Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Sid Craft Runabouts

Cool Sid Craft Runabouts

I was asked to help post the following Sid Craft restoration pictures for one of our BRF members. Upon looking in under "search for" I noticed that we have no specific thread purtaining to these craft from the past. So here it is. If you have any pic's of your old Sid Craft Runabouts feel free to share them with us here. If you have any pic's of Sid Craft Hydro's there is a thread for those at http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ighlight=craft

The Following restored Sid Crafts belone to Ronald Lietha (BRF's buff5) from upper Wis. His first Sid pictured was raced at the Winnebago marithon and finished 3rd in "B" class. Some before and after pic's. The second set of pic's are of his restored Sid Bathtub runabout. Thanks for sharing Ron. Feel free to chime in with any more history on these cool boats.
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    TOM L.

Default Lake Geneva Wisconsin

Lake Geneva Regatta, August 1957, my dad driving. I believe he ran 2nd in that race

Default 66p

Reds Yost, Pottstown. PA.

I think he held the BSR Kilo record in the 50's. Sold him a KG9 D Motor.
    Last edited by Ted March; 02-16-2007 at 12:23 AM.

Default 54 Sid DSR

Taken 1955 at Laurel Lake, NJ

Default How abaout this?

Things sure have changed!!!

Default 1956 sid Hornet-1953 Sid Bathtub

Tomtall has posted the pics of my boats & has asked me to add some history. The young man, on the right carrying B227W, Hy-Ten-Shun down to the water at the 1960 Winnebagoland Marathon is Dick Engler. The other man is Jerry Wallin, (Owner of the boat). This was the last Marathon held there & was shortened to 88 miles. Dick ran a 6nhr 'B" Champion Hot-Rod & came in 3rd place, 2 minutes behind the winner Bob Herring & 1 minute behind 2nd place Jerry Waldman. They both were running Sid Hornets as well but with Mercury MK20H Conversions. They both went on to be World Champions & Dick was never far behind them. Dick told me some years ago that he would have won that race but as he slept by his boat the nite before, (custom at the time-to prevent foolishness & to PARTY!), he had such a "hangover" the next morning his head was pounding!. Now anyone that could run 88 miles in rough water, in a "B" boat & come in that close to two of the premier boat drivers of the time was no slacker. Also speaks well of a Hot-Rod to keep that close to the 20H Conversion motors. Dick, was tragically killed running a race at Dayton, Ohio on August 24th, 1997 at age 56, he was the Chairman of the Modified Outboard Division in the APBA.The picture of me running at the AOMCI National Meet at Tomahawk, (Probably around 1996), was taken just as I was accelerating out of a corner, thus "Nose up" as the boat laid down very nicely in the straightway.I restored that Hornet to as close as possible to how it was when Dick drove it, down to running a 6nhr Hot-Rod.

On Ralph 'Red" Yosts boat #66, ( Joltin Janie-His wifes name), that boat disappeared for about 14 years & I found it at Harrisburg, Pa. & drove out from Wisconsin to get it. As Red was still alive, I called him & asked him his opinion of the boat, as he drove many boats in his career & he was a Champion caliber driver. As I knew he later ran a Sid Hornet I asked him to compare them, he said the Bathtub was faster. I agree, after restoring & running both boats I do like the bathtub better, in all respects. Both boats have a very historical background & were a joy to restore & drive, back on the water, where they & I BELONG!!!!

Smile Sid Craft History in WI.

