Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Need the facts (From the OMC xperts)

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

John Tiger responded over at S&F to my question,

You will have to fabricate a dual steering connector. The clamp brackets and swivel bracket assembly changed from 76 to 77, and OMC did not make dual steering adapters for pre-77 engines...neither did T & R or anyone else. I've done this in the past, it requires using some of the parts from the 77-later T & R or OMC kits, and machining some thrust washers to make them fit.

JT

So.... Mr. Gohr....looks like we need to talk. Can you PM me your phone # so I can call you about this?

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Tiger is incorrect, we did make it, now I'll have to go find an old acc. catalog, as well T&R made one that had 2 aluminum brackets thatclamped together with a bolt to hold it to the stock tube, the 78 piece can be made to work by either cutting those 2 webs off in the front or, narrowing the tube bracket in the 78 kit, which I have, I just don't have an old center section here to check it on.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess there are a lot of ways to accomplish this. Ive seen posts where people have described adapting mercury hydraulic steering units, and one person said to take the swivel parts off of a newer unit and swap them out, get a kit for that, and abandon the old tube.

It'd be easy if I had access to a variety of parts & pieces to make something work, but I dont.

The bracket you are describing sounds like the one on Ebay that Tomtall posted a link to.

And Bill, you said you were putting a boat together with an old V4..... Hows that coming along?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

1) Boyesen Reeds, rejet? I have a foot throttle.

2) I think I need to remove some metal from my trim tab. I will post a picture tomorrow.....

Thank You Guys for all the help, seriously.

Post Thanks / Like

no need to rejet as the instructions say unless it sneezes at idle, and yes you may have to modify the trim tab.

My project is going along slowly for the moment, stalled waiting for parts being modified, the center section isn't back yet, the block is being machined, the decals have been duplicated and will be printed maybe today, the gearcase isn't back from getting a nosejob.............I have everything else here and waiting, steering is in the boat, rigging, oopps, forgot to order a seat, I need to do that right now,

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I got a Bobs nosecone/lwp kit a couple months ago, has been in the package since.

My plan was to get the fit just right, and take it down to a guy here that does great aluminum welding to tack it on. Then do my fairing with epoxy.

Problem is, the Bobs is too tall. Id have to whack the top of it off, and do some serious fabricating.

Im going to call Hydromotive about their unit and try and sell this Bob's kit.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Doh!

Hydromotive quit making everything except the universal kit because of low demand. This is depressing.

The lady on the phone was extremely nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I have the V-4 article

Can try and scan if you guys want it.

Haven't done real well getting print to scan clearly in past though.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Use a very high resolution on the actual scan ... 300 dpi or higher. If the software has "descreening" make sure it is turned off for scanning text. Descreening is good for scanning dot matrix type images at resolutions that normally cause "interference" patterns in the scan, but it makes text and line drawings fuzzy or jumbly.

If you successfully scan at a high dpi and have trouble getting it back small, send the large image to me and I can probably fix it.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Nosecone & LWP on this beast

Ok, Im still figuring out what to do with this lower unit.
    (Which was the initial concern when I made the decision to "commit" any time/effort/money on this motor.

So far all Ive done is the Reeds, filler blocks, carb kit, lower unit seal kit, impeller, vernatherm (tstat). Ive got the '73 135 heads & head gaskets but Im not messing with that for now. I spent $225 for a Chopper prop, and had it rehubbed and cleaned up, which I have to say, the man did a remarkable job.

My steering (rotary dual cable) should be here tomorrow, and I bought that L&S steering kit that Tomtall pointed me to on Ebay for $18. It has a tube, an arm, and a bracket. I should be able to cobble something up with all that.

In an ideal world, I'd send it off to someone to put on a nosecone & lwp, but I feel like I can do it myself. (I know someone locally who is very talented with TIG, MIG welding) Ive got the Bob's kit. I want to find out the most efficient way to make this work, with the minimal amount of surgery to the L/U and to the "Bobs".

I forgot to take a picture with the "Bobs" next to my gearcase. I will go out and do that now. Then Ive got questions...

Thread Information