Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: In memory of racers no longer with us:

Post Thanks / Like

Default Special Paint Schemes

The Gessler and Thirlby Automotive race teams have donned special paint schemes this year to honor Ed Thirlby Sr and Rick Saver who recently passed away. Derrick Gessler has named his runabout the Saver Special in honor of Rick and Andrew Thirlby's runabout will have the paint scheme used by grandpa Ed Sr in his racing days. A fine tribute !!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes F-12 liked this post

Team MSR
    Post Thanks / Like

Default John Yale

John Yale died peacefully on Monday at his home in Meriden, Ct. The wake is Saturday from 2:00 - 5:00 at the Wallingford Funeral Home in Wallingford, Ct.

John started racing in the C and D stock hydro class in the late 50's. After a stint in the Navy, he got serious about boat racing. He won the highly competitive CSH National Championship in 1969 and 1970. He and his partner in crime, Franny Petrillo branched out into AOH. He then started driving DOH for Dick O'Dea, winning Depue in 1973. He also won the 850 hydro Nationals in the late 1970's.

In 1974 he stared building Yale Boats. He built hydro's for all classes of Stock, Mod and Alky. His boats were some of the finest built boats of the day. They won many championships, set many records and won thousands of races. He built boats until the mid 1980's.

After boat racing, John and his son (John Jr.) got into Stock Car Racing. All I can say is that he made the Tech Inspectors work real hard.....

John was a huge influence on my racing and many racers over the years.

Race In Peace John
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kenny Soller OMC Tech

Soller, Kenny OMC Tech

Kenny Soller worked on OMC Race Team 1968-74. Probably the fastest working mechanic I have known.

He changed a broken carburetor minutes before the start of the 1970 Paris Race on Alan Yaw's/Johnson entry. Johnnie Sanders and Tommy Posey went on to win the race.

Kenny died in April, 2004 from an inoperable brain tumor. Michael J Gwaltney

Post Thanks / Like

Default Don and Judy Henrich

Judy has also passed.

DAH Propellers: Donald A. Henrich

For Obituary and details google: Donald A Henrich Portage, WI
    Don died March 15th @88. He had lung cancer and had been under treatment for almost three years.
    Although Don would describe himself as a "blacksmith" he was known for designing a new generation of propellers for Outboard Marine. This talented man was a major contributor to the success of Johnson and Evinrude outboards on race circuits around the world.
    One year at the Parker Enduro his propeller design didn't work. The day before the race each propeller was heated cherry red with a torch and the blades bent to Don's satisfaction. None of the propellers failed in six hours of competition.
    Services will be held Monday March 21, 2016 at Bethlehem Lutheran Church, W8267 Hwy 33 East, Portage WI. Visitation will be from 10am to 12, with services to follow.

ADD:

Ron Hill Don was a pretty good old boy. I spent a lot of time in Europe with him and his wife, Judy, back in the late '60's and '70's. Johnny Woods from St. Louis, was Don's stock broker in the old days. When Johnny took Radio Shack public, Don got in on the ground floor of the stock. It wasn't long after that he quit work at OMC. Johnny made tons of money on the deal, he bought a Ferrari with some of the money. I never saw it, but Don told me the license plate said, "TANDY". I had just won the D Runabout Nationals in Beloit, and on Monday stopped at OMC to pick up my twin engine Jones. Don and I got to talking, I said measure my two best props would you. So, he measured one and said, "It was an 11, nice prop he said." (A Grandpa Seebold). Then, I gave him the second prop, he said, "Wow this thing really screwed up, one blade is 13 and the other is an 11, want me to fix if for you?" I said, "Don't touch it unless you want to die, as I won the Nationals with that prop yesterday....." Old Man Hill prop. I saw Don at Havasu Landing 9 years ago, we had a great talk, his hip was bothering him and he took the ferry back to Havasu City. Rest in peace, my friend. Condolences to the rest of the Henrich family.

