Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011

Thread: Sid Craft Runabouts

Post Thanks / Like

Default Revealing bottom revail

The term bottom reveal refers to the difference in height of the bottom sheet of plywood next to the chine sheet. We used 3/8" thick on the bottom and 1/4" on the chines, sides and deck. Where the bottom meets the chine there is 1/8" difference in thickness so the bottom is 1/8" above the chine. I believe the reference to 3/4 chine is that it is in two stages. Speedliner used that design for sometime and others followed. You could roll it up a little or harder by going to the secondary chine. The picture attached is of the last A/B Speedliner (Aeroliner) that Alan and I built.
    Name:  IMGP1192.jpg
Views: 1015
Size:  159.0 KB
    Old Race Boats Still Flip You Out

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, thanks Speedliner.
    As I get it, you did bottoms differently from what I learned doing some Hal Kelly boats, and fixing some busted hydros. When building these, which all had single-stage non-trip chines, usually at 45degrees to the bottom, you fitted, glued, and nailed the chines first. When the glue was set you belt-sanded the lower edge of that chine so that it was flush with the bottom stringers (Kelly called those "battens"). When you glued the bottom down, it overlapped that sanded edge of the chine. Therefore, in that case what you are calling "bottom reveal" would be the full thickness of the bottom sheet of plywood. As I read you, you had the chine and bottom sheets meet with a butt joint (welder term) or miter joint (woodworker term). Have I got that right?

Possibly the trickiest part of building a Hal Kelly hydro (and most hydros I saw were the same in this detail) was doing a precise job of joining the two panels of the sponsons, being the non-trip and the sponson bottom. At the back of the sponson, the bottom panel overlapped the non-trip (giving the strongest joint, and what you call "bottom reveal"), but about a foot forward the joint changed to a miter joint, with no "reveal."

There were still a few of the amateur-built Hal Kelly hydros showing up at the races from time to time in the mid-'60s, and you could quickly tell a lot about the owners' ability and interest in craftsmanship by looking at the way the sponsons were built.

In Reg. 10, the only A/B runabouts I recall with two-stage non-trips were DeSilvas with their 24" or 28" bottoms. I don't remember any Sid-Crafts that didn't have the wide bottom (34" or more) and single 45 degree non-trip, though I certainly didn't see everything. Price and Selvidge runabouts were single-chine, somewhat flatter than 45 degrees. We saw the occasional "back-East" boat out here; Dewey Anderson bought a Clark Maloof BU that looked to be pretty close to a Sid (albeit tiny changes can make a lot of difference in runabouts), Dale Powell had two beautiful C and DU Castagnetos, and there was one wooden round-chine Hedlund.

Every so often some newbie would show up with a well-used runabout from the early-'50s, and you could really see the evolutionary change that had occurred over ten years as runabout non-trips had gotten a whole lot bigger; the newer boats rode a lot looser, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1950's DU SID HORNET PLANS

[ATTENTION: All of you fans of a DU Hornet. You can now build your own with plans that I have lofted from scantlings, pictures and Sid catalogs. I also have full size frame patterns glued to cardboard, Deck beam and Knee ply patterns, and multiple construction photos, material lists, building hints and jig building plans. The photos are of a prototype built for Jerry Wienandt. I was going to build one for myself to race in DU Classic racing division but Health (Knee) prevents me from doing so I am selling my original plans. Jerry for same reason, (Foot), sold the prototype to a guy in Texas. I am also throwing in for free my set of Hal Kelley’s Airborne 11 and my drawing of expanding it to DU size. Many of the Airborne’s features were used by Sid Craft such as the I beam construction, Transom Knee Placement, and the boat bow profile. Hal also has several sketches which are very helpful in building a Hornet. My price for all of this is $150 plus freight for a very large box. I have over 200 man hours in this so price is not negotiable. If you pick up plans you will save the freight and I will throw in my Building jig for free. You will need a pickup truck, trailer, or a large SUV as the jig is 13’ long. I am about 4 hours from Jesup GA and a little further from Tabor City , SC.
    I also have some very good clear Sitka Spruce. It is rough 4/4 thickness, widths between 5” and 6”, and lengths between 93” and 13’ 0”, no shorts. That is approximately 68 board feet. My lumber company is currently selling for $10.60 per b/f. Make offer and must be picked up. I also have high quality “Lloyds” Okume ply, Two 4’x8’sheets and Two half sheets of 3mm which sells for $72.39 per sheet. Also one 4’x8’ sheet of 4mm which sells for $63.37 per sheet. Also one ¾ sheet of ¼” which sells for $95.10 per sheet. Make offer and must be picked up. I am hoping this will be bought by a racer who will race it in Classic DU class before I put it on E Bay .
    I also have a perfect 1959 Mark 55 H, a 44 H built by Jerry Wienandt, A fully restored 1978 Stippich DSR, and several “D” 2 and 3 blade props for sale. Send me a private message on any or all of these items so I can E mail you details and pix. Thanks, Jon K Walters, Greensboro GA 30642 I am having trouble in attaching pix and I will post when I figure out how
    B][/B]

