Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hedlund Marine Ron and Gerry Hedlund

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hedlund Marine Ron and Gerry Hedlund

Christopher Hedlund checked in and a I added his post but managed to delete the Hedlund post.

Hi Ron,

I still remember you staying over at our place years ago! It has been on our agenda to give you a call, and indeed we have many pictures to scan and share.

I have have seen your posts and have a nearly complete list: Dad, three APBA BU championships and one IUM 5 Mile speed record BU (still standing). Gerry one APBA national championship. Stover had five BU national championships in Hedlund Boats. Eight ASH or BSH APBA championships, 2 UIM ASH top speed records and 2 UIM ASH 5 Mile records. Many others as you know. Hedlund Drivers included Ron, Gerry, Stover, Jerry Waldman, Bob Hering, Phil Wagner, Stu Doc Wilson, Lee Sutter, Mike Minea, Brian Berger, Roy Mina, Chip Hanauer, Mark Tate, and others. Will send details later.

I am also working on a memorial page for dad to submit to the Propeller - nearly done and will send it to you. Trying to put a book together for my nieces, so actively collecting info from anybody I can. Also looking for a Hedlund Hydro and 20H motor for them if you know any original ones available. I still have Taboo 1-V. Also, I still have copies of hydro plans if you know anybody that wants them.

It has been a busy year as you can imagine and mom is in the hospital at the moment. Hope you and your family are doing OK and I will look forward to talking before long.

Meanwhile I have a couple pictures below to share with you. 1) Gerry (left), Dad (right), Taboo and 1960 trophies in back of Hedlund Marine 2) Gerry at Waukesha WI mid-late 60’s, 3) Hedlund Hydros 1st-4th BSU at 1968 Nationals in Seattle…Left to Right: Berger, Minea (1st), Wilson and ? (photos 1& 2 by Gunnar Hedlund, photo 3 by Gerry).

Most of all, thank you for being a good friend to dad and Gerry

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 07-17-2023 at 07:33 PM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    Christopher Hedlund checked in and a I added his post but managed to delete the Hedlund post.

Hi Ron,

I still remember you staying over at our place years ago! It has been on our agenda to give you a call, and indeed we have many pictures to scan and share.

I have have seen your posts and have a nearly complete list: Dad, three APBA BU championships and one IUM 5 Mile speed record BU (still standing). Gerry one APBA national championship. Stover had five BU national championships in Hedlund Boats. Eight ASH or BSH APBA championships, 2 UIM ASH top speed records and 2 UIM ASH 5 Mile records. Many others as you know. Hedlund Drivers included Ron, Gerry, Stover, Jerry Waldman, Bob Hering, Phil Wagner, Stu Doc Wilson, Lee Sutter, Mike Minea, Brian Berger, Roy Mina, Chip Hanauer, Mark Tate, and others. Will send details later.

I am also working on a memorial page for dad to submit to the Propeller - nearly done and will send it to you. Trying to put a book together for my nieces, so actively collecting info from anybody I can. Also looking for a Hedlund Hydro and 20H motor for them if you know any original ones available. I still have Taboo 1-V. Also, I still have copies of hydro plans if you know anybody that wants them.

It has been a busy year as you can imagine and mom is in the hospital at the moment. Hope you and your family are doing OK and I will look forward to talking before long.

Meanwhile I have a couple pictures below to share with you. 1) Gerry (left), Dad (right), Taboo and 1960 trophies in back of Hedlund Marine 2) Gerry at Waukesha WI mid-late 60’s, 3) Hedlund Hydros 1st-4th BSU at 1968 Nationals in Seattle…Left to Right: Berger, Minea (1st), Wilson and ? (photos 1& 2 by Gunnar Hedlund, photo 3 by Gerry).

Most of all, thank you for being a good friend to dad and Gerry

Chris
    the guy standing behind the 40-f boat is billy hutchins, not berger.
    Thanks hedlundracing thanked for this post
    Likes hedlundracing liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the correction. I actually think this is after Seattle as Minea has the two championship flags on his deck, in his later years dad thought this might be seattle (or maybe I misunderstood). Does anyone know where and when this photo was taken, or who the is the driver on the far right.

Appreciate all the kind words captured in previous posts from friends about uncle Gerry and dad, who recently passed away. I will share them with the rest of my family.

Many more photos to come in the following weeks.

thanks again,

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Default Who Are the Other People?

I feel I know them, but not sure. One is Doc Wilson....

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

Another side story….. At the 1968 Seattle Nationals Bill Starrett of Salem, Oregon bought Mike Minea’s B boat and prop. He didn’t like driving the boat(he had been a Marchetti guy). I bought the boat from Bill and ran it in ASH…..I put an extended steering wheel in it. It was immediately 2 - 3 miles faster than my Sid Craft. With the narrower bottom than the Sid’s (the Sid’s were 34 -35 inches wide and the Hedlunds were 31 inches wide). You could jack up the motor more on the Hedlunds. The Hedlunds revolutionize the A - B hydro classes and dominated for about a decade. If you didn’t have a Hedlund you were in 2nd place.

Chris, I saw you and your dad and Gerry at the 2017 San Diego Unlimited Bayfair race and had a great discussion with them. The Hedlund name is Iconic in boat racing. I would talk with your dad quite often before his passing. He remembered everything. He told me the story behind the Hedlund runabouts and the mold from which they were made. Best regards, Dean Hobart.
    Dean Hobart
    Thanks Ron Hill, hedlundracing thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill, hedlundracing liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for sharing that Dean, much appreciated.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ron Remember Mike Mineau coming to the Canadian Nationals to race BSH with his Hedland after he had just won the American Nationals and won both the American and Canadian Nationals that year in BSH. Cannot remember the year a little history very nice person from Florida remembering from Fort Laterdale
    Thanks hedlundracing thanked for this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Photo of dad (Ron) testing his BU 'Taboo' 1-V - I believe in Elgin IL, 1959 or 1960

Scanned Image 13 1.jpg

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ron & Gerry

Ron and Gerry testing, again probably Elgin IL 1959-1960

Scanned Image 14.jpg

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dad in another Hedlund BU that he built

Scanned Image 9 1.jpg

Thread Information