Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Need the facts (From the OMC xperts)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Props.

I know this has already been said but we have gotten away from the facts here. You want to get the boat running perfect and get all out of it you can. In saying that, first you need to get the boat running. Before you can get maximum performance you need to get a base set up. First be conservative, Set the center of the propshaft 2in below the pad (running surface) and find you about a 22 raker and get the motor running smooth with stock parts. Once you do that you have an idea what you have to work with. Once you have an idea what it will do(or what it needs to do) then you can make better performance adjustments and save MONEY at the same time. Man I'm just tryin to help out but how do you know what will or will not work if you don't even know what you have from the start? Why buy up all the props and parts if you don't even need them? Ron Hill had a couple of V4 rakers on his ebay store last week you could have bought for $100 bucks. Again, do what you want but keep in mind you could spend a ton of money rite now and you have nothing to compare the results to.
    THIBODAUX RACING... Timmy Thibodaux

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, man, I havent deviated from my plan. I have a regular prop. I started up on some cosmetic stuff on the boat that needs to get done before I can start rigging it, otherwise I will be duplicating tasks. I met this guy named Fred on another boating forum that lives in the next town over who is a semi-retired OMC master tech. He's helped fine tune everything (sync & link, timing, etc, helped me put in fiber reeds) as long as I bring some Budweiser longnecks when I come by. He even said the thing is mint. Another day or 2 of good weather like weve been having and Im ready to go. My hands are sore from sanding.

Im trying to get Fred to check these forums out, he used to race Hydrostreams up north, but stopped after an accident of some sort. I figured if he wanted to elaborate more on the details, he would've. Anyway, he's now a hardcore bass fisherman and goes by the book...No "hop ups".
    The other day though, when he was (barking orders at me) helping me put in the reeds, I showed him the nosecone and chopper prop, and could see his eyes light up a little bit....He smiled and said "Gotta love a crossflow...Ask that Bill Gohr what we need to do with this exhaust" I could tell he was thinking about the 'good old days'. I had to remind him that this was still going to be a fishing boat, that we're not gonna be doing any drag racing...

And thibodaux, I think if I got that SRX for cheap, I could easily sell it if it didnt work out. Same for the chopper.

Hell, I dont have but $2600 in this whole project so far. Lot of time and elbow grease though..

Post Thanks / Like

Chopper, cut the weed cutters off, a little leading edge roll, re hub it, call it done, those Silver Streaks were OK after ALOT of work, they didn't work at all out of the box, later we changed that prop, when they turned black, rather than silver they would work out of the box, but only needed a little help. If someone is selling you a silver prop, it needs to be cheap. I believe I still have some of the original thrust hubs for those props, it looks like a blowout ring added to a stock V4 hub. Try the Chopper. As far as the exhaust goes, you can pull the tuner out and cut it off 7" from the bottom of the adaptor plate, it will lose a little off the bottom but will run much better on top. An over the hub prop will slip it past the low end.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Good luck.

Get your little tourch out cause those old 73 model bolts ain't commin out easy.
    THIBODAUX RACING... Timmy Thibodaux

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi y'all. I got sidetracked with a few things, but Im going to start rigging the boat this weekend. The last thing Im going to need to think about is steering. Im considering a dual cable nfb rack. I dont want to spend the money on a hydraulic steering setup.

What I need help with, is finding out what the hell I need to hook up a 2 cable steering system to my motor. I guess I need another tube, and steering arm.

And Bill: What additional hardware will I need to run my Chopper, if any? Its still with the prop people.

Here is my midesction:

Part numbers would be helpful.

I also need to find out what I need to do to the carbs when running fiber reeds, as far as orifices go.

Thanks.

Tomtall

Thumbs up Sterring tube

Charles - Here is a link to the place that has what you need.

http://www.trmarine.com/cat.html

There is also one listed for sale on e-bay at

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-D...QQcmdZViewItem

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. On their site, everything for OMC says 1977 or newer? I will call them Monday.

Post Thanks / Like

Dual cable steering hey, first you need to find a 1976 or 77 dealer accessory guide, get the part number for the kit, and give it to me, I'm sure one of 2 people around here have it. Looking for a needle in a haystack, I have 2 old dealers here that should have it, believe it or not. If not, I think, I've never tried it, don't have motor here to test it on, but I think we could slightly modify a 78' and up kit and it would fit. That I have

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

On the BRP website, listed in Steering Accessories for 1976, the only 'dual cable' kit was for the 200 v6:

20 DEGREE BEZEL KIT-FRICTION ADJUSTING 35 THRU 200 HP
    20 DEGREE BEZEL KIT-ROTAMATIC II 35 THRU 200 HP
    90 DEGREE BEZEL KIT-FRICTION ADJUSTING 35 THRU 200 HP
    90 DEGREE BEZEL KIT-ROTAMATIC II 35 THRU 200 HP
    OVER-UNDER ADAPTER KIT
    PULLEY & ANCHOR KIT
    REMOTE CONTROL AND STEERING CONNECTOR KITS 40 H.P.
    REMOTE STEER KITS 40 H.P. PUSH PULL ROTOMATIC 1
    REMOTE STEER KITS 40 H.P. PUSH PULL ROTOMATIC 1 TWIN MOTOR
    ROTAMATIC I DRIVE & CABLE
    ROTAMATIC II STEERING HEAD 35 HP THRU 200 HP
    ROTARY HELM
    STEERING BOLT AND CLEVIS ASSY. KIT 35 - 200 EXCEPT 40 H.P.
    STEERING CONN. KITS 25 & 40 H.P. CABLE PULLEY ONLY
    STEERING CONN. KITS-CABLE PULLEY 35 H.P.
    STEERING CONN. TIE BARS-MECHANICAL 35-200 H.P. SNGL ENGINE
    STEERING CONN. TIE BARS-MECHANICAL DUAL CABLE 200 H.P.
    STEERING CONN. TIE BARS-MECHANICAL. 55-135 H.P. DUAL ENGINE
    STEERING CONNECTOR KIT-ROTAMATIC II 35 & 55 H.P.
    STEERING CONNECTOR KIT-ROTAMATIC II 70 - 200 H.P.
    STEERING CONNECTOR KITS 75 H.P. SHORT SHAFT
    STEERING CONNECTOR KITS-ROPE 6 - 15 HP P/N 377440
    STEERING CONNECTOR KITS-ROPE 6 - 15 HP P/N 384540
    STEERING KIT-MECHANICAL
    STEERING KIT-ROPE
    STEERING WHEEL-ROTAMATIC II
    TRANSOM BRACKET KIT ROTOMATIC I & II 35 - 200 H.P.

Post Thanks / Like

Nope needs to be for the 76 v4 so go look in the 75

Thread Information