Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272829303132

Thread: In memory of racers no longer with us:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    I lost your email address when I had to get a new computer, I'm sorry to

say Bill passed July 13, 2019. This is from Mary Petty.

Bill was always nice, friendly and a gentleman!

More later!
    Didn't Bill Petty run a Switzer Wing? Are those the 1250 with Pipes ? They sounded almost as good as my 6 LOOPER. Had my PUGH F HYDRO at the reunion at DEPUE. I built this one from all the old parts I had laying around. The bottom 4 are SUGAR RAY Nydahl's D looper and the top 2 are Jack Kugler's A Looper. The A was my son Brian's M at one time. I put an alum. plug in the bottom cyl. and ran on one. Sorta "DOGGY" but managed to get 4th at DEPUE one year.

I met a racer some of you "SENIORS" would remember. Texan named Craig Lawrence. He drives a hauler all around the country pulling a trailer that has a NO.88 Nascar CUP SERIES car and racing simulater inside. I guess some of the boat racers got to try it out [I didn't qualify].

I kinda got off the subject. Is the boat in the pic an early Molinari?

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dutchman Hull, All Aluminum

I think this is an early Jan Schoonover Aluminum Boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ronald "Butch" Ackerman 1943-2019 Jimbo's Co-Driver

Ronald Ackerman Sr. (1943 - 2019)
    Guest Book

• "I am so sorry to hear of Butch's sudden passing. Prayers..."- Ida Hermansdorf

PORTSMOUTH — Ronald Lee "Butch" Ackerman, Sr. of Portsmouth, Ohio, gained his wings on October 19, 2019 in Birmingham, AL surrounded by family. Ron was born on November 19, 1943, he was 75 years old. Ron was a member of the Immaculate Conception Catholic Church in Norwood, Ohio. Ron was a paratrooper stationed in Hawaii in the US Army. After his military service, he worked for Wayne Pumps in Ironton, OH and 7-Up Corporation before following his dream and opened a boat shop in Portsmouth & Ironton, OH at the age of 28. Ron's Mighty Mouse race team raced for 11 years during which he accumulated a multitude of victories throughout the US, Bahamas & Holland including 53 1st place finishes, 7 divisional championships, National Championships in 1973, 1981 & 1982 (in 3 different classes), a third consecutive National Championship year capturing the 1983 Formula 100 title in Massachusetts. He became the 1st driver in any class to win the "Triple Crown" of boat racing, making him the most successful single season racing driver in the history of the National Powerboat Assoc. After retiring from racing, he became a Millwright and worked for the Carpenter's Union in the power plants. His hobbies were building and flying his Powrchute planes, hang gliding and visiting historical battlefields.
    He is preceded in death by his parents John & Blanche Ackerman, his wife, Kay Jean Pernell Ackerman, son Ronald Ackerman, Jr and his brother John William "Bill" Ackerman.
    He is survived by his sons, Harley "Deke"(Tammy) Hughes, Birmingham, AL and Bengy (Cathy) Hughes, Portsmouth, OH, his siblings, Robert "Bob" (Mary Jo) Ackerman, Ironton, OH, Melinda Ackerman, Marblehead, OH, David (Joann) Ackerman, Cincinnati, OH, Teresa Jane (Jim) Rudman, Ironton, OH, Judy (Ralph) Winters, Chicago, IL, 12 grandchildren, and 6 great- grandchildren.

Last edited by Ron Hill; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:29 PM.

Thread Information