Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Check Out Our 380 Ray Laser

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    I don't know what our 380 Ray Laser weighed. Greg Foster said the bottom was good. I put a straigh edge on it, and the bottom was flat. With a 260 HP or S-3000 no one really wanted to drive it. I think keeping the speed to about 80 with two in the boat would make lots of sense.

The boat is a handful with these EFI motors, might handle better with cable steering, but we never had cable. The boat is currently in Greg Foster's garage in Havasu, looking for a HOME!

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...?t=4009&page=3 Still looks like this.
    No one asked me to drive it, I'm all about that boat, I had Joe Burgess' 380

Post Thanks / Like

Default Found this old pic

Thats Joes boat when I first got it
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

So Bill, What ever happened to that boat?

Post Thanks / Like

I sold that boat to pat eves in florida, he rope raced it for a while, and then I really don't know where it went, it was painted red white and blue last time i saw it. That one I wished I still had

Post Thanks / Like

Default There May Be A Havasu Classic in April 2014

We wouldn't need a co driver for the April Race, but I'm sure we'd have a seat open for the middle "RIDE" at the Enduro. At this time I'm not putting hydraulic steering in, so I'm sure CJ Baker would like some rest.

Post Thanks / Like

We wouldn't need a co driver for the April Race, but I'm sure we'd have a seat open for the middle "RIDE" at the Enduro. At this time I'm not putting hydraulic steering in, so I'm sure CJ Baker would like some rest.
    Reminds me. We probably crossed paths other than at Havasu in 1983. I spent a weekend with Fred Bowden and Frau. We went to a race somewhere, I nearly froze in bermuda shorts and no jacket. It was supposed to be June, I think. Afterward, party around the pool at the Eliminator owner's house. Benefit for a driver who'd ruined an arm in a race, a gambler. Al Stoker and I walked around the pool taking pledges. I learned from Chuck Skelton last Jan. that he was the cook and that the guy was his daughter's then-boyfriend. I guess you were there, and I hope I haven't told this before! Bowden asked me on the way to his house 'What's your angle?' and I didn't have the guts to say 'I want to drive for you in Tx.' I think the race was won by someone running an STV, and Bowden beat Al one heat. I sanded a lot of roughness off his gearcase and bottom beforehand. I enjoyed talking with Al's mother and dad.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Don't Recall the Race...

You mentioned a "COLD RACE". June in California???? Only place that is cold in California in June is San Diego, and I don't recall as SD race that year.

The party was for Kim Howard, who had lost an arm as a result of a collision on the first lap, and the Parker Enduro. Kim had always "PLAYED THE PONIES" but after his accident he played them full time. I guess, if you hit the county fairs and such, and listen and think, you can make money betting horses. Ted May used to win at the races, but he was dating a lady that worked for the "WIRE SERVICE" and he knew when the "FIX" was in. After "BOOTS" left that job, Ted quit "PLAYING" the horses.

The party was at Sandy Gilcrest's house in Orange Park Acres (A horse community in Orange County, California). I live about a mile from Sandy's old house, in NON horse land! Sandy was Bob Leach's partner at Eliminator, but he'd made his money in home mortgages. After he left Eliminator, he went back to the mortgage business and is still in that business in Newport Beach, CA.

Kim and I both had new Sleek Craft Boats for the Enduro. After Kim Howard's accident, my son, Chad, asked me to quit racing. I did. I've never regretted quitting.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 12-05-2013 at 08:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

You mentioned a "COLD RACE". June in California???? Only place that is cold in California in June is San Diego, and I don't recall as SD race that year.

The party was for Kim Howard, who had lost an arm as a result of a collision on the first lap, and the Parker Enduro. Kim had always "PLAYED THE PONIES" but after his accident he played them full time. I guess, if you hit the county fairs and such, and listen and think, you can make money betting horses. Ted May used to win at the races, but he was dating a lady that worked for the "WIRE SERVICE" and he knew when the "FIX" was in. After "BOOTS" left that job, Ted quit "PLAYING" the horses.

The party was at Sandy Gilcrest's house in Orange Park Acres (A horse community in Orange County, California). I live about a mile from Sandy's old house, in NON horse land! Sandy was Bob Leach's partner at Eliminator, but he'd made his money in home mortgages. After he left Eliminator, he went back to the mortgage business and is still in that business in Newport Beach, CA.

Kim and I both had new Sleek Craft Boats for the Enduro. After Kim Howard's accident, my son, Chad, asked me to quit racing. I did. I've never regretted quitting.
    Yeah, Kim Howard. Drove a brown boat/Merc at Havasu, I think. I remembered the name Sandy after I wrote. Chuck said there was an
    Eliminator in the pool. Were you there, and have I told this before? Had to be June or July, Fred had come to Del Rio to run and announced the
    event. I think we could see the mountains from the lake but am not sure. I quit after 1977-85 because I thought I'd been lucky. Two bad accidents
    where other boats hooked and ran beneath me. I didn't get hurt but they did.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 12-05-2013 at 08:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ride

I'd be in, put cable steering in it

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Was At Kim Howard's Fund Raiser

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe View Post
    Yeah, Kim Howard. Drove a brown boat/Merc at Havasu, I think. I remembered the name Sandy after I wrote. Chuck said there was an
    Eliminator in the pool. Were you there, and have I told this before? Had to be June or July, Fred had come to Del Rio to run and announced the
    event. I think we could see the mountains from the lake but am not sure. I quit after 1977-85 because I thought I'd been lucky. Two bad accidents
    where other boats hooked and ran beneath me. I didn't get hurt but they did.
    Over the years I had done a lot of prop work for Kim Howard. He raced SJ before he ran MOD VP. You can see all kinds of mountains in Orange county. It is warm, clear and beautiful here! That's why about 11 zillion people live in SoCal. Irvine Lake is 5 miles from my house. You can see "FOOTHILLS" all around us, but the mountains aren't very far...
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thread Information