I met Steve the first time at Lakeland, Florida for some UIM World Championship races. It was the morning after he got his rump buzz sawed at the judges stand when a boat ran up from behind. Joe Rome had been telling me for a few years about that "Masked Man" Steve Litzell. I couldn't believe it that next morning when Joe introduced me to Steve, and he was walking around. It was really like I had known him all along, and unfortunately for me I could have. Steve knew who I was having pitted and raced with Ralph along the way in the 70's. After I got to know him I asked him "How come I don't remember you from back then?" He told me he was shy!

After I got to know him, I find it hard to believe he used to be shy. Steve was one of the funniest, most gregarious guys I ever got to know. I'm sad that I didn't get to know him until after I quit racing, but I also told him that it was probably a good thing that I didn't know and hang out with him while I was racing. Ralph knew him for so many years, and also knew many of the guys from Steve's time in Germany. I don't know if Ralph would agree with my assessment, but to me Steve was America's answer to Hans George Krage. Full of life, full of laughter and stories, and full throttle to the end.