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jon66w View Post
    [ATTENTION: All of you fans of a DU Hornet. You can now build your own with plans that I have lofted from scantlings, pictures and Sid catalogs. I also have full size frame patterns glued to cardboard, Deck beam and Knee ply patterns, and multiple construction photos, material lists, building hints and jig building plans. The photos are of a prototype built for Jerry Wienandt. I was going to build one for myself to race in DU Classic racing division but Health (Knee) prevents me from doing so I am selling my original plans. Jerry for same reason, (Foot), sold the prototype to a guy in Texas. I am also throwing in for free my set of Hal Kelley’s Airborne 11 and my drawing of expanding it to DU size. Many of the Airborne’s features were used by Sid Craft such as the I beam construction, Transom Knee Placement, and the boat bow profile. Hal also has several sketches which are very helpful in building a Hornet. My price for all of this is $150 plus freight for a very large box. I have over 200 man hours in this so price is not negotiable. If you pick up plans you will save the freight and I will throw in my Building jig for free. You will need a pickup truck, trailer, or a large SUV as the jig is 13’ long. I am about 4 hours from Jesup GA and a little further from Tabor City , SC.
    I also have some very good clear Sitka Spruce. It is rough 4/4 thickness, widths between 5” and 6”, and lengths between 93” and 13’ 0”, no shorts. That is approximately 68 board feet. My lumber company is currently selling for $10.60 per b/f. Make offer and must be picked up. I also have high quality “Lloyds” Okume ply, Two 4’x8’sheets and Two half sheets of 3mm which sells for $72.39 per sheet. Also one 4’x8’ sheet of 4mm which sells for $63.37 per sheet. Also one ¾ sheet of ¼” which sells for $95.10 per sheet. Make offer and must be picked up. I am hoping this will be bought by a racer who will race it in Classic DU class before I put it on E Bay .
    I also have a perfect 1959 Mark 55 H, a 44 H built by Jerry Wienandt, A fully restored 1978 Stippich DSR, and several “D” 2 and 3 blade props for sale. Send me a private message on any or all of these items so I can E mail you details and pix. Thanks, Jon K Walters, Greensboro GA 30642 I am having trouble in attaching pix and I will post when I figure out how
    B][/B]
    Sorry Jon,you got it backwards. Hal Kelly copied Sid's I beam stringer concept.

John

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hornet pix

Hope these come thru
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill, Hans69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Schubert T*A*R*T View Post
    Sorry Jon,you got it backwards. Hal Kelly copied Sid's I beam stringer concept.

John
    Well my good friend Carl Rolaff built an Airborne 11 in about 1954 and the Hornets came out in late 50's unless they had them in the 50's Bath tubs. Carl Stippich was also using the concept in the early 50's. It doesn't matter as its a good concept.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't reply to your quote as it doesn't leave spacing. Hal, my dad & I were personal friends as my mother & Hal's wife Ethel were. We all were from Region 3, northern NJ. Hal, my dad & I even drove to the 1954 SO nationals in Depere where I at 15 years old finished 4th in BSH. Anyway, all Hal's boats were basically copies of Sids. The 1st Horner was built in late 1955 after Sid & Johnny Werhle returned from the SO nationals in Devil's Lake, OR. It had a 18 degree transom. Johnny race it at Loch Haven. Sid determined the transom angle too steep for a B so made the B 15 degrees & the A 18. We bought that boat for my brother to use. He first tried it with a 20H & flipped every race blowing up the motor several times. Then he started using a KG4. Do I know about Sids & Kelly's, yes I do.

Post Thanks / Like

CAN'T BELIEVE ANY BOAT BUILDER WOULD NOT SNAP UP THIS SITKA AND PLY AT A BARGIN PRICE. COULD ARRANGE SHIPMENT TO JESUP OR TABOR CITY IF YOU PAY FOR MY GAS.

Post Thanks / Like

Awww, what a pretty boat!!!! Takes me back to my long-lost youth!!

How would a boat like that work today with a good C Mod or D Mod 44 on it? Surely it could be competitive in regional club racing. Or could you modify the bottom a bit, while leaving the sides and decks alone, to get a retro-styled but competitive runabout for the 60-75mph range? Krier must build a top-notch runabout, since all the USTS guys seem to run them, but they sure aren't as graceful to my eye as the boat in your photos or the old Sids, Clark-Crafts, and Castagnetos I remember. Someone explained to me some time back that Krier arrived at that deck conformation as a way to keep the bow down when cranking into a turn at high speeds. But maybe for a semi-heavy class that's not screaming fast, the deck shape in the photos would be okay. Anybody?

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, You're right the Hornets had a tendency to snap hook, I did modify the bottom to resemble my 1959 Stippich DSR Quack with a little more chine edge and also using the bottom relief Ralph suggested for my CSR. Both rode nice and level. I found out that using a transom fin on the port side of a flat turning runabout tended to keep the nose down. Maybe some one could take my plans and modify them to more like the Krier and build a dog house on the removable deck hatch. AS I mentioned I was going to race mine if I built it in classic DU with my Wienandt built 44 which would give quite a ride I would think close to 70!!

Thread Information