Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jack Leek: Boat Racer Passes On

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jack Leek: Boat Racer Passes On

I just got an E-Mail that said, "Jack Leek passed way at his home in Tacoma, on Thursday."

I'll admit, that Jack and I yelled at each many times over the years.....but we weren't ever mad at each other, we just had a different idea of how we were going to reach our goal of beating Mercury....

After Jack broke the A Hydro record, in 1952, of 61 MPH, his name always brought a short silence of "RESPECT" in my dad's house....61 MPH was an unheard of speed, even in C Hydro in those days...

Jimbo and I talked to Jack about six months ago, he was in great spirits...Jack was always "Up Beat" even when everything had turned to S&^T, which in the early days of OMC racing, happened often.......There was always tomorrow for Jack.

I called Jack about three months ago, and asked about the four point hydros he designed and Wilbur McDonald built...Jack drew me cool little plans and sent them to me.. I really wanted to see him this summer...I planned to look him up after the Stock Outboard Nationals at Moses Lake, Washington.

I know passing is part of life, but seems to me Jack will always be with me in spirit... He was a Boat Racer first, corporate businessman, Race Director, second... He was a great story teller, always seemed to like, me, Jimbo, Ted May, Barry Woods, John Sanders, John Schubert, Tommy Posey... Freddy Hauenstein...He always treated us with respect, that a father would give his sons (s)...

God speed, Jack.....Now maybe, we can tell some stories about rental cars or.....

Pictures are from December 1955, Speed and Spray. APBA Nationals, Jack was third... Seems, this may be the only picture I have of Jack...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 03-11-2007 at 10:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Leeky Jack--RIP

Sorry to hear of the passing of one of the good boys. He gave a lot to the sport of boat racing. His first claim to fame was, as Ron noted above, was to raised the A Hydro record from 52 to 61. I think it was '54, not '52. He did it with, of all things, a Mercury.

He worked for quite a few years as the OMC Racing Director. He was plenty sharp. He was a real "hands-on" guy. He always was crotch deep in the water helping one of his "Boys." I told Charlie Strang, CEO of OMC and Jack's boss, that I never made a smart decision in my life with a wet crotch. From that day on, Jack wore leather shoes and I never saw him with wet feet. Probably just a coincidence.

At the 1965 APBA Annual Meeting, early one morning Jack a I had a meeting inthe Hospitality suite, and I offered Jack a drink. It was about 7 AM and I was having an orange juice. Jack looked at his watch and concentrated and then said, "Sure, I'll have a whatever (alcoholic), it's 5 O’clock in Singapore.” I learned a lot from Jack.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Barry Woods Tells Me...

Jack Leek Memorial Service, Sunday March 25th, 2:00pm at the Browns Point
    Improvement Club, Tacoma. Casual dress please. For driving directions see
    (corrected) website: www.brownspoint.org

Anyone planning to attend should e-mail Barry Woods at wlearpilot@msn.com so
    they will know approximately how many to expect.

Instead of flowers donations should be sent to the following charity
    organization:
    Smile At Miracles, 3011 S. W. 346 Place, Federal Way, WA 98023
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 03-12-2007 at 09:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jack Leek

Words fail me. Jack treated us well in the race group at OMC.

Jack, I'll catch ya later,
    Bruce

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hands-On

Quote Originally Posted by russhill View Post
    Sorry to hear of the passing of one of the good boys. He gave a lot to the sport of boat racing. His first claim to fame was, as Ron noted above, was to raised the A Hydro record from 52 to 61. I think it was '54, not '52. He did it with, of all things, a Mercury.

He worked for quite a few years as the OMC Racing Director. He was plenty sharp. He was a real "hands-on" guy. He always was crotch deep in the water helping one of his "Boys." I told Charlie Strang, CEO of OMC and Jack's boss, that I never made a smart decision in my life with a wet crotch. From that day on, Jack wore leather shoes and I never saw him with wet feet. Probably just a coincidence.

