We agree on the wide bottom class but I have a racer and race to put together now. I think your KT and Mel Beard want to race at Parker so we have 3 confirmed. We can start building our local class boats but I kinda wonder why with so many old A boats that are laying around. I think better to use existing boats but work on opening up the rules, with safety in mind, on allowing other motors in that are in the same speed/hp range. After all, ideally, I would like SCSC/SCOA to have a fleet of J's -6 to 8 identically prepared boats that we bring to each race and the J racer's draw at drivers meeting for the boats, not just the prop's for the race that day. This would do more to teach them how to drive and read the water and understand the fundamentals. Also, it would keep the cost, way down as the boats would be virtually identical. Keeping them safe while teaching them how to drive and not have worry about continously searching for speed at this level will get more people involved, especially if they only have to buy/rent a helmet, cut suit, & lifejacket for the weekend. If they like it, they can continue for a maximum of 2 years then at 11 (the APBA rules would have to be modified) years old they can start in AXSH and begin "prepping" their own boat and looking for speed secrets and ways to make it go fast! Just my opinion, but this would for sure attract newcomers and get them "hooked" and create a "feeder" system for the AXSH, then ASH and beyond.
Ross Wallach, SCSC/RPM RACING ENT.