Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Exclusive Photos of Christner 2 - 4 Cycle Experimental Engine

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Exclusive Photos of Christner 2 - 4 Cycle Experimental Engine

You are seeing for the very 1st time, exclusive pictures of the experimental 2 - 4 cycle Christner engine. This engine was engineered and developed by O. F. and Paul Christner, based on the last patent filed by my father (and brother David). I was heavily involved with this project from the very first pencil drawings all the way to this first phase, prototype engine as seen in the pictures.

The concept behind this engine is my father's dream of having the simplicity of a 2 cycle motor integrated with the durability and fuel efficiency of a 4 cycle motor that doesn't need oil mixed with the gas to operate. This working prototype is that dream realized.

I will ask Sam to pull up the patent on this engine concept and post it so you can better understand the inner workings of this engine design. It is US Patent # 5,769,040.

My father and I thought the best application for this engine would be in a hybrid type car or other transportation vehicle, something like the Toyota Prius. In other words, having a highly efficient and simplistic designed engine for the purpose of generating power to an electric vehicle while achieving extremely low emissions, cost, service, etc. This engine is unique it that it can run on various fuels, including gasoline, diesel and even alcohol. We also believe it can run on hydrogen.

We have a lot of very talented and educated people that frequent the BRF web site, and I felt that some of you would appreciate the design concept.

thanks,

Paul A Christner

Note: The pictures are for your enjoyment and are not to be copied or posted to any other web site without my written permission.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Very, VERY impressive! I was talking to David Christner about this engine and if I heard him right (I may have missunderstood so this is not a quote) This engine can burn diesel, gasoline and alcohol with very minor changes? This is a very exciting concept! I wonder how this engine will work as a hydroplane engine?

Just a thought.

Don Muncie

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Paul

An amazing era it was during Quincy Loopers... I still am in awe of all the things that came out of that shop. I never got to meet your father, my father knew your father, but if you ever get to a Mod or Pro race I would sure like to shake your hand.

I got to meet Gene East last year, and still love that memory of his telling a couple tales in our pits at the NBRA Short Course Nat's.

I read all the stuff on Quincy loopers, and some day hope to own a true Quincy looper and maybe even race it in 1100CCR.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wow!

Very cool idea.....What Motorcycle engine did you start with ?..Looks like the the shifter is still there...How many gears does it have?
    Jeff 93-C

Post Thanks / Like

Default Allow me Paul...........

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Jeff. That simplifies the process quite a bit. Its a pretty big job to resize those TIFF formatted REGUSPATOFF images.

As I looked at the pictures and checked out the reference patents, it almost made me dizzy when I realized what O.F. had done.

After everyone has had a few days to look over the images, I'll see if I can do justice with a text explanation of what is really going on. Seems to me as often as not, the text in the patents is intended to confuse rivals as much as to really explain what the device is. This is probably a function of a "Patent Attorney" vs a normal human.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That engine is a real mind twister! As I understand, it can be ran with or without a reedcage? I can't see much gain on the top of the RPM scale, but using reeds should enhance the idle a bit better. Is this engine modular? (Based on how the "Z" engines were) The drawings kinda makes it look that way. I didn't see the piston, if I did, it might help me make more sense outa what I'm seeing.

All in all, this is a fabulous piece of engineering! Just a personal note, wouldn't this make a fun hydro engine? As a 350cc (20ci) I was wondering how hard it would be to stack two up and make a D class engine out of it, of maybe even three stacked and make an FE. From what I'm seeing in the drawings, I wonder if the bore could be brought down to make a 250cc out of it and the A and C engines could come from it.

Forgive me for thinking outloud, I does that allot!

Thread Information