At the 1965 APBA Annual Meeting, early one morning Jack a I had a meeting inthe Hospitality suite, and I offered Jack a drink. It was about 7 AM and I was having an orange juice. Jack looked at his watch and concentrated and then said, "Sure, I'll have a whatever (alcoholic), it's 5 O’clock in Singapore.” I learned a lot from Jack.
    Jack was a skilled woodworker and had a lot of engine experience. He only started with five techs and they all didn't go to the races. Mouse Wade became the go-to-guy when they hired more techs. As many drivers and crew witnessed "Mouse" was the only guy that could tell Jack to "Back-Off" when he interfered. Jack wisely realized he needed to let the techs do their job. We always tried not to disappoint Jack.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jack Leek

It is indeed sad to hear of Jack's passing. He and his family are in our prayers.

I met Jack in 1969 when I started at OMC and began working with him on the race program in 1976. Jack was always a gentleman and as honest as the day is long. During the hay day of factory racing we were always looking for an advantage over Mercury. Any idea which Jack felt violated the rule book or spirit and intent of the rules was a no-no. At times I found this frustrating, our job was to win. Jack brought honesty and integrity to the game and never wavered.

One year at Parker, Ken Stevenson had a Velden with sponsons extending almost past the transom. Performance was poor and no matter what we tried it did not improve. We were staying at the Kofa and Jack had to attend the drivers meeting which usually lasted a couple of hours. While he was gone Ron Anderson suggested we could cut the rear of the sponson, shorten it and have the boat ready for the race the next morning. Bob Thompson, after a little convincing, gave us the go ahead. No one asked Jack, he was at the drivers meeting.

Ron, Goat & John Hervat, the boat builders on the team, started cutting while the rest of us did what we could to help. By the time the drivers meeting was over the sponsons were off and we were starting to frame things back together.

Anyone who knew Jack knows very well what we expected to happen when he saw the boat!

As Jack walked past he glanced in our direction, held his notepad to cover his head and kept on walking. Not a word!

Next day Kenny led the first lap at Parker. About two laps later the boat started to come apart. Leading the first lap at Parker was always a big deal and we were all elated.

Thanks Jack, you let us keep our jobs.

Post Thanks / Like

"As Jack walked past he glanced in our direction, held his notepad to cover his head and kept on walking. Not a word!" quoate Jim Nerstrom.

Jim (Nerstrom)....Those of us who spent time with Jack saw him, I can see it in my mind, putting his note pad over his head and walking on.......I think Jack learned, probably the hard way, to hold some things in and let them "SETTLE"....

He'd get that look, kind of "Duck his head", turn and head off...

I remember Paris, 1970, when John Schubert and I were drvinging together...I had just gotten out of the boat, and Jack was asking me a few questions..... About that time Johnny made his first lap, and at the pit turn, Johnny passed between two boats and turned inside a third and gained about two positions in class...(Quite a MOVE really...for an Endurance Race)... I really don't think Jack knew John Schubert's driving abilities until that moment. Jack looked at me, with a "Is he OK? Look"...I said Johnny can drive...Jack just turned and walked away....

You mentioned Jack's HONESTY and INTEGRITY.....I guess I never thought about it, but Jack's word was always GOOD. Maybe, it was the ERA, but he and my father had much in common... I ran across this check stub from OMC, Parker 1970, actually. Jack always paid my expenses, I never ripped them off... I usually charged for car gas, OMC paid the rooms, and I figured I'd eat whereever I was... Jack ADMONISHED me for not charging my FULL expenses...

ADD: My dad and Pep Hubbell were great friends. One time, 1949, my dad told me, a young man from Spokane had written him a letter asking questions about piston tolerances, CC's, balance... for 14-15 cubic inch motors....My dad said the questions were many and well thought out....BUT, he admitted he felt these were secrets he had learned the hard way, and never answered the letter...The letter was from Jack Leek.

