like

TTibodaux:

I agree with whatever works best in every situation! And I'm by no means PC...LOL

Most all of the early Merc Choppers had 3 large nubs that typically would sit just under the edge of the exhaust opening on the gearcase. They claimed they were an anti weed device but who the hell would run a $300-400.00 prop in so shallow water there would be weeds? That's stainless abuse!

The first thing Don Hendrich would do when he tweeked the props for us was grind those nubs off and give special washers he machined for the prop to fit in the right spot.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I need to know what hardware I will need. That parts guy I was talking about had 2 used SRX's, 13 3/4x23 both with the paint still intact, but one had some very tiny nicks and scratches but no dents or dings. I was thinking about getting one to try, and putting it on Ebay if it didnt work. What's a fair price to offer?

Thread Information