Thread: In memory of racers no longer with us:

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Jodie loved boat racing, raising orchids his fiance, and life. He could fly that Stoker higher and faster then his brother or me. He is missed by his family and will never be forgotten. We LOVE you Jodie!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default John Meyers, J-DUB's Dad

I really didn't know John very well. At Lake Lawerance, 1977, John broke the C Runabout five mile competition record. I broke the D Runabout record and the D Hydro Record the same day. I ran second to John in C Runabout.

I met J-Dub at various races over the years. About six years ago he stopped by my house to talk "PROPS". Out of the blue he said, "Tell me the truth about my dad's C Runabout record." I said, "Simple, J-DUB, I got a good start and your dad ran past me on the way to the first turn, he was fast." J-DUB said, "Well that is what my dad always said, but I wasn't sure that was the truth."

The last time I saw John was at the Hydroplane Museum, about six years ago when I went to Jack Leek's memorial ceremony with Jimbo McConnell. John made me pitch gauges and he brought a few to the museum for me..

I'm sorry for John's passing as I know John is from my era, I realize that for me, there are more yesterdays than tomorrows.

From what I knew of John, he knew his ****.....He was proud of J-DUB and so am I.

Good bye my friend, next time we race on a record course, I'll beat your ***!

Post Thanks / Like

John Myers. Oh, no. This hurts. In the mid/late Sixties John, along with his dad, Bill, was running pretty much all of the alky and stock 2-cylinder classes, but mostly BSH, AOH, and BOH, at the same time I was running BSH/AOH. One day at Vasa Park he had his BSH really hauling, out front, and violently flipped it in the second turn. I think at that point John decided that BSH was one class too many; Ken Knowlan ended up with the boat (which I once drove . . . and flipped in a second turn; it was, very unusually for anything Karelsen built, a little cranky). John and his pop were among the earliest adopters of the Quincy loop engines in Reg. 10 (though for a time Bill continued to run an ancient crossflow Konig in BOH). One of the old Quincy employees here might comment on this recollection, that the earliest 2-cyl, flatheads had some kind of top crankshaft bearing adapter that had problems. I remember John having to put his new B loop back in the trailer one afternoon at Lawrence Lake. It was a cold, wet, miserable September day, and John was so discouraged that he was talking about getting out of racing entirely. But he got over that, kept working with the Quincys, and ultimately had a particularly strong-running A motor.

John and his family and his folks (I don't know his son, only saw him as a small child) were as fine a bunch as you'll ever encounter, and the backbone of Seattle Outboard racing for decades.

Post Thanks / Like

J-Dub

Here's a post from a couple years ago...

J-Dub
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dads collection

Here are a couple of the 8 loopers he has. There are two deflectors buried in the pile too. He said the were 5 B's, 2 A's, 1 D, and an A, b and a 60" deflector. I will dig them out and take better photos later.

J-Dub

Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

The family has created a knockout video on John, including a ton of racing stills. It appears there weren't many classes John hadn't run at some point in his life! Mr. Gleason has kindly provided a link to the video over on hydroracer.net in the Reg. 10 news section.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to pay credit where credit is due, Patrick Gleason made this video. Patrick absolutely "Sent it out of the park" with his efforts.
    My family is so very appreciative of his efforts with the video as well as being our speaker/ MC/ Referee at the memorial.

Thank you Pat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-bQfJSpaq0

J-Dub

Post Thanks / Like

One of the best I have seen. Great Job!!!!!!!!!!!!

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never seen one as good as that. He must have always had that smile because he got it in nearly every picture but a few.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful tribute. Loved the closing farewell by Warren Zevon.

Thread Information