The "B227 W was originally owned by a guy I raced againest in mid 50's in Wisconsin named Roger. I can't remember his last name. I was racing a Champion kit boat 65 W, with a 20-H and was faster than the Hornet. I stuck with it with the 20 H even tho the Champions were coming on strong, Vern Kargus,Bob Grunska, Jack Schmitzer,Wild Bill Kruse, Dick Van dePlasch, Billy Otto, ect. I could sometimes beat them to the first turn at about 49-50 mph but they could out accelerate me with their gears. The conversion kit came out and I borrowed Dick Englers Broas Craft, 112-W he bought from Dick Wikeland for AU, a Bathtub copy, and was able to win straight heats in first race with it, Neosha WI in June 1959, beating Charlie Erdman in a Sid Hornet, 19 W, who took 2d and all the Hot Rods behind us. Dick starting racing his Hot Rod on it the next year with some sucess but as the Speeds went up, the Bathtub was a handfull to keep on the water, and Charlie sold the Hornet to Jerry Wienandt with a 20 H converted. He, with his greater weight and better handling boat had good sucess againest Dick when ever the water got rough. Dick evidently, seeing this, borrowed the Hornet to race the Marathon.Yes, Jerry got his start in a runabout and always had a soft spot in his heart for the Hornets. In Fact, I just built him a replica D Sid Hornet which he is going to fool around with in D classic. They are classic boats with great lines, much sleeker than the Bathtub!!! Jon Walters

Default Sid Craft Hornet

Thanks Jon, seems opening this thread was a good idea of Tomtall's, as some nice pics of boats are coming out & stories. I appreciate your history as well. I agree that the Hornet is a sleeker looking boat than the Bathtub, but that said, I like to drive the Bathtub better. My hornet had a few quirks I did not like. As it is a foot longer than the Bathtub I could not snap the nose around as fast (my type of driving, non-competition), also it rode harder in rough water & had a tendency to go "nose up" when running into about a 15mph headwind after about the 4th wave when 'airing Out". As I set right down on the bottom of the boat when I run (bad knee), it gets a little uncomfortable when the boat trys to go "Nose up"!. The Bathtub did not exhibit any of these tendencies & was great in all respects except changing from running on the 45 degree chine to the flat bottom in a hard corner unless you really kept the pressure on the throttle to keep it up on the 45. Again, not much of a problem on your knee's, but sitting down it is a bit different!! LOL, all lots of fun tho.

Jerry Wienandt

Default Sid Craft Hornet

Jon's right; I do have a soft spot for Sid Utilities, except its in my head. Back in the day, I liked 'em so much, I had two... the first, a BU Hornet, I bought from Charlie Erdman. That replaced my homebuilt Airborne. Beat Dick's bathtub the first time I drove it at Fond du Lac, 1961, on the lakefront, and beat him regularly with it thereafter. Before that he was always ahead of me.

As a guy too big for BU, I could run it into the wind, over the rough stuff and turn it on a dime. Bob Grunska also had one, a BU Hornet powered by a HotRod. That turned even better, with that light motor. He replaced the bottom and fine tuned it. I later bought that one and it was faster than my original. Bob helped me a lot when I was a newbie. I'll forever be in his debt for what he taught me.

The one problem I saw with the Hornets in B was that small (read: normal size) drivers had trouble getting 'em to stay up on the chine. Jack Schmitzer tried one (he normally ran a Broas Bathtub copy) and it dropped, high sided him and broke his leg. Big guys like Bob and I had no problem... put it on the chine, give it throttle and carve it as tight as you want to go... great on some of our really narrow courses like Waukesha and Fremont.

Wayne Holmes had a DU Hornet. I helped him test and get it running with a Mk55H-1 for the Marathon, and it was really running good. He got caught out at the start and swamped to avoid a collision and spent the whole race playing catch up after stopping to bail it out. Oh well... I got to drive some of his stuff, but regret to this day, I never got to drive that Hornet.

Denny Berghauer ran a DU Hornet with great success, but they sold that one, got a new one and I guess it just wasn't the same. But, he drove Sid hydros like an iron man!

I just didn't have the money to make the move up to D. I later sold the B stuff, as I needed money for school. It all worked out in the end. Its just that I came back with a D with training wheels, after I ran a Janz hydro. That's another story. How about a Janz thread. He was ahead of his time.

Thanks, Jon, for the beautiful boat. Its gonna be fun, beating myself up in a DU.

Jerry

Thumbs up Al Langs Hornet

Almost forgot I had a picture of Al's Sid Craft Hornet in my picture archive. BRF members know Al as "Ye Old Dessert Geezer". Maybe he'll chime in and give some background on this Sid.
    TOM L.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information