Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: LoveCraft half Transformed into Miss KTdoodle. A story by KT

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default To Be Honest

I can't read them in the testing pics either. I could however, know which boat is KT's from the paint job, and if it were me on Judges stand I would have issued warning to fix them by the next race, not DQ a youngster.

Bill, you need to get some square numbers, not the outline cut ones, they are harder to read. If you need some, I can have the guy who does mine print you some up for what her charges. But I bet there are lots of vinyl people in your area. Whatever you do, get it fixed now so it i snot a problem moving forward.

My theory is this, never give anyone a reason to DQ you, because once you start kicking azz, people will try to find something.

The most easy number to read is a square print out of white and legal size numbers maybe even one inch larger printed inside the square Make sure you leave a one inch border of white on top and bottom of the numbers, as well as the sides. It needs to be where a near blind person can read them to be safe. In larger classes if you have 12 boats coming up for the start it gets hard to tell who is who in all the spray. Don't skimp because they don't look cool. Cool and legal are not to be confused.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tthibodaux View Post
    Well that must be something new because every drivers meeting I've ever been to they tell you after the 3 minute gun to pass the judges stand so they can acknowledge your out to race.

Call it what you want but they got singled out and DQ'ed for reasons we all know.. Read the thread "scenarios of a new class"
    Recently Timmy they do not want boats doing a parade lap thinking they can get the racing done faster. the 3 min gun sometimes is not 3 mins..

Post Thanks / Like

First of all, and by the way thanks for the replies.... IS, KT did not pass the judges stand and went right out onto the course...HOWEVER, at Bakersfield, Lake Ming, the judges stand is about 100-150 yards before turn 1, so, all boats gotta go by them anyway. I'm not trying to slam any of the fine volunteer judges we have here....Simply saying, I think the main issue was that she did not pass the judges stand. I know this is not in the rule book, but can ANYONE find ANY A hydro in all of APBA that looks remotely close to KT's, let alone out of the 4 boat field that ran Saturday???? I personally think that because she did not drive by the judges stand, someone in there got their knickers in a twist, (they all know the boat and who is driving) so, they sent a message by DQing her.

Then, there was 3 heats that ran between the first heat of A hydro, and the
    second heat. As we were pulling up under the shade cover after the second heat was done, Jeff Conant informed us she was DQed. So, me being as calm as I usually am, asked what inept moron let her go 2 full heats without in any way getting word to us as to the judgment call????? He understood and agreed from that perspective.... There was at least 4 officials or varied sorts with radios walking all over the pits who could have easily relayed a message.

So, after our conversation, Jeff (our drivers rep and a mentor of KT's) went back the the stand and came back telling me what I knew they would uphold....Which, is the current situation....

I understand from a judges standpoint where they claim they could not have read the numbers, but come-on....A discretionary rule of any kind leaves the system open for many issues, and I was not born yesterday. Weather intentional or not, politics and relationships can and will enter into any situation where discretion plays a part. No, I'm not claiming this was the case here, just that as written, the opportunity is there and had I spoken to anyone who made that call that day, it would have been very ugly, and looking back, foolish on my part.

We got a roll of black duct tape from Daryl Sorenson (I usually have most colors but was out of black that day) and taped all the way around the numbers....I'll show pics as soon as KT gets her camera back from school.

The next day, after I pitched a jokingly loud gripe, which you will soon see, Mark Wheeler appears in the pit before the race, to check the numbers....Where, he said they were OK, and then told me to take the huge red arrows I put on the cockpit pointing at the numbers off the boat however.....

Had someone checked out the boats on Saturday as was done on Sunday, we would not be having this conversation.

On the positive side, two things we learned stood out.

One, after the 3 minute gun is fired, make sure KT drives so close to the judges stand you can hear here exhaust over the PA....She wanted to wave like she does when we test, but then we were afraid they would call us for taking her hand off the wheel.

Next, looks like I make a bigger black infield and change the flames on the back of the boat....Add I'm even thinking that maybe the black back/white number should be white back, black number, Dave bought up a great point with the spray...White numbers, white spray, no contrast....

Actions I should take resulting from the call? I don't know....Please tell me....I'm too new at this....Is this even worth filing a protest over, because if she finished rather than got the DQ, she would have gotten more points, me thinketh anyway....Or at this time is this a done deal????

Post Thanks / Like

Bill:

The action I would recommend would be to learn from the experience and write it off. It is now done and over.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Skoontz View Post
    Actions I should take resulting from the call? I don't know....Please tell me....I'm too new at this....Is this even worth filing a protest over, because if she finished rather than got the DQ, she would have gotten more points, me thinketh anyway....Or at this time is this a done deal????

bill boyes

Bill, I agree with Joe. I was not at this race so I will not comment other than to say please read rule 6 (5) page 16. of the 2008 APBA rule book.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Agreed

Chalk it up to experience, we all have learned some lessons the hard way in our beggining days. I don't think a protest can be filed this late anyways. Bottom line is this, cover your assets, cause for sure someone is gonna call you on something stupid that common sense says is easy. Just the nature of having rules.

Hopefully you guys will get rolling and turn some heads and make them say hmmm, I better go test cause I gotta beat that Doodle.

Can I reccomend keeping a copy of the rule book in your trailer, and in your everyday driver. When you have a question, look it up in the rule book first, and if it is not clear ask for clarification. I still to this day have to ask someone who speaks rulebook language what it means on certain things.

Post Thanks / Like

Default heyyyy

haven't been on in a while. so thought that i would stop by, looks like you guys have a pretty intense conversation going on. i will be checking in every once in a while!

late--
    KT
    KT SCHWAB
    62C Miss KTDoodle
    2nd place overall AXSH in Copper (:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MissKTdoodle View Post
    haven't been on in a while. so thought that i would stop by, looks like you guys have a pretty intense conversation going on. i will be checking in every once in a while!

late--
    KT
    Hey KT, the boat looks cool! Leave the intense conversation up to us old guys with nothing better to do and you go kick some butt!

Have a fun and safe racing season. GOOD LUCK!
    THIBODAUX RACING... Timmy Thibodaux

Post Thanks / Like

Default Practice, Lake Hodges, 4/13/08

Well, she is coming along. Working on rougher water and keeping the trigger depressed.... I'm going to take Dave's advice and change the numbers to white background, black numbers. This picture sold me on that...Spray over white numbers, I can see the scorers getting confused over something that can easily be corrected.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skoontz View Post
    Well, she is coming along. Working on rougher water and keeping the trigger depressed.... I'm going to take Dave's advice and change the numbers to white background, black numbers. This picture sold me on that...Spray over white numbers, I can see the scorers getting confused over something that can easily be corrected.
    Hey those #'s look good! I bet they can read the dang things now..

The whole boat looks FAST!
    THIBODAUX RACING... Timmy Thibodaux

Thread Information