Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Check Out Our 380 Ray Laser

Post Thanks / Like

Default It Ain't Like You Think...

We seem to have more ideas that TIME...We've been thinking about the LASER...and we've been thinking about the Laser.....When all has been said and done, much has been said, and little has been done....

We BE COOLING OUR HEELS RIGHT NOW...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looks Like The Laser Will Be Racing

Troy Herbst and Richie Hudson have do a lot of work on the Laser.

The Terrible Herbst Lakeland Marine sponsored rig looks great.
    That 15 inch mid section is the "BOMB"...
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dabull...Need More Set Back???

How are you figuring 18" of set back....From the transom or the keel (at the transom)....???

Seems we may have had the weight too far forward (That was with 300 pound Pat Bowman)....and then maybe we had the weight back too far for Richie and Troy!!!

BECAUSE the boat would start to go fast, then take off like airplane, then land very hard and somewhat crazy.......

I call this 6" set back!

Post Thanks / Like

With your driver being 300lbs that is NOT enough set back. I saw pictures of that boat in the parker race and the motor always looked oner trimmed to me. We ran 18inches from the transom. Yea i know it sounds like alot and it looked kinda strange but it worked. We ran a 1/2inch stainless cable atached to each side of the jack plate and through the transom down to turn buckles mounted to the stringers to support the transom with all that set back. It worked as we ran this set up all year in some really bad rough water. Our shortest race was 300 miles. Longest was 500 on the Mississippi. It was a true test for our set up and the transom stayed put.
    Keep in mind that the more you set the motor back the less trim you need for bow lift so with the motor at more of a level attitude you will get more transom lift out of the prop. This is the only way we could make a 1800 pound V bottom loaded with an additional 500lbs of gas (75gal) to run 92mph on radar. I don`t know where the prop shaft was in relation to the bottom but we were running a totaly stock gear case so this should fall right in with ya`lls limited engine hight rule.
    In the really nasty stuff i would trim the motor down just a little and let the stern lifting prop work for me.

DB

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yamaha Vs Merc....

I have someone interested in racing Our Laser at Parker, and he wants to run a Yamaha.....In 300 miles, will the Yammie be there at the end????

Post Thanks / Like

Ours was the toughest motor i ever ran. I don`t know what Yamaha ya`ll want to run but we ran our Excel 6700 for many hrs a race and we never so much as pulled the heads all year long.

When i was driving for Louis Collins he had a Yamaha (just like our Excel on the 380) and it performed just the same only faster on the lighter Mod-VP Mirage. The only time it had a problem was at a Parker race and some Yamaha factory guy insisted that we get down. Louis didn`t want to because the motor was running perfect spinning a 30 pitch/1.80 gear 6700rpm and no so much as a hickup but the powerhead was supplied by Yamaha and it wasn`t our call. It made it only one hour before it roasted. TO LEAN!!! And of coarse the Yamaha guy couldn`t be found after that.
    Lesson learned, Leave the factory jets in it.

DB

Post Thanks / Like

OK Ron, You got me all fired up talking about the 380 so i reread this intire thread and realized that i may have the winning boat for the 2 liter class at Parker this year so i called up ole T-Rex and told him to save up for it and i would too.

I have an Allison XR-2002 comp that i`m gonna drag race this year but just a quick motor and fuel tank change when the time comes and presto, It becomes a Parker river racer.

T-`rex is gonna build us a 2 liter powerhead and i have a 15 inch mid and lu. Now all we need is some sponsor money and we`ll be there.

I`ll post some pics when i find them.

DB

Post Thanks / Like

Here ya go.

Name:  2niba5d.jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  91.3 KB Name:  ilya10.jpg
Views: 1434
Size:  27.8 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not 2.0 Class...

Vee Bottom Outboard start at the same time as the the 2.0 MOD VP (COR BOATS)...

Vee Bottoms have four rules. props shaft must be no higher than even with the bottom, ANY OUTBOARD,, NO NITROS, VEE Bottom. They car call Division IV

2.0 on MOD VP Boats are Division III, must be 2.0 liter, 2" below the bottom with the propshaft, and 1,550 boat, motor and driver. Gas included at the end of the race)...

Post Thanks / Like

Now thats interesting indeed. I wasn`t aware of the Vee Bottom Outboard class. I like the engine hight rule. Thats something to think about. A 260, Drag/S-3000 or just a modified 2.5 steel bore motor. I`ll talk with T-Rex and see what he wants to do but i like this class.

What class does Al Stoker run?

There should be a lot of lake boats in this class huh?

DB

Thread Information