Thread: In memory of racers no longer with us:

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That is very sad news indeed. Lowell was a good friend. I first met him before he raced boats and was an apprentice of Tim Butts. Tim had so many boats to build he needed help, and Lowell proved to be an excellent boat builder. I never asked Tim what he thought about Lowell starting his own line of boats, and Tim never has said anything contrary about Lowell's boats. It was the same with Lowell. He always had the highest regard for Tim.

From what I can remember is that Lowell was a neighbor of Tim Butts and became fascinated with Tim's work and the sport of boat racing. He became totally immersed in it, and made a name for himself and his work.

God bless the Schumacher family, and ...Lowell....rest in peace my friend!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lowell Schumacher

Lowell Schumaker one of the nicest guy you will ever meet.
    So sad to hear the news.
    See you at the Finish Line my friend, rest in peace.
    Bill & Joyce

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bob "Rapid Robert" Waite

I don't think I ever raced against "RAPID ROBERT" Waite but I for sure knew his name. Many in Region 10 knew and loved him...Rest in peace.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stevie West

RIP Stevie West

For those racers and crews in tbhe region elevenn area throughout the 80's and 90's you would probably know Stevie West as she was the region secretary and a referee along with also being a chief scorer. She passed away on june 6. There will be a service held at 11 oclock on thurs. June 14 at PL Frys funeral home in Manteca, Ca. There will also be a gathering at her home following the services for those who wish to visit with the family.

Stevie was RJ West and Warren West's mother, always pleasant to everyone around her. She'll be missed.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Paul Birbarie D-1

It is with heavy heart that I inform of the passing of my dad, Paul Birbarie yesterday June 15th. Dad won many state, regional and national championships in addition to setting several speed records back in the 30's and 40's. Following is a link to his profile from when he was inducted into the Branford Sports Hall of Fame.

http://branfordsportshalloffame.com/birbarie.htm

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by sbirbarie View Post
    It is with heavy heart that I inform of the passing of my dad, Paul Birbarie yesterday June 15th. Dad won many state, regional and national championships in addition to setting several speed records back in the 30's and 40's. Following is a link to his profile from when he was inducted into the Branford Sports Hall of Fame.

http://branfordsportshalloffame.com/birbarie.htm
    Skip,

My sincerest condolensces. Mourning the loss of a loved one is very hard, but the memories will sustain you.

Post Thanks / Like

Very sorry to hear of the passing of your Dad Skip. John said it right. Your Dad was a very talented man and you and your family have lots to be proud of. Thanks for sharing the information on his induction to the Bradford Sports Hall of Fame. I never heard of schools having boat racing teams until I saw the movie "Bernadine" Since then I have heard more about it and thought how cool that could be. Your Dad was in a time and place that was unique period of our boat racing history. He was part of a very unique group. God bless you and your family Skip, and rest in peace Paul.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grier Passed on June 20, 2012

Grier passed away this past Wednesday morning after a difficult illness.

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ad.php?t=11587

Post Thanks / Like

Very sorry to add two more to the list today Ron.

Pioneer Konig racer Deannie Montgomery of Corsicana, Texas passed the Sunday before last, and today our honorary Texan from Louisiana, former boat racer and then pit man for Louis Williams, Jr...Reles LeBlanc.

You were at the Lone Star Reunion when Deannie showed up with a bunch of old pictures Ron. I remember watching you go through them. He raced one of the first Konigs. Not sure about this, but I believe the pristine Konig George Taylor bought last year was imported by the oldest dealer in Texas, Dick Carstens. George and Deannie were racing at the same time when Dieter first came over to promote his motors.

When we got our first real alky equipment and made our first legal start, it was Reles we followed to the race course. We were friends before I actually met Joe Rome, and enjoyed his Cajun wit. Reles was salt of the earth. My Dad and Reles' Dad got along really well even though they could not speak to each other. Reles' Dad only spoke Cajun French, but they instinctively understood what was going on between them.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lone Star Reunion

Having never raced in a Lone Star race, when I helped "Promote" the Lone Star reunion, I was so "Blown Away" with all the people I met and saw at the reunion. It was a great event.

On the Hill Family Thread, I have been writing about John Drake, in 1956, John Drake, my brother, Russ, and his girl friend "Paining Penarilli" and I went to a "MONEY" Race in Phoenix.

I wasn't old enough to race in this "Money Race", but I watched "Wide eyed", every heat. The announcer kept talking about "Deannie Montgomery".....If you saw me looking at Deannie's pictures, at the Lone Star reunion, it was because I never met Deannie, I only watched him race.

This reunion was in 2005, I think, but seeing pictures from 50 years earlier was so cool, really.

I'm very sorry to hear of Deannie's passing. Yes, he was running some very fast Konigs.

Thread Information