Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: In memory of racers no longer with us:

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fabio Buzzi

I want to add a couple of pictures of Ing. Buzzi. Always inspired me every time I saw his boats at racing events.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks Powerabout thanked for this post
    Likes F-12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bill Petty, Ohio Boat Racer Passed on July 13, 2019

I lost your email address when I had to get a new computer, I'm sorry to

say Bill passed July 13, 2019. This is from Mary Petty.

Bill was always nice, friendly and a gentleman!

More later!
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 10-03-2019 at 02:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ronald "Butch" Ackerman 1943-2019 Jimbo's Co-Driver

Ronald Ackerman Sr. (1943 - 2019)
    Guest Book

• "I am so sorry to hear of Butch's sudden passing. Prayers..."- Ida Hermansdorf

PORTSMOUTH — Ronald Lee "Butch" Ackerman, Sr. of Portsmouth, Ohio, gained his wings on October 19, 2019 in Birmingham, AL surrounded by family. Ron was born on November 19, 1943, he was 75 years old. Ron was a member of the Immaculate Conception Catholic Church in Norwood, Ohio. Ron was a paratrooper stationed in Hawaii in the US Army. After his military service, he worked for Wayne Pumps in Ironton, OH and 7-Up Corporation before following his dream and opened a boat shop in Portsmouth & Ironton, OH at the age of 28. Ron's Mighty Mouse race team raced for 11 years during which he accumulated a multitude of victories throughout the US, Bahamas & Holland including 53 1st place finishes, 7 divisional championships, National Championships in 1973, 1981 & 1982 (in 3 different classes), a third consecutive National Championship year capturing the 1983 Formula 100 title in Massachusetts. He became the 1st driver in any class to win the "Triple Crown" of boat racing, making him the most successful single season racing driver in the history of the National Powerboat Assoc. After retiring from racing, he became a Millwright and worked for the Carpenter's Union in the power plants. His hobbies were building and flying his Powrchute planes, hang gliding and visiting historical battlefields.
    He is preceded in death by his parents John & Blanche Ackerman, his wife, Kay Jean Pernell Ackerman, son Ronald Ackerman, Jr and his brother John William "Bill" Ackerman.
    He is survived by his sons, Harley "Deke"(Tammy) Hughes, Birmingham, AL and Bengy (Cathy) Hughes, Portsmouth, OH, his siblings, Robert "Bob" (Mary Jo) Ackerman, Ironton, OH, Melinda Ackerman, Marblehead, OH, David (Joann) Ackerman, Cincinnati, OH, Teresa Jane (Jim) Rudman, Ironton, OH, Judy (Ralph) Winters, Chicago, IL, 12 grandchildren, and 6 great- grandchildren.

Last edited by Ron Hill; 10-24-2019 at 01:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default RIP Tim Small Nov. 13 2019

It is with much sadness I post the passing of Tim Small who lost his battle with cancer on November 13 2019. While a fierce competitor on the water Tim was as quiet and unassuming a guy as you could find in the pits. During the downtime at races you would often see him tossing a football or throwing a baseball with kids. His practice was to hand out his award medals to young kids that were present at the award ceremonies. Tim was on the Board of Directors of the US Title Series, a 15 time PRO National Champion, numerous USTS High Point Championships and won the USTS Elite Driver award many times. Tim was 63.
    Thanks dlmurray thanked for this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll never forget sitting on the tailgate having an amazing conversation with Art Kennedy at the Miami Marine Stadium where a bunch of the drivers went for testing during a race weekend in Fort Lauderdale. I was a young driver of the modified version of EP and Art treated me like family. He inspired me to compete in F1 late in my racing career. Race in peace.
    Lon

Post Thanks / Like

Default Russel Frederick "Freddie" Goehl

I received word yesterday of the passing of Freddie Goehl. Rest in peace Freddie.

https://www.callawayjones.com/russel...-freddy-goehl/

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

My good friend and Racing buddy Steve Jones passed away Monday week before last. His wife Karen left a message on our phone. She told me that Steve had been trying to get ahold of me for several months. I told her I had been trying to find him for more than 15 years. Ever since I joined BRF. I have such wonderful memories of Steve. A lot I never have posted because I thought sooner or later he would show up on this site and we could share memories and photos. Alas, it was not to be. I will hook up my new scanner sometime soon (can't see too good in crowded and dark spaces anymore) to print some photos for Karen for the memorial service. With the virus, there was really no funeral, so when everything settles down, she will have a memorial get together. Steve and I traveled together more than any other of my boat racing friends to the TV stations, advertisors, print companies, and potential sponsors to promote our racing in South Texas. I am very saddened that he is gone, and that we were not able to get together in these last few months.

Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default In Memory of Former Inboard Racer

In memory of the late Ken Helwig, Raced 280 Inboard in the 60s and 70s, then started racing Jersey skiff until 60 years old passed away Aril 19th 2020 at a age of 88 may he rest in peace Sarnia Ontario
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bill Kurps

It was posted today on the USTS Facebook page that Bill Kurps passed away on Thursday July 23rd. Bill was a long time Alky\PRO driver and also served as a referee for the USTS for a few years. Thoughts and prayer go out to Joyce and the family.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by racingfan1 View Post
    It was posted today on the USTS Facebook page that Bill Kurps passed away on Thursday July 23rd. Bill was a long time Alky\PRO driver and also served as a referee for the USTS for a few years. Thoughts and prayer go out to Joyce and the family.
    Bill Kurps,

Bill lived about 20 mi. from us when he lived up north. When I started racing and had a question he usually had the answer. Sorry to hear of his passing. Hang in there Joyce.

Bruce and Shirley

Thread Information