Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Video clip - World 0-350, Milan, Italy 1988

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Eric,you remind me of a ride in the back of Hans' Porsche down the Ku'damm in Berlin. It was the year before Debbie and I got married so I was by myself and sitting in the small backseat. It was fun and scary at the same time. We had been out on the town and heading somewhere in the early a.m. Han's girlfriend wanted to drive so you know how Hans would have his big grin and shrug his shoulders. He looked and me and said something like "Zoh! ...Vee let her drive now......yes?" He laughed and switched places with her.

We didn't go too far, but we got there quick. It was all in a straight line and I don't recall if we went through any red lights or not. She just wanted to punch the Porsche and see how fast she could go. I can remember bottoming out in the intersections and his girlfriend squealing in delight, but I also remember when she shut it down and we were able to get away without being arrested. Hans laughed and grinned the whole time.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 1970 2.2L 911 E in the garage so I know the back seat of a 911 is not a big space. With three kids, it doesn't get moved too often these days, VW buses rule!

I used to occaisionally go for a short ride with the air cleaners off just so I could hear the wail of six 40mm intakes...hmmmm...my vintage Yamato 250cc has twin 40mm carbs???

Hans was always a hoot. I miss him.
    Had I known 1984 was going to be my peak year, I would have tried harder

Post Thanks / Like

I would just like to add that these boat comparisons are 20 years ago, thats a long time and I'm sure things have changed. I think Oliver Lucas and Marian Jung showed that at Depue when they ran OSY 400. I thought they made up lots of time in the corners. Of course, stock boats aren't the same as PRO boats either.

Dieter always said apples to oranges.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by corin_huke View Post
    I surprises me that Mark Borges and the Popoli boat had limited success in the US. In their day, Popoli was THE boat to have. You'll recall that when the Italians raced in the States in the 250 and 350 Worlds they mostly had Popoli boats, plus the odd Mostes. Is the boat still about, or has it long since ben resigned to the fire - it would be 20 years old!
    Here's a photo of one of the boats Harry brought to the states,This was taken at Bakersfield 1988 ?...Not sure if the driver in the picture is Mark or Harry's son Lee..

In 1989 My brother Will, was driving for Harry...They were at the Kilo's in Oriville, California testing the day before the event when my brother sufferd a very bad blow over in the 500/700 Popoli...Acording to my brother , they had done two runs Well over the existing record and Harry wanted to to make one more small adjustment for the last run..In those days they ran a pnematic "retractable" turn fin....As my brother said, the last thing he did was pull the fin up and ...........Away she went .........the boat was I belive destroid and my brother sufferd some very bad injurys.....He was supose to leave for Italy with Harry the week after the kilo's to do some racing... He never raced again

I had herd that the 350 boat was perchaced by one of the west coast mod guy's ..and it did some time with a D mod Merc on it.....but have no idea where it is now
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mark75H; 03-03-2007 at 06:35 PM.
    Jeff 93-C

Post Thanks / Like

Default thank's to paul and john in chalon 1992

a litle thanks to paul noone and john hill for make autograph for me !!!in chalon sur soane in 1992 (uim f1 world championchips and f500 european chapionchips !!)

Post Thanks / Like

Default oops !!!i want say jonathan jones!!!

john hill autograph it's below !!

Post Thanks / Like

Default for jeff !!

the vella i motore new!!

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff,
    Sorry to hear about your brother. A european cabover was probably not the best idea for a kilo run, too much lift.

Jackus,
    You have some nice stuff. There are some pics of Harry B's Popoli with the moving turn fin. He powered it with a can of propane gas. We saw it in '84 at the 350cc WC in Nottingham. Barely got past scrutineering. The fin set up was on two Pugh's at that time. I never believed in the idea, sure a fin is drag, but you still need some left/right control.

Best pics of all are of the red boat at the end. That is the English built Pugh. We sent plans to Arthur Langman to build a boat for Martyn Smith to run in O-500.

Martyn did not have his international racing license in time for the '88 O-500 WC in Stewartby England. Yamato lent us a new 500cc engine to take over. We were pretty quick, but a Champion spark plug failed, siezed a piston in the first heat. We rebuilt the engine before the third but kinda think the crank was twisted as a result of the sieze.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool photo's Jackus

Eric, here's a nother moveable fin boat you might recognize.
    Jeff 93-C

Post Thanks / Like

Default thank's jeff

thank's for the info jeff!!!! and for the photo !!!

Thread Information