Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Pro GT: I'm "OFF" Again...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pro GT: I'm "OFF" Again...

Hey everyone, sounds like this MAYBE the class that will "SAVE the World"...

Stay tuned...

I will be re-rigging my Dillon Mini Vee project boat for GT Pro. First step will be to replace the carb and intake with parts from a 30 or 35 hp motor -- or better yet, replace it with a 35 hp motor. Second, install hydraulic trim. And finally, have a stainless steel propeller thinned and cupped by a racing propeller professional. More prop refinements will likely follow as testing and racing proceed.
    My own Dillon Mini tunnel boat is for sale to any current or future TCPBA member. This boat dominated Mini GT in 2006, and will make an excellent GT Pro racer. More on that HERE.
    GT PRO RULES
    1. Boats may be any design, production or custom built, 10'+ in length, 48"+ wide.
    2. Driverís seat must not exceed 36" aft of midships.
    3. Engines must be stock production and mass marketed 35 (max.) hp. (32cu. in. max.).
    4. Power trim is allowed, engines may be modified to accept custom trim ram.
    5. Thrust jacks and upper mount snubbers are allowed. Re.: Improves stability.
    6. Engine Modifications:
    A. Tilt switches and rev limiters may be rendered inoperative.
    B. Two 1" diameter holes that can be readily plugged (for testing) may be drilled in the lower unit above the cavitation plate.
    C. Cosmetic appearance may be changed. Re. : Many motors have already been painted other colors by previous owners.

7. Minimum weight of complete rig with driver is 650 lbs.
    8. Drivers must be at least 16 years of age.
    9. Any propeller is acceptable.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ron

Does this mean your heading thru ND! IF you are let me know and maybe we can have Breakfast somewhere? If you did buy this boat, I am in the cities at least twice a week and could drag it back to Fargo knock off 240 miles of your trip if you needed!

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not Really...

Don't plan to "Hit the Road" again until Easter Vacation, then plan to fly.

By saying "I'M OFF"...I really like this class's concept...There must be 2 million motors in this country that would be legal. Even if you had to rebuild them from the ground up, I can't see where you'd have over $2,000 in a motor...But I'm thinking you could find a good running motor for $400-$500, build a little boat in your garage...pick up a cheap prop on E-Bay and you are off "RACING" for $1,000 and if you didn't want to race...it would be a fun lake runner...

It is a sit down boat. Electric starter....Cool looking...

Thanks for the offer on picking up that boat....I need to sell a 45 or two....but then, I'll build some PRO GT's..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Chairman Answers

Ron Hill, re: GT Pro
    Ron,

You would be looking for the 35 hp, 2 cylinder OMC. Next best is the 30, or to upgrade a 20 or 25hp with the larger intake and carb. But the 35 has different port timing (I'm told) which would give it a little more punch.

I believe technically any advertised 35hp motor, 32 cubes max., is legal for the class, but it was designed with the OMC and Merc in mind. I'll try to get Howard P. in on this discussion, he's the mad scientist behind all this.

I ran both 10x15 and 10x17 props in Mini GT. The 17 is slightly faster, but sluggish -- if the course was long enough it worked out ok. So I believe the 10x17 would be the one for GT Pro. With a bit more hp and the engine jacked up a bit higher I think rpm would range about the mid-6000s. OMC does not make a 10x17 anymore as near as I can tell. These are 14 spline props, so there's nothing else out there that fits.

I've got just the prop for you, "in any condition." Give me an address, and I'd be happy to send it to you. bdwc@uslink.net.

As to boats: 10' min. length, 4' min. beam, tunnel or V -- or actually any type at all, I guess, much like Sport C but without any prohibition against hydros. I don't think anyone is afraid of a 650 lb. hydro with a 35hp fishing motor. I kinda wish the weight had been left at 600, but the ideas WAS to accomodate the heavier guys (and gals).

My Dillon Mini (10' 8" x 71") has a 4" tunnel all the way. Next time I'll make it about 6" deeper up front, although this boat worked out well for Mini GT and should work just as well for GT Pro. The tunnel is 36" wide, the pads 14".

I don't know the details about exhaust relief holes. And nothing has been said about nosecones and water pickups, so I'm guessing these are not allowed. Solid mounts are allowed -- in Mini GT as well although I don't know anyone uses them.

To MN1: Mini GT is currently open to both 'glass and wood boats, but that will change to production molded boats only in 2008. This was always an uwritten rule until I came along. GT Pro is partly an attempt to give guys like me a place to go with our homebuilt/home-designed boats. And also a step up for "experienced" Mini GT drivers. There is also talk of age-limiting Mini GT at 17 years, although I don't know if that is going to happen. I hope not. It's still a good place for adults to get a first taste of racing, and I think they will quickly upgrade to GT Pro after they've been around awhile.

Minimum age for GT Pro, by the way, is 16 years old.

Thanks, this class will work!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wrong Motor for PRo GT???

This isn't a thru hub motor, so I think it isn't the right one...Free....what could I expect...???

Oh, wrong pictures...Is a Mark 25 legal? Only 20 Cubic Inches... Too small isn't it?? A Mark 30 would be legal...

32 cubes max, right??? So, a 402 is not legal...???
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Thread Information