Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Check Out Our 380 Ray Laser

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks, Fyremanbill...

I had an eye doctor appointment today in Fullerton. Yesterday, Bill James was at Apple Valley Marine and called me and asked if I wanted him to bring our gearcase down the hill (100 miles)....I said sure. He said he'd be in Brea today. As it turned out my doctor's appointment was five minutes from where Bill "WORKS"...I put that in QUOTES because that Brea Fire Department is BEAUTIFUL....

Sorry you won't be racing this weekend.....I think we'll make it in our "OLD SCHOOL" Laser....Saving me 200 miles of driving was quite "COOL"...

Pat and I spent the time trying to assembly and mid section...I should been a brain sturgeon.....

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hope everything goes well this weekend. If I ever leave here, maybe I can put the boat back together and get to a race.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pat's Laser

here are some pictures of the laser in progress
    and bringing it hoem from Williams AZ in the snow!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Post Thanks / Like

Allison vs. Lazer, well unfortunately, the Ally would crush the Lazer in a short distance, the Lazer having the 6 carb motor would come on strong at the end but the race was over, the Lazer had a couple mph on the top, like 2, but I attribute that to the motor, the Ally had a 3 carb motor, I think the Ally would have still been faster if the engines were the same, the ally has much less frontal area and cut the wind better. Although, that Lazer beat ALOT of 2.5 EFI engines with that old 3 carb 2.6 on it. Doesn't matter, I loved them both..............

Post Thanks / Like

Default Old School Laser

There were some other pictures of Pat Bowman's Laser, from Parker.... But I wanted everyone to see the semi completed project.

12 Nostalgia Endurances at Parker. Pat managed a third Overall for the two days of racing. He was the only Outboard running in the class.

We had a little SNAFU with our gas line on Saturday, and lucky for us a Cracker Box racer....Ward.......Can't think of his name...told us our line from the tank to the fuel pump was sucking shut...He was right.

Wild looking ride. Pat did an outsttanding job of driving...

Hmm, not sure what part of the boat that first picture is...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Truth Is...

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...?t=5407&page=3

Pat did a great job driving "OUR LASER" but........We need a lot of set up help, yet....or we need a STOKER!!!!!

Laser Guru's help me to not turn this into a SKI BOAT....................on Tuna fisher!!!!!

Louis Collin, Bill Gohr where are you when we need you?? Chris Bush??? I bought this "SUCKER" because Chris Bush said she'd turn on a dime and go 80.....Well, maybe, that's what she does....Kind of like a "ROLL 280 Air Conditioner. You know, roll down two windows and do 80...Few people could have stayed with this boat for 300 miles....

Great job, Pat....BUT, I am a man that knows when he's "LICKED" (WRONG as in incorrect)....Back...Maximus... (Go after Tony, he's in Vagas for the NHRA Drags!!!)....Leave me alone!

We need "MORE JELLO" to quote Craig Selvildge....

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Patrol Boats (Ron Hill)

Ron after talking to you at Apple Valley Marine the other day I got to thinking about the Patrol Boat situation. If you can put togeather the boats I think I might be able to put togeather the crews (retired cops and fireman) I know a bunch that would like to get involved.

Steve Sr.
    647/918 Crew
    The Big "BLUE BRICK"

Post Thanks / Like

Ron, You need to set that motor back 12inches minimum for marathon races where you carry a load of gas. You`ll use less trim and gain more handleing with at least 5mph more. We ran our`s 18inches back with a stock 1986 225 Yamaha Excell. Our minimum weight was 1800lbs with no fuel in the boat and two people with gear. When we loaded the boat with 72 gallons of gas for the Mississippi Marathon race we could radar 92mph and did it for 500 miles of mostly flat water with ocational tow boat traffic. We also ran the same set up in all of the other marathon races with The Outlaws On Water ***. with the shortest race being 150 miles on short 5 mile ovals where the water got pretty rough and never had a transom problem.

DB

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just Tonight....

I was coming home from the BAR . tonight, (I met my optometrist there)...seems, I explained to her, that when I go there my vision gets bad....she vowed to help me!!!! Anyway, I was thinking that with Pat Bowman ADMITTING to weighing 300 pounds, that MAYBE, he weighed more...and having that weight up toward the bow, may effect the handling...

I was thinking "SET BACK" and I get on here and you are says set her back a foot....I agree...Question: Does the transon angle matter?? The reason I ask, I often thought that the bigger transom angle was really like just more set back. I know the first two boats my dad and I build had a MAJOR transom angle, but then my dad said, "It is too much trouble to build those big angles." And we went with 15 degrees but set the motor back 2 to 4 inches which was a TON in those days...

I was looking at the Laser's transom, and thinking if I went back 12 inches at the top of the transom and 14 at the bottom, we should not have to trim so much....

But I understand your thinking of getting the weight back and with BIG PAT'S BODY, maybe 14 inches would be better...

92??? GPS??? We never broke 80 MPH...260 HP, 106 on the EFI box, 40 CC heads...28 Offshore prop...pump gas! just and FYI!

I think we should drop the CC's on the head, but didn't want to go to race gas!

Thanks for the advice..."OLD SCHOOL" may live to race again!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Laser

The test was about quick reply. Didn`t work.

Here`s our numbers. 1.80 gear, 29 pitch prop, 6700rpm`s (rev limiter unplugged), 10& slipp. The prop calculator backs up our Stalker and Keller.
    Chuck Goodman at Hydro Dynamics is a very old friend and did all prop and jackplate work and rode in the back seat during all testing. Prop was worked for as much tail lift as possible.

I raced in the Parker enduro only once and loved it. I`m comming to the 08 race with or without a boat. I can`t stand it any longer.
    Thank you Ron and everyone else for bringing this race back.

DB

Thread Information