Donald Albert Henrich, 88, of Portage, passed away peacefully Tuesday, March 15, 2016, at his home in Saddle Ridge.

Donald was born Jan. 24, 1928, in West Allis. He married Judy Ellen Richmond on Dec. 9, 1961, in Eagle River.

Don was a former owner of Propellers by DAH, and retired as an engineer from Outboard Marine Corp. He received a World War II Victory Medal while serving his country in the U.S. Navy. He was an ardent outdoorsman, an avid hunter and fisherman, as well as a gold prospector. Don was a Mason, as well as a member of the American Legion and Elks Club.

He is survived by his wife of 54 years, Judy; his children, Wendy (Jim) King of Winfield, Illinois, Dana (Tim) O’Neill of the Township of Erin, Jerry (Linda) Okonek of Spooner; his grandchildren, Kelsey, Dan and Kori King, Brendan, Danielle and Kellen O’Neill, and Dan (Allison), Heather and Kyle Okonek; one great-granddaughter, Whitney Okonek; and very special friends, Heather and Jason Stenberg.

Memorial services will be held at noon Monday at Bethlehem Lutheran Church, W8267 Highway 33 East, Portage, with the Rev. Julie Krahn officiating. Military honors will follow. Inurnment will be private. Visitation will be from 10 a.m. to noon Monday at the church.

In lieu of flowers, memorials may be given to Badger Honor Flight Inc., P. O. Box 258066 , Madison, WI 53725 or online at www.badgerhonorflight.org; Hope Lodge, 611 W. Doege, Marshfield, Wisconsin, 54449; or to Bethlehem Lutheran Church.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 3/18/2018 Dr. Charles "Charlie" D. Strang

Sad to Report the Death of Dr. Charles D. Strang

The APBA web site posted the passing of Dr. Charles D Strang. For those of you unfamiliar with him, 'Charlie' was not only the engineering genius behind early Mercs and later OMCs, he was a very successful boat racer in his youth. In fact, he holds championship records that will never be broken since the racing series ended with WW II.

A true lost the boat racing community.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Randy Pierson: 2/7/2019

http://wjon.com/former-avon-marine-o...p-in-illinois/
    Sorry to hear this!

My friend, Randy Pierson. We had been friends since 1984. Randy worked with Barry Woods in the early days of V-8 tunnel boat racing. He worked with Gary Garbrecht at Second Effort. He drove my MOD VP at several Havasu Classics.
    He drove a Yamaha Powered Sleek Craft at the Parker Enduro for at least two years, recently.
    His dad had owned Avon Marine, in Avon, Minnesota. Randy ran this dealership for many years.
    I think he was victim of substance abuse these last few years.
    I hope he rests in peace. He was my friend, we had our ups and downs over the years, but we were always friends.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 02-10-2019 at 07:05 PM.
    Likes VinTin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ed Karelson, Seattle's raceboat builder and one of the very best ever or anywhere, whose beautiful hulls won innumerable championships and records in several categories.
    Thanks crewman060 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default F. Pierce Williams

Famed motorsports photographer F Piece Williams was killed in a fatal car accident in Ohio last Thursday. Very sad news. I admired his work very much.

https://www.whio.com/news/local/repo...Nr60SY26Ok44H/
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default F. Pierce Williams Such An Asset to Boat Racing: RIP

I'm not sure I ever met him, but I enjoyed his great photography always. Only 55, and gone! Rest in Peace friend of Boat Racing.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 09-17-2019 at 09:34 AM.
    Likes F-12 liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fabio Buzzi

Unfortunately Ing. Fabio Buzzi died on Sept 17 during a powerboat speed record attempt from Montecarlo to Venice
    Inventor and great designer and boat builder winner In many categories in particular off shore and holder of many speed records. Played a very important role for powerboat development and innovation.
    R.I.P Ingegnere

Thread Information