Jack and Charlice gave me a ride from Chicago to Milwaukee before the 1968 Marathon.....On the way, I asked Jack if this letter was true. He looked at me, and said, "Yes." I said, "My dad said he should have answered it..."

$19.67, I was PAID to drive Race Boats!!!! And LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Havasu 1968

Jack had asked Ted May to drive a Switzer at Havasu, 1968. Ted told Jack if they had an "EXTRA" boat, that Ron Hill was a good driver. Jack told Ted, he really did have an "Extra" boat and to have me come to Havasu.

Well, this was in Septemeber, and no one contacted me. Ted assured me I was supposed to drive at Havasu, Thanksgiving weekend. (There were kilos at Parker that weekend, so we figured we'd go to Havasu and see if there was a boat there, and then go to the kilos...).

Well, when we got to Havasu there was boat, 16 foot Glastron with twin Johnsons....Ernie Dawe had come along to co-drive... Ted had a sleek looking Switzer, and I had a "TOILET SEAT"....I didn't see how we could race the same class, until I drove the boat... It was a ROCKET...Maybe went 70...

Ted lead the first day, two hours, Saturday, four hours Sunday...Gearcase broke driveshafts because of a gasket...

During the two hours Saturday, I stood this Glastron on end a few times...and broke the motor tie downs. Without tie downs the motors tilted up and bent the Ride Guide steering...

OMC's race Team was about Jack and Mouse that year. So, my dad, Jack and I tear into the steering, we pull the cables out of the boat,, and Jack puts the cables over two rocks and tells my dad to hit the cable with this big hammer. Jack is holding the cables with both hands,. My Old man hauls off and hits the cable a good one. The rocks that Jack had the cable on explode, and all the fingers on Jack's hand get smashed...Jack is yell, "Oh, damn, God damn...Oh..." and jumping around. I'm laughing like a Jack ***. Jack finds a couple more rocks, and tells my dad to hit her again.... My Old man hauls off and hits it a good one again and the ROCKS explode again...and smashes Jack's fingers.....AGAIN...By this time, we are all laughing....First day's racing is over.....

Sunday morning, I show up at the driver's meeting, NO ONE FROM OMC is there but me...(Someone moved the clocks to the wrong time)...Anyway, Fred Miller and Paul Kalb are driving together, Burt Ross and maybe Jim Henington are teamed, Ted May is by himself, Ernie Dawe went home...and I was there at the meeting myself...114 boats, people everywhere... They call out Fred Miller, I say, "Here". And move a few feet...They say, "Paul Kalb"...I say, "Here."....I answer for the whole OMC GROUP...

As the meeting is ending, Jack comes driving up....Ted, Miller, Kalb and all... I say, "Just go to the pits and be quiet, they don't know you guys ALL missed the meeting....I don't recall Jack ever missing a meeting after that....

Here's that 16 foot Glastron...
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 03-14-2007 at 10:02 AM.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I never knew Jack. We knew who each other were, but we crossed paths only a few times and so I never got to know him except through others and not personally. A true legend was lost, and I am grateful to BRF for bringing back some of his racing days from way back. Up until now I only knew of the OMC race director days. I only had a couple of dealings with him to be covered some other time. Here is a photo of Jack at Dayton in 1978.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Race Director

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    I never knew Jack. We knew who each other were, but we crossed paths only a few times and so I never got to know him except through others and not personally. A true legend was lost, and I am grateful to BRF for bringing back some of his racing days from way back. Up until now I only knew of the OMC race director days. I only had a couple of dealings with him to be covered some other time. Here is a photo of Jack at Dayton in 1978.
    Thanks for posting and the picture. You are among many that never got to know him. I told him at his retirement he made the job look easy. He handled all the calls "Hello Leek Speaking". When he wasn't at his desk the phone rang all the time. (No voice mail or answering machines back then)

We need more Jack Leek stories. Keep them coming.

Thread Information